Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday Gossip!

It's Martin Luther King Day here in the United States - which means a three day weekend for us working stiffs - but I think its also a time to think about the great inequalities that still plague our country. I know the USA likes to put on a good face for the rest of the world but we still have a lot of work to do.

For example, there is this unspoken divide in popular American culture where entertainment featuring Black artists is mostly aimed at Black audiences. So, there will be a Black section of the record store and a Black section of the video store and a Black section of the book store - all labeled "Urban," because it wouldn't be politically correct to label them as what they actually are. While I think there will (and should) always be a place for entertainment directed solely at a minority audience, I wonder how much amazing culture we as mainstream (i.e. white) America are missing because we see somebody's skin color and automatically think - "oh, that's urban and therefore not for me."

In that spirit, here are a few of my recent favorite songs from Black artists.







And now GOSSIP!

* An article was posted today on the
changing audiences for Bollywood films that is completely bogus.

"Earlier, people used to say that a poor man going to watch a film does not want to see his problems on the screen. But now, the middle class is more confident about watching characters similar to them," says Faisal.

Even leaving aside the faulty association of 'poor' with 'middle class,' this is nonsense. The middle class has always loved stories about themselves and if the poor hated stories about themselves so much, then why do things like
Singh is Kinng and Dabangg do so well in single screen cinemas? What these artsy producers want to happen is for artsy films about the very poor to do well WITH the very poor and that is not going to happen. If producers want to reach a wide Indian audience again, they need to re-learn to make masala films like they do down South - with a lower class hero who fights injustice in his own way.

There was NEVER a time in cinema where everybody only wanted to watch rich people swanning around doing rich people stuff.

* Oscar Award winning sound engineer Resul Pookutty is on my side - he wants to
support single screen cinemas.

* SIGH. I highly doubt
Players will boost tourism in New Zealand.

Nirang Desai, the film's line producer, says the tourism exposure for New Zealand will be significant. "It's going to be huge. It's not just the billion population in India back home, but also the Indian diaspora which is all over the world."

Um... no.

* Long standing partners IIFA and Amitabh Bachchan have
broken up. It's too bad because Aishwarya deserves some awards this year.

* I love
Akshay Kumar.

"I am not a great actor - I am an average actor. Hard work and honesty have carried me so far. I only understand commercial films. When I look at a script and feel I can do it justice, I go for it."

And we appreciate that dedication to our entertainment.

* Will we see Katrina Kaif paired opposite
Shahrukh Khan?

* NAHIIIIIIIIIIN! WHY?! If there is one film that doesn't need remaking it is
Chupke Chupke. Why not remake Guddi as a showcase for Anushka Sharma instead? Or an updated take on Kora Kagaz?

* Salman Khan is
ditching booze to get back into shape. Remember when he did the same for Veer?

* And Hritihik calls Salman
paranoid on an episode of Koffee With Karan.

* Mallika Sherawat is doing an item song for
Thank You.

3 comments:

Ness said...

Hahah I'm gonna go scope out the filming in Welly on the weekend...no reports of big star sightings or anything have been flooding my cellphone yet, LOL.

The only Bollywood film I know of that massively boosted tourism to NZ was Kaho naa pyaar hai. Apparently the influx of Indian tourists and also people wanting to emigrate here increased so much after that film came out (with Hrithikmania and all) that they needed to build a new section to process all the applications!

As much as I love Abhi - yeah, I don't see that happening with Players. LOL.

Bluemay said...

Singh is King and Dabangg are not about the poor. The poor have never wanted to see films depicting their lives even if they are presented in masala style. Even the SI masala films do not show the slums or poor living conditions (i.e no plumbing, electricity).

Filmi Girl said...

@bluemay Thanks for the comment! :) I need people to keep me honest - you are right, they are not really about the very poor but they are about regular good-hearted people who have money troubles.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl