Friday, January 7, 2011

Bollywood films for 2011!

Tired of rehashing 2010? Me, too! I’m sure there will be plenty more chances as the awards shows cycle through but for now, let’s look forward to 2011!

Here are the Bollywood films I’m really looking forward to:



Film:
No One Killed Jessica
Director: Rajkumar Gupta
Stars: Rani Mukerji, Vidya Balan
Release Date: January 7, 2011

Why? As far as I’m concerned, the tagline for the film may as well be: “The bitch is back.” Rani Mukerji back on the big screen and paired opposite Vidya Balan? I think you know I’m already in line for tickets. Oh, and social commentary blah, blah, female empowerment, blah... but did you see them kissing during the promotional tour?
Rani, call me!

Plus a score by Amit Trivedi!



Film:
Patiala House
Director: Nikhil Advani
Stars: Akshay Kumar, Rishi Kapoor, Dimple Kapadia, Anushka Sharma, Hard Kaur
Release Date: February 11, 2011

Why? We all know I’m the president of the Akshay Kumar No. 1 Ladies Fan Club and have seen every one of his films in the theater since 2007, so obviously I’m going to go see
Patiala House. The reason I’m looking forward to it is that the story appears to be one of my favorite kinds - cheering for the underdog. And when the underdog is played by my favorite underdog Akshay Kumar and when he is backed up by class acts Rishi Kapoor and Dimple Kapadia, it makes it all that much better.

Plus, I may be alone in this but I genuinely enjoyed all of Nikhil Advani’s previous films.



Film:
Tanu Weds Manu
Director: Anand Rai
Stars: R. Madhavan, Kangana Ranaut, Jimmy Shergill
Release Date: February 25, 2011

Why? Besides the fact that I just adore Kangana Ranaut, this has the potential to be another
Band Baaja Baaratt, a cute romantic-comedy that is about real people. I highly approve of the fact that the director had Kangana gain a few pounds to make her look less like a model and more like a real girl. I haven’t seen the director’s previous films, so this is kind of a crap shoot but it’s a crap shoot, I’m happy to take.



Film:
Ready
Director: Anees Bazmee
Stars: Salman Khan, Asin, Arya Babbar (!)
Release Date: May or June

Why? Two words: Salman Khan. Four more words: In another Southern remake. Sallu has cornered the market on new-wave masala in Bollywood and I have really enjoyed his previous outings Wanted and Dabangg. Anees Bazmee is hit or miss but I’m hoping that this one will be more Singh is Kinng and less No Problem. As far as I’m concerned, Ready is the front runner for the blockbuster of 2011! Plus, if Arya Babbar and his beefy physique are in the role of the villain (hopefully a Ranjeet-style villain), I will be a happy, happy girl.



Film:
Rock Star
Director: Imtiaz Ali
Stars: Ranbir Kapoor, Nargis Fakhri
Release Date: May or June

Why? I may not be a fan of the recent crop of “youthful” romantic-comedies but director Imtiaz Ali’s
Jab We Met remains one of my favorite films. Now take Imtiaz Ali’s playful style and add the most talented Youngistani actor Ranbir Kapoor and you have a film I want to see. Honestly, I don’t even care what it’s about or who Ranbir’s co-star is... as long as it’s not Priyanka or Deepika, I’m already in line for tickets.



Film:
Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara
Director: Zoya Akhtar
Stars: Hrithik Roshan, Farhan Akhtar, Abhay Deol, Katrina Kaif, Kalki Koechlin
Release Date: May or June

Why? Although I didn’t really like
Luck By Chance, I am looking forward to director Zoya Akhtar’s upcoming film for a few reasons, top amongst them is Hrithik Roshan. Shot on a shoestring budget in Spain (a little birdie told me that certain cast members didn’t even get paid), the film should be a nice acting showcase for some of the most talented actors in Bollywood... and Farhan Akhtar. Plus, it will be interesting to see how Katrina does in a less stylized role than she has had to do in the past.



Film:
Desi Boyz
Director: Rohit Dhawan
Stars: Akshay Kumar, John Abraham, Deepika Padukone
Release Date: Undetermined, possibly Diwali

Why? Beause I love a hot mess and a film about Akshay and John playing male strippers directed by David Dhawan’s son certainly qualifies. I do feel bad for Akshay, though, since audiences and the media seem to reject him in almost everything outside this David Dhawan-style wacky comedy role these days.



Film:
Dostana 2
Director: Tarun Mansukhani
Stars: Abhishek Bachchan, John Abraham, Katrina Kaif
Release Date: Undetermined

Why?
Dostana was hilarious; Dostana 2 promises amp up the hilariousness. End of story.



Film:
Kick
Director: Shirish Kunder
Stars: Salman Khan, Sonakshi Sinha
Release Date: Undetermined

Why? I love Shirish Kunder. He’s weird and kind of crotchety and his style lines up nearly perfectly with my tastes. I’m crossing my fingers for this one - not because I’m afraid I won’t like it, but because I’m afraid audiences won’t. And hopefully it will be scheduled far, far away from any Shahrukh Khan films.

And a couple of in-the-air films - Reema Kagti’s next starring Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor, and Rani Mukerji is going to be a must-see! Shirish Kunder’s
Joker 3D with Akshay Kumar is going to be a must-see for me, if it takes off, and I’m crossing my fingers that Arshad Warsi will get a nice juicy role or two from all this Ishqiya awards fuss.

4 comments:

Doonboy said...

Great list. For sure all of them are worth watching in theatre.

Lime(tte) said...

As I keep telling everyone: Show more Indian films at German theaters!

Michael Barnum said...

I will be seeing Tanu Weds Manu
also...Madhavan and Jimmy Sherigill I cannot miss!

Shell said...

All of these sound awesome, even the ones I hadn't heard about before, though, of course I will be heading to the theatres for my Shah films.

And Akshay and John as male strippers! Um, hellz ya!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl