Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday Gossip!

Goooooooooood morning, world!



GOOD MORNING, MADHURI!

Enjoy her on
Jhalak Dikhla Jaa!



Let's hit the gossip!

* Shahrukh Khan is under fire for his performance in
Dhaka - among the charges: smoking cigarettes.

* And the best thing you will read all day,
Govinda goes to get a hair treatment and then leaves before the treatment because his astrologer told him to.

* Despite my campaigning to bring Preity Zinta back, it's Priyanka Chopra for
Krrish 2.

* Lolo is talking
D.I.V.O.R.C.E. again.

* Manisha Koirala has stopped talking divorce but is still
bored being a housewife and wants to get back to acting.

* Abhay Deol is doing an item song in
Tera Kya Hoga Johnny!

* Saif is replacing Ajay Devgn in
Aarakshan.

* Will we see a movie about
the inside story of 1947? Read an interview with the author of "Indian Summer."

Did it ever strike you that the book would make for a good screenplay?

From the start, I was struck by the filmic aspects of the story. First, because India itself is epic. Second, because there's a poignant human story at the centre of it. On film, the way you make sense of epic events is usually by identifying a human story to take you through. There are deliberate references in "Indian Summer" to the Hollywood movies
Casablanca and Brief Encounter, both of which resonate with the emotional core of the book. I haven't been involved in the adaptation – having written the book as history, I didn't want to rewrite it as fiction.


* Milan Luthria is a man after
my own heart. He talks filmmaking!

And while the 70s as a theme is very popular in our industry right now, we're not churning out the same kind of cinema. I find serious films that are devoid of entertainment highly boring. We, as an industry, need to go back to the basics and focus more on scripts, performances and music.

5 comments:

layla-aaron said...

Thank you for the Madhuri video. That just brightened my day. :D

Bombay Talkies said...

Cate Blanchett and Irrfan Khan were supposed to star in Indian Summer but it got canned, at least for now. Too bad, I was really looking forward to it. I have the book (found it in a sale bin at a bookstore, grrr...I hate that "real" books get chucked in bins and crap like Twilight gets displayed like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread) and it's really really great. Keep meaning to give it a reread.

Bluemay said...

Wow, Madhuri looks great and still has her classic dance moves. Hope the show's on for a couple weeks so I can catch it at my parents house over the holidays. (They have satellite TV w/Indian channels).

I can see a Hollywood or UK studio making Indian Summer but not an Indian production house if there's even a hint of negativity about Nehru or Gandhi. Hope it gets made.

Bombay Talkies said...

Bluemay--someone has all four seasons of Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa up on Youtube, so if you miss it on tv you can catch it there. :)

Bluemay said...

@ Bombay Talkies - Thanks. I meant I only want to watch to see Madhuri even if she's only a judge. It's just nice to see her again. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl