Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sunday Gossip!

Hello, everybody! How are you this morning?

It's another cold, wintery day here in Washington, DC but thankfully I've got the spicy warmth of Bollywood gossip to warm me up!

Let's see what the gossip columns have to say!

* Has Prateik Babbar walked out of the
VTV remake? This article seems to think there were problems finding a lead actress but I thought Amy Jackson had replaced Trisha and this was already in motion.

So either Prateik had problems with Amy Jackson or this article is old and tired news being used to fill screen space.

* Read about what will fly in
Bollywood movie making.

A shoot in the South of France for a romantic duet? Not an option if it is for Shahid Kapoor; can be considered if it is for Saif Ali Khan; and a sure-shot yes if it is for Salman Khan.

* Musings on
Koffee With Karan in the age of over exposure.

Before they are on that couch, we already know the lines they are going to mouth. And then there is blogging and twitter. Which is why the episode that featured actors Sanjay Dutt, Anil Kapoor and Kangana Ranaut was different. What was the one word that came to Sanjay Dutt’s mind when Karan Johar said ‘Mulayam Singh’? “Enemy”, said Dutt, without batting an eyelid. Anil Kapoor confessed that he liked the Bollywood commercial masala films and had no aspirations to be an ‘intellectual’ actor. (And no, it didn’t come across as reverse snobbery).

* The Russian president Dmitry Medvedev will visit India and wants to see
Bollywood.

"Do you know the secret of Bollywood movies popularity in our country? The Indian movies Awara and 'Shri 420 came to Russia in early fifties after the devastating war, when we were enduring hardships. There we saw that life in India was even more miserable, but they had smiles on their faces. It was a great inspiration for us," said Ludmila Sekacheva, the head of "Parade of Indian and Russian Heritage'- an NGO involved in promoting Indian culture in Russia.

* Anu Malik thinks
Tinku Jiya is going to compete with "Munni" and "Sheila."

"Sheila and Munni have a strong contender," claims Anu Malik who composed this song in just three days.

* Salman Khan teases
Katrina on Bigg Boss!

Salman Khan teased Katrina on how, after working with seasoned costars like Akshay Kumar and himself, she is now working with younger actors like Ranbir Kapoor. Referring to the descending age of her costars, Salman on a funny note asked, "Aur kitna neeche jaane ka irada hai madam". The moment Salman mentioned Ranbir's name, the television cameras panned on Katz face, though she chose to ignore the remark and look down.

* Old movies are getting
colorized and re-released. Ick. Black and white films are supposed to be seen in BLACK AND WHITE. The colorized version of Mughal-e-Azam is an atrocity.

The one they are all focusing on now is
Hum Dono, a horribly dull film that will not be any better in color.

* Bollywood is discovering
the real Delhi.

In the early 1970s an aunt who lived in what was then called Bombay wrote to my parents recommending a new art house film called Rajnigandha. She said we would like the film since it was largely shot in Delhi. Those were magical words to me since most of the Hindi films I would see in those days were set in Bombay, with a sprinkling of Kashmir, Tokyo, Paris or what would be rural India.

* Sunny Deol gives
an interview!

Frankly, though it is something that I have never done till now, I am really enjoying it!” The three Deols, he admits, are pretty charged up about this film, which is directed by Samir Karnik. “We took 18 months to lock the script,” reveals Sunny. “After Apne, it was important for us to make something totally different. An action-comedy with a lost-and-found angle, but with a difference, was ideal.” The original concept by Sunny Deol was about two brothers. “But then, I thought of bringing in a third character, and who better than my dad as our father?” he says. He adds further, “Jaswinder Bath developed the idea further.”

Funny how that idea just "happened" to occur to him...

* Vidya Balan is
classy.

You are the only South Indian actor from your generation to have made it big in the Hindi film industry.

I feel blessed. People thought I was limited due to my looks. But I transformed that. Today, when top directors want to sign me for their films, it shows their faith in me and shows that I have evolved as an actor. The credit goes to my parents and well wishers who egged me on. It's due to them that I have this fire in my belly. Plus, I have been fortunate to have chosen the right scripts and worked with the best directors. Some day, I hope to do mad comedies like Sridevi did.

5 comments:

Bombay Talkies said...

That Indian Express article about film financing was actually really interesting. I have an old book around here somewhere about Hindi film production and finance from the 1950s (someone's thesis or the like)...it's amazing how much things have changed. Someone could probably write a very interesting book on the topic today.

Pardesi said...

Hum Dono was a horribly dull film? Maidum ji that is simply unacceptable! It was a film that slowly took hold of my emotions. Sadhana and Nanda were leading ladies you cannot compare to today's supermodel crowd. Dev was super in a double role and the music was simply divine.

Filmi Girl said...

@bombay talkies Wasn't that interesting? I wish there was more out there about the film industry like that article.

@pardesi Oh, GOD! That film was so dull! And I usually like slow movies... that part where Nanda is begging Dev for sex?! ICK!

I have an old review of it somewhere that I can dig up. I'll post it.

Pardesi said...

"that part where Nanda is begging Dev for sex?! ICK!"

Tsk tsk - what will you think of Na Jao Saiyyan from Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam? I read the review, couldn't disagree more! For me dull is cheap comedy and useless non-acting stars but I guess we will not go there....

Filmi Girl said...

@Pardesi Yes, we won't go there because for me boring is a missed opportunity for look-alike hijinks and endless dull war scenes that don't mean anything. :/

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl