Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday Gossip!

Hello, everybody! I'm still floating on memories of Band Baaja Baaraat and I hope you all get a chance to see it.

To that end, I went back to look for the stories on
BBB I had passed over because at the time I thought it was going to be a worthless film.

* Ranveer Singh talks about the reaction to
his debut!

What is the best compliment you’ve received so far?

‘You were good’ from Adi Chopra. Besides, a bunch of girls at PVR recognized me. It felt good. I just hope more talent is welcomed from outside, and the perception that outsiders do not stand a chance is challenged. I am not an industry boy and have had a rough ride - the humiliation of waiting outside producers’ offices and rejection.


* Ranveer talks about
his struggle:

I have always wanted to become an actor. Around the time I was in the tenth standard, I suddenly realised that I would have to give up my dream of becoming an actor, as I had no filmi background. Disappointed, I then pursued my second passion –– creative writing. Later, while I was in college, I was asked to stage a performance. While preparing for the act, I realised that I had made a terrible mistake deciding to give up acting.

* Initially, Anushka and Ranveer didn't quite
get along.

"Later when we spent more time on the sets, I ended up realising that she was quite cool while she too was convinced that I wasn't that insane after all," continues Ranveer, "There was this cold un-stated tussle that we had but it all came to an end sooner than expected. Thank goodness otherwise it would have been miserable for both of us to tolerate each other on the sets."

Or as
she puts it:

"For one full week, I was just surprised by him. I was trying to find out who he is. I was maintaining a distance from him and was just being cordial without getting into 'hey buddy, what's up' talk. There was a bit of struggle to find a common ground. Having said that, it was nothing to do with the fact that he was a newcomer. I would have definitely felt the same with another actor as well who came with a style similar to that of Ranveer. I guess eventually it is this dissimilarity in the way we approached our scenes that a great chemistry was created."



And watching the video... they clearly do not like each other very much but it made for a great chemistry on screen!

And can I start the Ranveer Singh Fan Club?! Some of these stories are hilarious... breathing exercises? Saying "wassup?" to Anushka the first time he meets her... I LOVE IT!

Now, what is the gossip for today!

* Read a thoughtful
op-ed on gay stereotypes in Bollywood.

What, you’re gay? Okay, let’s outfit you in a pink wig and enormous falsies, get you to squeak in a thin falsetto, and have you mince across the screen.

Okay viewers, here’s your cue to roll in the aisles.


* Ali Zafar supports
girls education in Pakistan - what a gentleman!

* Katrina Kaif makes it to the top of the
Hottest Ladies of 2010 list!

And she talks
Tees Maar Khan!

Sheila Ki Jawaani has toppled Munni Badnaam (from Salman Khan’s Dabaang). What do you have to say on that?

I recently met Malaika (Arora Khan) on the sets of Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 5. Her verdict was, this year, Sheila and Munni rocked. Malaika is a natural dancer. I don’t think she has to put any effort on a song…she is inherently very talented; unlike me, who had to put a lot of effort in the song, with Farah constantly reminding me not to look bubbly in an item number.


Oh, Kat! She is so gracious... and lovely.

* Shahrukh Khan gives a
super duper performance in Dhaka.

* Anil Kapoor isn't satisfied with
No Problem. (To be fair, was anybody satisfied with this one? Where do these films even come from? They always seem to flop.)

* Shahana Goswami is going to try to do what Amrita Rao and Minissha Lamba failed at -
going sexy.

* Karan Johar on his
controversial chat show.

In response to the way Gen-x stars such as Ranbir-Imran or Sonam-Deepika seemed almost prepared to give cheeky answers, he says, "The new generation is much more relaxed and confident in saying fun things about each other. They don't come with any baggage of trying to be all diplomatic. In International talk shows, celebs say all kinds of things about each other. We need to take it in the stride."

I don't know what "international" talk shows he is talking about, but on American ones, celebrities DO NOT talk bad about each other. At all.

* Raima Sen wants her love making scenes
cut from Mirch.

* Kangana is taking the lead in Ekta Kapoor's
Ragini MMS.

* Get a run down of all the big names behind the
big flops this year.

Whenever opportunity presents itself, the publicists of these makers thump their chests about their market fee. "Hello, shouldn't market fees be equivalent to market deliverables?"' asks a corporate honcho.

* Akshay Kumar talks
Tees Maar Khan...

Your image as ‘aadha Robindood’ (half Robinhood) is already gaining popularity among the youths…

(Laughs) You have to credit that to my character in the film, who loots wealthy people, but does not distribute the riches among the poor. If I would have played a full Robinhood, then this film would not have been made. In that case, he would have given away all his riches and won’t have been Tees Maar Khan.


* Read an interview with
Ajay Devgn!

Entertainment television feeds off cinema and Bollywood. In just over 10 years, television has grown to Rs 27,000 crore, but the film industry is still small. KPMG estimates it at Rs 10,000 crore. Other data shows it is closer to Rs 6,000 crore. Why is cinema limping?

I think the smaller figure is closer to the truth. We have almost no support from the government. It is an over-taxed industry. If all these taxes continue, I don’t think we can make films anymore. We never had the support to eradicate piracy either. That takes away 30-40 per cent of our revenue. The second big problem is that the industry is not standing together. Everybody is worried about the next Friday, about their own release.

4 comments:

Maya Magdalena said...

Oooh so much friction between Anushka and Ranveer in that video?! She looks so incredibly unhappy, prickly and bored. It actually reminds me of the Fanaa For You interview with Aamir and Kajol, that totally uncomfortable vibe... I haven't watched BBB yet, but seeing all the great reviews has really made me curious. And if that uneasy energy between them translates in any way similar to what was between Aamir and Kajol on the screen in Fanaa, hmmm... then I can't wait to watch it :)

Filmi Girl said...

Oh!! There is very good chemistry - the kiss?! WOW!!! Very well done...

You can get a taste here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rnfls0OqtE

Bluemay said...

Anushka comes off as a jerk in the interview, especially when she continually interrupts Ranveer when he's speaking. She's arrogant in the whole bit about his breathing exercises and how she's always worked with established actors and they didn't do that, etc.. I kept thinking, well perhaps, Ranveer actually took acting classes because that is normal. I'm disappointed because I've always liked her, granted this is only her third movie.
Not sure when this interview was done because in some other interviews (on AVS), they did not have such friction.

Amaluu said...

Oh PUH-LEASE! Sheila Ki Jawani "topples" Munni Badnaam? According to who? Farah? She's the only one who's been going around saying Sheila is the #1 item song of the year. I don't blame Kat, I don't think SHE'S trying to claim the song is as amazing as Farah is. Farah is trying WAY TOO HARD to make Sheila something, and is thereby making it seem lame.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl