Saturday, December 18, 2010

Saturday Gossip!

Good morning, all!

I went to go see
Black Swan last night and it was fantastic! And I say this as somebody who usually hates Natalie Portman. I highly recommend it - especially if you like dark, creepy films and anybody who has seen Requiem for a Dream knows that dark and creepy is what the director specializes in. The one complaint I had was for the couple sitting behind me. I'm not sure if the gentleman thought his lady friend was really stupid or if he had running at the mouth syndrome, but whenever anything remotely symbolic happened, he would "helpfully" (i.e. annoyingly) explain it.

Thanks, bro. I'm watching the film, I don't need the Cliffs Notes version running behind me.

As the swan queen plummets to her death in the production within the film, he actually said, and I quote, "Freedom." OH GEE REALLY? DO YOU THINK THAT IS WHAT THAT MEANS HELPFUL GUY?

Sigh.

Anyways, let us see what is happening in Bollywood!

Actually, let's first turn to this
ignorant article on Wikileaks and Kurbaan.

But if this film is indeed part of the US's propaganda campaign, the only responses we've heard from conservative Muslims—in India, at least—are a resentment of stereotypes, offenses taken at the song lyrics, and consternation about the heroine's smooth, bare back shown on Kurbaan's movie posters. Whatever America's plans are for it, Bollywood has a long way to go before winning any wars of ideology.

The author seems to think that
Kurbaan was an American effort at making an anti-terrorist Bollywood film.

What do you think? Do I need to write a response post?

* KATRINA KAIF!
She is lovely and talks to the British press.

* Amitabh Bachchan is just
so tired of being given Lifetime Achievement awards all the time.

Talking about such awards, Big B in his latest blog writes, "It does seem a bit stretched when year after year the award keeps coming for the same category. I feel inclined to do more work and do sincerely hope that the award does not signify or indicate that I should perhaps stop working."

* ZOOOOMG! Akshay Kumar will be joining the sequel of
Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai! My dil goes mmmmm.... at this news!

And
Housefull 2 is going to start filming in May.

* Soha Ali Khan emerges to
give an interview.

What kind of challenges did you face for Soundtrack, in which you play a deaf girl?

The film is the official remake of "It’s All Gone Pete Tong", which is based on the true story of a popular Czech DJ Kristov Masalin. He became deaf due to excessive noise levels but I play a girl who is born deaf, yet is generally very upbeat about life. Portraying her was a challenge because I cannot perceive life without sound, and I talk non-stop, and here I had to play a deaf girl who talks through sign language.


Wait, what? I get that a somebody who once was able to hear would still like music - think Beethoven - but there is no way that girl who was born deaf is going to be a DJ. This is going to be horrifically cheezy. I am predicting that right now.

* Sendhil Ramamurthy who will make his Indian debut in
Shorr wants to "work with" Irrfan Khan.

Asked if he looked forward to work with any Bollywood star, he said: "I think Irrfan Khan. He is an absolute genius and I would want to work with him so, so badly. If I were to pick up one actor I would like to work with, it would be Irrfan Khan."

Get in line, dude. We all want to "work with" Irrfan!

* Meet the man behind
Phas Gaya Re Obama.

In 2007 he made and released his first film, Salaam India – on cricket. Sadly the fail-safe gamble to release the film during the world cup backfired as it coincided with India's humiliating ouster from the series. The film sank worse than the titanic.

"Yet I thought that since I had already made and released a film, it would be easier to find funds for my second," Subhash says. Of course, that illusion was quickly shattered as the world eased into a recession, and Subhash sank into a depression.


* Amisha Patel has resorted to crime to support her drug habit... is my first (and uncharitable) thought. Let's just say that her uncle is
accusing her of theft and we don't know the real story yet.

* Shahrukh wants to work with
Madhuri Dixit again.

* Rani Mukerji is NOT
getting married.

RANVEER SINGH!!! I LOVE THIS GUY! I think my fave part of the interview is when he calls Rajeev Masand 'sir.'

2 comments:

Bombay Talkies said...

oh oh OH. You HAVE to watch this little video chat...go to 2:35, it's the most adorable thing ever.

"Am I single? Yes I am...call me!"

Ranveer is too cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDbvJ1T4kYk&sns=tw

Emmie said...

Re: that Mother Jones article -- Way to go, Filmi Girl! I also left a comment, but mine was more about how annoying I find the myopic view that terrorism doesn't exist unless it impacts the US, and that other countries would have no reason to create films with plots that touch on acts of terror unless the US "encouraged" them to do so. How arrogant and self-centered can folks be? It's not as if India hasn't been dealing on its own with variously-motivated extremist groups for decades. Seeing the ignorance of my own countrymen (and women) makes me so very sad...

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl