Friday, December 24, 2010

Friday Gossip!

Why, hello, dear readers! So, apparently, the critics don't agree with my take on Tees Maar Khan and do you know what? I have a lot to say on the matter. I think what this really boils down to is that the critics seem to really want an Om Shanti Om 2 from everything - they wanted Action Replayy to be Om Shanti Om 2 and now they want TMK to be an OSO 2. Well, you know what? Farah Khan may have directed TMK but the film is really Shirish Kunder's and, alas, the critics seem not to understand his sense of humor, which has a much bigger bite to it than Farah's.

I once wrote a giant (overly pretentious) essay on how
Om Shanti Om exemplified the trend of contemporary Bollywood films grabbing the style of 1970s masala films while avoiding the substance - that masala doesn't work with "modern" audiences but people still have fond memories of Rishi Kapoor in a silver jumpsuit. While I liked the film, Om Shanti Om is much too "spoofy" for me to consider it a favorite. Tees Maar Khan has both a harder edge and a loopier sensibility than either OSO or MHN and it clicked with me. Or maybe I'm just not that big of a Shahrukh Khan fan and find Akshay Kumar's style much more to my tastes. And will take Shirish Kunder's piercing wit over Farah's spoofs.

Anyways, I will try to gather my thoughts on what the reviews are saying and write up a nice piece for you!

But if Akshay and Farah end up
crying all the way to the bank than that's good enough for me.

Until then, let's hit the gossip beat!

* Sad news first - Anurag Kashyap's chief assistant director
Sohil Shah died in a freak accident on the sets of Gangs Of Wasseypur. My condolences to his family and friends.

* This is too much!!! Javed Akhtar is being
harassed by the Film Federation of India for his support of copyright protections for songwriters and lyricists.

*
Elle magazine is under fire for allegedly whitening Aishwarya Rai in a cover photo.

* Rani Mukerji lands a big old
smooch on Vidya Balan and erases all doubt in my mind about which way she swings. (Pssst... call me, Rani! Parmesh knows my number.)



* I think I posted this already but Rohit Shetty is teaming up with
Shahrukh Khan in a film that I'm already in line for. Good or bad, this film will NOT be boring!

* Are
Dabangg and TMK immoral? Well somebody filmed public interest litigation saying that they were.

The PIL has sought action against Dabangg director, producer and co-producers. So, Arbaaz Khan, Malaika Arora Khan and Dhillin Mehta will have to face the ire. In case of Tees Maar Khan, the PIL has mentioned the names of director Farah Khan, producers Ronnie Screwvala and Twinkle Khanna. The petitioner has mentioned that they have violated some provisions of ‘Indian Cinematography Act of 1952’.

* Ranveer Singh is
King! Everybody looooooves him! Yay!

* Salman Khan is going to be the Mountain Dew
brand ambassador and will hopefully do some (dew) awesome commercials!

* Y'all know I'm not a Priyanka Chopra fan but
this is outrageous! How is Piggy Chops not young enough to be paired opposite SRK?! WTF? Is Two States a remake of Nishabd or something?

What do you think of the trailer for
7 Khoon Maaf?



It doesn't look like something I'll like but it looks like a good performance from PC.



And the
Patiala House trailer - a film I know for 100% sure I'm going to looooooooooove!

*snuggles Akshay*

2 comments:

bollywooddeewana said...

Saat khoon maaf does indeed look promising, 2011 looks like an edgy year for bollywood films. Merry Christmas Filmi Girl.....xx

Shell said...

Patiala House sure looks a departure from what Akshay's been doing lately. It really looks like it could be an amazing movie (though, for some reason, I seem to be a sucker for movies that involve sports, second chances and overcoming obstacles), plus it has my current favorite "new" actress, Anuskha!!!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl