Friday, December 3, 2010

Friday gossip!!!

Good morning! I hope everybody is well...

So... thank you to everyone who has commented on my take on the Rishi Kapoor vs. Karan Johar kerfuffle. I absolutely take your point that Rishi Kapoor is overreacting. (And I believe I said as much in my post.) I guess where I differ in my opinion is that I think that Rishi is within his rights to overreact and lash out. He's a proud Daddy and from the old guard of Bollywood - a time when they did things differently in public. I'm not saying that he's
correct to do so, just that he has the right to overreact however he wants.

Deepika and Sonam know Rishi and, considering that Rishi and Neetu were never too fond of Deepika in the first place, if they want this to end they should just apologize and next time keep their mouths shut when asked about the size of Ranbir's package. Respect for elders is important and even if Ranbir wants his father to back down, he would never
ever say anything in public about it... and probably not in private either.

NOW.

Moving on to the second thing I said that got everybody mad at me... I also got some push back when I said that
Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey is not for white people.

Okay, here is the thing, as a white Bollywood fan, I understand that there is a line between appreciating Bollywood
films, claiming them as something that's mine, too, and in appropriating culture that is INDIAN and not mine. I'm not saying that white people can't like Bollywood (I'm white and I love it) or that white people can't like films about freedom fighters fighting the British (I love Lagaan, 1942: A Love Story, Rang De Basanti, and, yes, even Mangal Pandey). What I am saying is that when a film's main appeal is arousing feelings of patriotic sentiment in the (Indian) audience, then it is not meant for me to watch it or write about it critically.

All the positive reviews I read went something like this:

"Blah blah blah patriotism and feeling proud to be Indian and diligence to evoking a period feel but the plotting is dull and the performances are... *mumble mumble* but Sikander Kher is great."

(The negative reviews just harped on Abhishek's performance and the dull plotting.)

Look at it this way, if I were Japanese would I want to watch
Pearl Harbor? No. But would I want to watch Clint Eastwood's Flags of Our Fathers? Sure, why not. One is "America, F*** YEAH" and the other is exploring the American experience in WWII.

That is what I meant when I said
KHJJS is not for white people to really talk about and why I'm not going to see it. I have no business discussing Indian patriotism, so I'll be watching Black Swan this weekend and waiting to get my hands on Phaas Gaye Re Obama.

I think race is something we white Bollywood fans don't discuss enough and I'm happy to be the one to start the conversation, whether you agree with me or not.

Anyways... *climbs off soap box* ...GOSSIP!

* Read a hilarious one-star review of
Break Ke Baad!

With Break ke Baad, one should finally write “R.I.P.” for this genre (often based on mediocre Hollywood movies) now that moronic directors with a supercilious attitude towards what they offensively call “mainstream Bollywood” (strangely both these traits go together, for the genuine talents never term Hindi cinema derogatory!) are coming in by the painful sack-fuls.

* And then catch up on your
filmi gossip from the 1940s and 50s.

* Botown is releasing an album of
classic Bollywood film songs that sounds pretty interesting.

* Filmi illnesses are
not meant to diagnose actual illnesses.

* Katrina Kaif eats
biryani! (And is cute while doing so!)

* Abhishek Bachchan thinks he
is lucky to have lasted 10 years in Bollywood.

"I didn't think I would get any films after my first film. I genuinely didn't believe it. I haven't really given them any reason to like me or like my work; so why should they spend their time and effort on me?" said the actor who is being appreciated for his performance as freedom fighter Surjya Sen in his just released Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey.

* Saif Ali Khan and Vidya Balan are
teaming up again. He'll have plenty of time since Race 2 is delayed again.

* Aamir Khan is
growing a mouche!

9 comments:

eliza bennet said...

I think Deepika didn't even pulled a quarter of a 'Vivek' and I have no problem with her saying that Ranbir cheated on her - he did. I have watched the show, she didn't insult him or anything.

I think it is not very nice to keep things inside just because the opponent happens to be 'powerful'. I just reject this on principle. Who cares how powerful Rishi is? If I'm asked something and I want to answer it truthfully then I would. She didn't insult Ranbir (I have watched Ranbir in KWK too and he pretty much gave the same image himself, even talked about how to cover your cheating up with some tricks on the mobile phone).

Rishi should just shut up (and he is my favorite Kapoor - both young and old version). His son is grown and certainly doesn't need his meddling. I don't like bullies and I think Rishi is being one.

He doesn't have the right to try to harm careers of people just because he is angry because a girl (who he repeated belittled in every interview) said that her son cheated on her. Not fair.

bogeyno2 said...

Hi Filmi Girl,

First off, loving your blog and your enthusiasm about Bollywood, it certainly is infectious!

I was disappointed by your comments that KHJJS wouldn't be of interest to you because it is stirring patriotic sentiment in Indian audiences. Whilst I understand it may not be of interest to you personally, I don't think it would make any critique you would have made any less valid.

For example, as a British-Asian, I have watched films which champion American patriotism - these films are not meant for me but I still pass comments on these types of film and would hope my opinion is just as valid as someone for whom the film is intended.

In any case, it has made for another quality post and it will be interesting to see what other readers make of it. :-)

Kind regards

bogeyno2

Filmi Girl said...

@eliza I definitely don't think Rishi is correct to be doing what he is doing, nor is it fair BUT it's a family business that thrives on personal contacts. That is how Bollywood works.

Nepotism and family loyalty are part of Bollywood and until that changes, young actresses like Deepika will have to face the consequences if they talk bad about somebody's son.

@bogeyno2 Thank you for your comments! :)

I take your point and will have to think on it. I guess my concern is that as white person, it feels wrong to be critical of a film that is stirring up patriotic sentiments in Indians. Especially as a white person - there is a different power dynamic, I think.

I certainly have enjoyed patriotic films such as Lagaan but I don't want to step on anybody's toes by being critical of Abhishek Bachchan and Ashutosh Gowarikar for a film that many people are finding meaningful. It is the same reason I stayed away from 3 Idiots.

Thank you again for your comments!

eliza bennet said...

"young actresses like Deepika will have to face the consequences if they talk bad about somebody's son."

That is the very thing! She didn't talk bad, she did not insult Ranbir as Rishi(and Neetu)insulted her. She merely said -in reply- that Ranbir cheated on her and that is true. That's obviously how Bollywood works but I do feel it is not fair and somethings have to change.

Filmi Girl said...

@eliza She merely said -in reply- that Ranbir cheated on her and that is true.

But she also said some not nice things about him - her and Sonam both. It was more than the cheating thing. I do agree with you that it would be better if things changed and there weren't quite so many family feuds messing up Bollywood but as long as it remains a family business then outsiders will just have to learn how to work with it.

Like I said, I don't think Rishi is doing a good thing but I do think he is acting like any other Bollywood papa defending his son and Deepika and Sonam should have been smarter about what they said.

How many times has Amitabh jumped to Abhishek's defense or the way people rallied around Salman Khan... I don't think it will change any time soon.

And honestly we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. It could be that in private Rishi has yelled at Ranbir for being indiscreet with his affairs but in public he has to keep face. And it could be that Rishi was upset with Ranbir dating Deepika for months but kept it private but this was the last straw. We really don't know.

Bluemay said...

Oh, Filmi, say it isn't so! Please don't feel that you cannot be critical of a KHJJS because you are white. Indian reviewers are saying the movie is evoking patriotic sentiments but how often are their comments on point anyway.

I don't think race or ethnicity should hinder anyone from watching a movie depicting another race or country's struggle. If the movie is well-made, it transcends race by appealing to universal human emotions. I'm Indian-American and watch movies about the struggle of African-Americans, Jews in the Holocost,etc.. and am moved to tears on several occasions based on the storytelling. (I.e. The Color Purple, Glory, Schindler's List). Of course, African-Americans and Jews have a stronger response but I don't feel that I cannot appreciate the movie or be critical of it because I'm of a different race/ethnicity. I don't care for Spike Lee's early films and feel free to say so even amongst my African-American friends, not all of whom like his films either.

You should watch any movie you want and comment freely. BTW, not all Indians liked 3 Idiots. My aunt and uncle in Michigan thought it was stupid and unrealistic. Thus, I have yet to watch it.

Filmi Girl said...

@bluemay Thank you for your comment! :)

I am very glad to hear that you wouldn't be offended by a white reviewers take on patriotic Indian films. I don't know if you read my post about watching Bollywood as a white person but I think that it's much tricker to be critical of these specifically patriotic films as a white person because of our history of oppressing, um, everybody.

You know, if people get something out of seeing Indians destroy the colonial English, I can't really argue with that... even if as a film, it probably sucks and I would have lots of fun making fun of Abhishek's almost assuredly horrible performance. :)

Bluemay said...

@Filmi, I do understand what you're saying. My reason for not wanting to see KHJJS is because it's a 3 hour Ashtosh Gowariker film. (insert eye roll emoticon). Abhi should stick to comedic roles, because even in his dramatic efforts he only succeeds in making us laugh with his god awful performances :)

Filmi Girl said...

@bluemay My reason for not wanting to see KHJJS is because it's a 3 hour Ashtosh Gowariker film. (insert eye roll emoticon). Abhi should stick to comedic roles, because even in his dramatic efforts he only succeeds in making us laugh with his god awful performances :)

HA HA HAAAA! I feel the exact same way about Abhi - and Ashutosh.

Blurgh.

Here is the kind of thing I was talking about with people feeling very patriotic about KHJJS - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/79q8gu

If people are saying a film is making them feel proud to be Indian, I'm not going to argue with that... even if it is a 3 hour long Abhishek Bachchan starrer. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl