Okay, I'm sure you have read my epic posts on Guzaarish but let me just say that I don't care if the film was inspired by a Spanish film or not. Unless something is an exact duplicate - and I mean exact duplicate... a carbon copy, a frame by frame remake with text copy-pasted - then I don't really care.
I know I've said this before but I don't think that "originality" is all that important. If it was, would we still remember Shakespeare? He certainly borrowed his share of stories. A story is just that - a story. You can spin it any number of ways. To give you an example, I'm a big fan of the fairy tale "Beauty and the Beast." I own a number of different adaptations of this story - does that mean that all those books and movies are all invalid because they aren't "original stories"? No.
In the same way, just because there are other stories about paraplegic men fighting for the right to die, doesn't mean that the existence of those things makes Guzaarish invalid somehow. Especially if the main audience for Guzaarish - like me - hasn't seen the Spanish film it's allegedly based on. And I say allegedly.
If give the choice I will always pick the version of the story that has the actors I like - so why do I need to see Hitch if I already love Partner?
Anyways, I can address this in more depth if anybody cares but I just wanted to put that out there.
I'm sure you've heard the big casting coups - two I'm very excited about!
Shirish Kunder's Joker is going to be Akshay Kumar and... SONAKSHI SINHA! This is a pairing I'm very excited about!
Aamir Khan's new film is going to be with... Rani Mukerji and Kareena Kapoor! Woo hoo! Age appropriate heroines for the Perfectionist!
Saif Ali Khan - who has completely ruined his looks in the last few years with plastic surgery - is replacing Ajay Devgn in Prakhas Jha's next film.
And it's Ileana for Shankar's 3 Idiots.
Now, time for gossip!
* Upskirt alert - Yana Gupta was spotted without panties at an event and the copy is hilarious!
Though Yana tried many poses to hide her secret asset, it all ended in a smoke and she went up showing which no one usually shows.
* Check out an article about The Kominas!
If Vital Signs in the 80s represented the shareef, slightly rebellious boys who loved both gori and sanwali girls, of Pakistan, more than 20 years later, it’s the Kominas who are their antithesis.
* Read a lovely long interview with Sanjay Leela Bhansali!
Hrithik actually learnt magic tricks and got flabby to play the quadriplegic in Guzaarish?
I don't believe in method acting. I don't instruct my actors too closely. I just tell them what I want. I wanted Hrithik to know his character's state of mind. If he played a magician, he knew he had to learn magic tricks. A person who is in bed for 14 years had to be flabby. I am glad Hrithik has reached a stage in his career where he's ready to surrender to a part and not be concerned only with looking good. Audiences want to see the stars do something new. They want to see stars become part of the drama. He plays a character who taps his weaknesses and strengths to emerge stronger than adversity. I won't make only happy or sad films. I won't make time-pass films. I want to invest my creativity into films that have more to say than just have a good time.
* It's almost time for Thanksgiving and guess what?! There will be some Bollywood at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade!
[T]his Thanksgiving, the Parsippany based Arya Dance Academy will become the first to perform a Bollywood dance routine in the parade. Sixty instructors - most of whom hail from the garden state - will walk the 2.5 mile route and perform a minute-long routine on NBC.
* Freida Pinto has some major sour grapes about never breaking into Bollywood and has decided that it's not that her dancing and acting weren't good enough for Bollywood... no, she's interested in "reality."
"I wouldn't want to do a Bollywood film per se, but I would like to do an Indian-language film. For some reason I think Bollywood has become synonymous with commercial cinema, which is song and dance and everything that is larger than life, and I am interested in the reality... It is great to have entertainment, but I think there needs to be something that also makes you want to go back and think about what you've seen."
Like the reality that Freida is a mediocre actress who lucked her way into a role in a film that happened to be a Hollywood success?
* Mannisha Koirala is going through damage control mode after posting on FB that she wanted to get divorced.
* Katrina talks about her relationship with Akshay.
"We don't talk on phone. We are not buddy types. If I am not working with him, it’s not like I ask him how you and all are. Sometimes the charm is lost when it is overdone."
I kind of agree - there are very few real life couples who are also good to watch in reel life.
The lovely Kat has also unveiled her Barbie Doll!
* Subhash Ghai is taking a break from films for a little while.
* Will we be seeing Aishwarya and Hrithik in an adaptation of Hamlet?
* No matter how hard he tried Madhur Bhandarkar couldn't get any reputable actress to do his sleazy film and his rewriting.
* And no matter how hard SHE tries, Minnisha Lamba isn't getting any attention... although posting a picture of herself in a bathing suit will only get her noticed by Madhr Bhandarkar.
* Some kid gets his mother to help him stalk Asin.
* Finally, enjoy Abhishek Bachchan being self-important!
Abhishek revealed that he, too, was overwhelmed reading about the lives of these teenagers. "It has been a journey that has taught me many firsts," he said, adding, he has now committed himself to working towards bettering the 'patriotic sense in our country' every single day.
"No problem... no prooooblem!"
Note from Filmi Girl:
I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.
If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.
xoxo Filmi Girl