Saturday, November 20, 2010

Saturday Gossip!

Hello, Saturday! I'm so sad we only have one of you a week.

Enjoy a message from the beautiful Preity Zinta!



I have three good articles for you to read today!

Up first - a look at the spreading of
Western beauty ideals and more tragically, the Western woman's curse of hating her looks:

These distorted values are dysphoric for all women. For British Asians, these images had not, until recently, infected our eyes, nor narrowed our tastes. There is among us an abhorrent acceptance of skin colour hierarchies in which light is best. But on the whole, we managed to avoid the brainwashing. The models and actresses didn't look like us so we could ignore them. Not any more.

Soni, a teenage British Asian girl, whose name means lovely, can't bear to look at herself. Alexa Chung struts through her dreams. Her mother fears her daughter is going mad. Only as mad as most other girls of her age: "Why can't she like herself? At 48 I think I look good, little fat maybe, but so what? Even my mother likes her face. But not Soni, my rose, born here. In my village back home, I looked in the rivers and thought my face was so pretty. Soni says she will have operations one day." Many of our daughters are in similar crises.


Article number two - a look at the American television show
Outsourced:

Outsourced could have been a moment for writers and audience to have the guts to look at Indians for the first time not through the lens of stereotypes but to be honest with Indian idiosyncrasies. It could have been that big crossover moment, where we all acknowledge that with torrents, travel between both countries, cable television and the Internet in general, the distance between America and India has moved on beyond Delhi belly and tech support. Perhaps authentic storytelling can only happen when writers in India participate in the production of such shows. Perhaps it is finally time for stories about contemporary India that are told internationally to be produced and invested in locally. There is a market — we are all already here.

Article number three - Can Shahrukh Khan
sexify Germany for Indians?

Khan is in Berlin to film the sequel to his action film Don. At the end of the last film Don, the head of an international drug ring, managed to escape the police. "It isn't hard to catch Don," the most memorable sentence of the film went, "it's impossible!"

Now the villain has resurfaced, making an appearance at a gala event in the concert hall at Berlin's Gendarmenmarkt, where he is recognized despite the mask he is wearing. From there, police detectives chase him around the city until his car flies through the air over several other vehicles at the Brandenburg Gate. The gangsters have their conspiratorial rendezvous at the Berlin Cathedral and the Paul Löbe House, a German parliament office building. Other Berlin landmarks featured in the picture are the Olympic Stadium, the Chancellery and the remains of the Berlin Wall at the East Side Gallery.


Now, gossip!

* Okay, it's
not official - Dhoom 3 is not on.

* Sheffield is the stage for a Bollywood-influenced
West Side Story remake

* Vidya Balan's
Dirty Picture will start filming in February.

* Apparently, Priyanka Chopra is "too sexy" for the role of nurse in the
Agneepath remake - so KJo is rewriting the role.

To quote Karan himself, "We can’t have Priyanka playing a nurse, please!”

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong but if Priyanka is supposed to be some sort of amazing actress, shouldn't she be able to play a non-sexy nurse? Now, if she is cast for her looks (specifically her bikini bod) - which has always been my theory - then Karan's statement would make sense.

* Is Saif Ali Khan trying to get back into Vishal Bhardwaj's
Dream Sequence?

* The family dynamic between Rishi and Ranbir is
endlessly fascinating.

I don't like any of Ranbir's films. I have been very critical of his work because of which his mother (Neetu Kapoor) often fights with me. He has worked too little," said Rishi in the capital Friday, attending the HT Leadership Summit.

Followed by:

"I am lucky enough to have a critic as well as a fan in the same house. I agree I have not done anything special yet and I really hope to get where my father appreciates my work," said Ranbir.

Ranbir himself would like to remind us that he is not
a youth icon.

"I do feel burdened by this youth icon image. I am not Jesus Christ and I don't want people to idolise me as an icon who represents the youth. I am a human being at the end of the day and I can commit mistakes because I am young.".

I actually agree that Ranbir is not a youth icon. He's a young
actor, who has taken on a wide variety of roles and proven that he is up to some tough challenges. He hasn't been playing the same "hero" character over and over, chocolate or otherwise. If you look at his youthful characters, they were all different.

I would argue that as far as the new youth icon goes, Imran Khan - specifically his JTYJN act - is the one we should be looking at.

Rishi-sir, maybe you should watch
Rocket Singh! He was great in that! Plus it has your old friend Prem Chopra in it.

* Arshad Warsi's half-brother turns to the
press to beg for money.

* I've been ignoring this story but it's a slow news day... Do you even know how annoyed I am at the hand-wringing over Aishwarya Rai
smoking a cigarette in Guzaarish?



IT'S A CIGARETTE! WHO CARES?!

It's not like she's smoking crack - something that's actually dangerous. Cigarettes are not healthy but they aren't evil. And certainly smoking the occasional cigarette isn't some sort of mortal sin... so why the fuss over tobacco?

If you don't want to smoke - don't smoke.

5 comments:

kintama said...

This last image is my wallpaper. Too cool.

And movies nowadays in Bollywood depict alcohol drinking as a fun&cool activity for hip folks (U,Me aur hum, I hate luv storys, etc.). It used to always be there as a caricature of the "sharabi" loser in older movies, which I liked much more. I know I know Hollywood looks sooo cool but let's not use our identity now... :)
So, yeah, they should rather stress the abuse of alcohol which is much more harmful than the cigarette one (and I'm no somker either).

Sami Saayer said...

in talent, ranbir can make an omelette of imran khan. i am still puking after watching i hate luv storys.

Filmi Girl said...

@kintama - Isn't that a beautiful image? Aishwarya grows more gorgeous with every day... :)

And I agree with your point - there is a drinking scene in every film and drinking can be just as harmful as smoking!!

@sami That is the greatest comment ever!!! :DDDD I agree 100%.

Pessimisissimo said...

Filmi Girl, thanks for the link to Yasmin Alibhai-Brown's eloquent article about Asian women adopting Western standards of beauty. Unfortunately Bollywood is a major culprit: heroines are getting skinnier, lighter-skinned, and more Western-looking all the time.

Kareena and Katrina's weight loss, Priyanka's nose job, and a host of too-skinny young actresses like Deepika and Sonam are indeed conforming to the "economy of sameness" that "creates misery and dissatisfaction and cashes in on it."

I don't blame these actresses. The system of film stardom requires them to embody current "aspirational" beauty standards. It does send dismaying and harmful messages, though, to young women (and men).

Thanks again for posting the link!

KrishnaDeverayar said...

This sort of story if written as a novel would have been a great book to read :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl