Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Amrithadhare: Sweet and Simple!

Because I just mentioned it and because I'm sure most of you haven't seen the film, here is a repost of my old review of Amrithadhare!



Amrithadhare is an absolutely adorable Sandalwood film – a small and delicate slice-of-life film – exploring the relationship of a young married couple.

The story plays off the contrast of the two different philosophies of life of the couple. Amritha (the bubbly Ramya) wants to live for the moment and Puru (the disconcertingly Aftab Shivdasani looking Dhyan) puts off pleasure for a later day. In the hands of a different director, this would have been the making of a terrible Hollywood-style romcom focusing on the worst “Men are from Mars” clichés. In
Amrithadhare, however, director Nagathihalli Chandrashekhar creates a surprisingly un-clichéd story – helped along in no small part by the talents of Ramya – and even manages a bit of a social conscience.

The other thread running through the film is the idea of a house versus a home. If you’ve been wondering where the social conscience of the popular Bollywood films of the 1970s has traveled to, look no further.
Amrithadhare devotes a significant amount of screen time to the idea that a big house is not a substitute for a rich family life and the film opens with a sweet song about the differences between how the poor and rich live…




The rich live in big houses but can’t rest and the poor have no roof or walls but sleep soundly.





(Ramya is so cute!!)

Amritha and Guru are young and in love and unsure of how to transition from lovers to husband-wife. They play act at courting, in a really funny parody of the typical pushy Indian stalker turned lover-boy, but as soon as the topic turns to whether to have children or to rent or buy a house the communication breaks down.



Their little spats are mediated by a court of their friends – including GOLDEN STAR GANESH – in a role that must have been pre-
Mungaru Male because it’s tiny but I have to admit that my eyes lit up when I saw him!



But the big prize is the house – the massive, giant house that Guru wants to build for Amritha to represent the stability and finality and immortality of their relationship.

(Don’t read further if you don’t want some vague spoilers about
how their relationship will be tested.)




Yes, any experience viewer of melodrama knows the old adage that if you put a headache in the first act, it absolutely must go off in the second or third act.

And go off it does.

I can’t say more than that without ruining the plot for you, but trust me that Guru’s reaction to Amritha’s headaches plays into the main theme of the story and also leads me to my final point.



Ramya is adorable as Amritha.



Yes, I’m talking about you!



Aw, thanks, sweetie!

One of the best things about Amritha is that she’s a total fangirl for Amitabh Bachchan and tends to pepper her conversations with facts about Amittabh… and since his picture is on the box, I don’t think it’s giving too much away to say that he makes an appearance.



(I’d make that face, too!)



(And then I’d make this one.)

Her utter devotion to Amitabh played into the “spiritual” aspects of fandom, which was neat because religion was almost completely absent from
Amrithadare. The communing with Amitabh was a release for this secular young lady.

In short,
Amrithadhare is a very sweet film and I highly recommend it if you enjoy little slice-of-life films like Mili.

6 comments:

Anita said...

This was one of the Kannada movies I actually watched a bit of with my parents (saw a bit before and after Big B came in) and OH GOD it was horrible. XD

Lol, I don't understand why I just can't take my own language's films. :P

Filmi Girl said...

@anita Ha ha!!! Well, we both knew that you were crazy. :DDD

S said...

Hi Filmigirl,

I am so glad that you review Kannada movies and give them the recognition they deserve. I have started to watch quite a lot of Kannada films in recent years but I have to admit, although I am a Kannadiga myself, I have taken some great recommendations from you. Have you seen Milana starring Puneet Rajkumar and Parvati Menon?

Filmi Girl said...

@S Thank you for commenting! :) I really enjoy Kannanda films - they feel much more lively and creative than some other cinemas.

I have not seen Milana - I had a bad experience with a Puneet film called (I think) Aakash and haven't seen more with him. Did you like Milana? I might have to give Puneet another chance.

One thing I like about writing a blog is that I can review only the films that I want - which means that I usually only review ones I like. :)

Anu Russell said...

The hero Dhyaan(?) looks (from your images) more like Sameer duttani (I hate love story's) or Vivaan Bhatena...

don't you think?

Louella said...

Anu Russell, it's the same person, he just uses two different names :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl