Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tuesday Gossssssip!

First things first - Love Story 2050: an in-depth look part 12 has been posted! Go forth and read!

Second things second - there has been another
positive review of Hisss!

By now you must have realized that Hisss is not a movie to be taken seriously (I can just imagine how much fun this movie is going to be drunk). You definitely should not expect a cogent, logical story and slick editing – it has neither. In fact it has problems keeping the timeline linear. However, to its credit, the snake scenes are done rather well. Coupled with jerky camera movements, it will definitely make you jump more than once. And the family scenes of Irfan Khan and Divya Dutta are also handled very sensitively.

I agree with all of the above. I think maybe what the more serious critics of
Hisss didn't get was the camp factor - I giggled with delight at the over-the-top acting by the white villain and his henchmen; shivered at the snake murders; and enjoyed ogling Mallika Sherawat's lovely figure. Add to that the fun I had trying to figure out a metanarrative analysis and I mean it 100% that I enjoyed watching Hisss.

If nothing else, the film has certainly got people talking...

Anyways... GOSSIP!

* Bollywood insiders talk
nepotism at MAMI.

You have no idea how much I wish I was there - maybe next year? (Does somebody want to sponsor me to blog it?!)

Along with Kakkar, veteran actor Pavan Malhotra became the darling of the audience with his frank views when he told the media, ‘You print my story continuously for a year and see where I go. I will become a star too.’

The obvious point of discussion was whether it is the media that made stars or that media merely covered those that had become stars.


* One of those media stars, Zayed Khan, is turning
producer.

*
The Wall Street Journal rounds up the South Asian Film Festival in NYC.

* Anurag Kashyap
defends John Abraham and shares my opinion of Abhishek.

Kashyap takes on Junior Bachchan too. "If John Abraham is a bad actor than Abhishek Bachchan is equally bad, but who has the b***s to write it? AB was great in Yuva to everybody except me. I am the one who wrote the goddamned lines. I wrote Lallan Singh and they were the best damn lines I ever wrote. And believe me, he didn't understand half of it. He never rose above the script, but he won all the awards. His talent, and his career, the way it has shaped up are two different things and I do not envy him that. He is loved by people. John is rising over the script in what I am doing."

I think this was taken from an old blog post of his but, Anurag-sir, I just wrote a nice post on how much I think Abhi sucks as an actor. Some of us do have (metaphorical) balls.

* Speaking of the Junior B, he
says:

“[Raavan] destroyed me,” he says, “When you dedicate so much time and effort to a film, and then it doesn’t do well, it upsets you. However, I respect the audience’s judgment. But the press still keeps throwing failures in our faces; even six months down the line. That’s our life.”

* Read an op-ed on
hero-giri!

Herogiri is back in Bollywood. So, just like in the good ol’ seventies and eighties, the heroes are now taking on the baddies single-handedly in hand-to-hand combats instead of depending on high-end gadgets or slick Matrix-like action. A look at some of the recent films like Dabbang, Once Upon A Time in Mumbai, Raajneeti are a witness to this. In fact, many of the forthcoming films too, including Anurag Kashayap’s Manoj Bajpai starrer, Nishikant Kamat’s Kha Kha Kha starring John Abraham, and even the Rohit Shetty’s comedy will have actors indulge in bare-handed fight sequences.

Any coincidence that these were three of my favorites from this year? Hmm...

* Katrina Kaif confirms her
break up with Salman Khan.

"The question on the status of our relationship seems to bother everyone around. Enough said on the topic. There is so much that’s happening in my life now. I just want to concentrate on my career."

*
This article is worded strangely but it seems like Ranvir Singh and Anushka Sharma got into a scuffle with some passengers on a flight because the passengers were taking cell phone videos of the stars.

Yeesh... some invasion of privacy is to be expected but cell phone video on a plane is really unacceptable. The stewardesses should have stepped in to stop them before Ranvir and Anushka noticed.

* Oh, YES!! This would be so good!! Aishwarya Rai in an
Imtiaz Ali film?

* Kangana Ranaut was
not informed of a major change in shooting schedule on the sets of Tezzz and the takes revenge for the slight.

*
Dhobi Ghat is being pushed forward a month to January.

*
DDLJ spreads culture.

Film critic Anupama Chopra credits Bollywood blockbuster Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ) for the Karva Chauti-fixation of the society. “It became a pan-Indian thing after DDLJ. In the movie, Kajol fasts for her beau Shah Rukh Khan, and she later learns that he too hadn’t eaten for her sake. This scene made an impression on millions of women in the country. “Karan picked up from there,” Chopra says, referring to film director Karan Johar’s later melodramas. “And then Karva Chauth became filmy. Till 15 years ago, it was a family event. Now, I get invites to Karva Chauth parties.”



Band Baaja Baaraat anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

3 comments:

lvrplfc4l said...

Zayed Khan and Dia Mirza opening a production company together is actually pretty smart. Neither is a big name that other producers will automatically think of for their films so why not try producing for yourself. To me the problem is having them both star in their first production, I would think one to star with a bigger name and the other to produce would have been a wiser move but maybe money wise this is an easier start up film. Not a Zayed fan but I liked Dia in some films, Hum Tum Aur Ghost in particular.
As for Ahbi's acting he is way to lazy, he just expects to say lines and stand there being his fathers son thinking that's all it takes. It's really to bad because sometimes you think he's finally going to get it and then nothing, zip, just dead space on screen.

Zain Aslam said...

Ok, so the Band baja trailer looks like they wanted Ranbir but they couldnt get him, so they just got a copy from somewhere.

his mannerisms, hair, everything look really similar to ranbir.

Amaluu said...

Seriously though, Anurag Kashyap thinks that Hrithik is a good actor? I disagree completely. I've never seen a film of his and thought he actually acted well. And as for his pride about writing the lines for Yuva ... well, it's not like they were totally original. It was a tamil remake. I just think he sounds awfully arrogant. And that's not just cuz I disagree on the Abhishek front, whom I happen to think is a really good comedic actor (similar to Akshaye Khanna) but won't get into an argument about it. People definitely have different ideas of talent. I think comparing Abhishek and John Abraham is laughable, and taking Aamir and Hrithik in the same breath is a total joke. But that's my opinion.

I think people are actually TOUGHER on star kids sometimes, but that's a longer discussion for later. :-)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl