Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday Gossip!

Good mornings!

Has anybody else become secretly obsessed with the
Endhiran soundtrack? I didn't really think much of it at first but I believe the album is what one typically calls "a grower." In particular, I can't get enough of the Black-Eyed Peas sounding song "Irumbile Oru Idhaiyam" - which I think many people dismissed as a Pussycat Dolls soundalike but I think those people need to get lives.

I love the interplay between the male and female vocals and the "rapping" ('been doing that for ages/since the time of sages')

Plus, I just can't get enough of people saying "ro-o-o-o-robo."

I was going to try to make either
Aakrosh or Knock-out but they both sound... not great. Why don't we have JR NTR's Brindavanam?! WHY???

Actually, that's not fair.
Aakrosh sounds like it's a good film but not one that I necessarily want to go out of my way to see on the big screen... the reviews are all saying the things I'm afraid of - Akshaye Khanna is stuffy (as he is apt to be) and Bips is too glam for the role of an average girl.

What to do, what to do?

Has the awesomeness of Endhiran spoiled me for going to see regular movies?

(Probably.)

Anyway... GOSSIP! Let's hit it!

* Yesteryears item girl Jayshree T is back in
the spotlight! She'll be seen on TV in Dil Se Diya...Vachan, which showcases a positive mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationship.

* I think this is old news but Priyadarshan's new Hindi thriller (allegedly a remake of
Speed) starring Ajay Devgn is being filmed in London.

Ajay Devgn has
something to say about popular films.

"I don't mind doing films that are about leaving-your-brains-at-home. We need to entertain the public. Every time it can't be serious cinema. Bas, it has to excite you," he states.

* John Abraham addresses the
Jhootha Hi Sahi plagiarism rumors.

“I have watched Friends all those years and I find absolutely no similarity between the two works. In fact, if the movie were at all to be classified in a genre of cinema, I am of the opinion that Jhootha Hi Sahi is close to Notting Hill than any other Western production.”

Can I just ROFL at this for a bit - so, Jhootha Hi Sahi isn't a copy of friends but it IS a copy of Notting Hill? I think this is John Abraham's way of politely sticking it to Abbas Tyrewalla. There have been leaked stories of John's unhappiness with the project dating almost to the beginning of shooting.

* Arbaaz Khan was among those
raided by the Income Tax Department.

* Read an enlightening and interesting interview with the filmmakers behind
Peepli Live!

MK Venu: Aamir Khan is generally perceived as someone who is more socially committed than other actors. It's a surprise he could not persuade UTV to take the film to smaller town single screens.

Farooqui: It's not about Aamir Khan. It's the nature of film business. The differential in the ticket in a Delhi multiplex and Gorakhpur's small cinema hall is so huge that we don't go by just box office numbers now. In the '80s, the box office was the only thing that determined the money the film made. We didn't have music rights, product placements, overseas rights. Those returns have made it possible for us to cast out the masses. It's still different in south India, in Tamil Nadu, but general cinema is no longer a mass medium.


* Zooooooh MY GOD! Bebo is playing a
film addict who knows all the filmi dialogues by heart in Golmaal 3!! I cannot wait for this film!

(And the role isn't
too far from the truth. The lovely Bebo is a self-confessed Bollywood addict!)

Finally, enjoy some pictures from Zee TV's
Action Replayy Diwali show!







Zeenat Aman!



And Rajesh Khanna!

(Photo credits for all: Viral Bhayani)

1 comment:

redsarah said...

The interview with Anusha Rizvi and Mahmood Farooqui is fascinating. Are they truly that naive? Did they truly think that as first-time film-makers, they would be allowed to control the editing and that they could expect to be trusted with shooting as a matter of course? I love the implication that everything right was them and everything that was wrong was nothing to do with them. What charmingly gracious people!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl