Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday Gossip!

Happy Endhiran day!

Let's see what the gossip pages have in store for us!

* Read about
the filming of the song from Endhiran in Peru.

And what is up with
Anjaana Anjaani?

Real Bollywood gives it a 2 of 5:

Advaita Kala and Siddharth Anand’s script gets boring after a while. Some situations are plain childish. Where the film falls flat is the fact that the audience at no point feels for Akash and Kiara that perhaps also maybe because nobody likes cowards, since suicide is the last resort of cowards. Kiara’s character often comes out utterly confused where as Akash appear an idiot!

Another
2 star review:

Kiara comes across as a perpetually confused girl who is a far cry from young girls of today, who know to take charge of their lives. She wants to commit suicide, then doesn’t mind living for some days before dying, then attempts suicide again, then wants to go back to Kunal who, in the first place, drove her to attempting suicide, then wonders whether he is the right choice for her…. Sorry, the youngsters of today (the target audience of the film) will not be as patient with Kiara as Akash is.

On his part, Akash also comes across as an idiot. He seems to be a supremely over-confident kid in the first scene so that his attempt at taking his own life after a business loss doesn’t ring true at all. Again, he gets into an understanding with Kiara to live life to the fullest for some days. While enjoying life with Kiara, he jumps into the ocean although he doesn’t know swimming. Soon, he starts screaming that he doesn’t know how to swim, prompting Kiara (who is also in the waters) to help him and prompting the audience to wonder why someone so keen on ending his life would scream for help when he has landed in a sure death trap. The writers would have the audience believe that he yells for assistance because he has a pact with Kiara, a complete stranger, to live till 31st December. This makes the viewer wonder if Akash is a robot who has been programmed to live for some days more or he is a human being who is keen to end his life and yet doesn’t want to die, if one may say so.

And
another:

Director Siddharth Anand trained at the school of Yash Raj and you will recognize the familiar tropes: stars, styling, foreign locations. There’s even a morning-after-drunken-night-did-we-have-sex scene similar to the classic moment in Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jeyenge.

But unlike DDLJ, here the emotions and characters are singularly plastic.

Akash, played by Ranbir Kapoor and Kiara, played by Priyanka Chopra, have no discernable texture or roots. They are supposed to be unemployed, lonely and desperately sad but they always look like they’ve stepped out of the pages of a fashion magazine. Which could have been overlooked if there was any depth in their angst but these two seem like spoilt kids playing suicide-suicide.


And for balance -
Taran Adarsh

When two of the film industry's finest actors meet, it puts more pressure on the film. Ranbir is an actor with an infinite range and his dedication to his work is evident in every film. I have often stated that he is the finest actor of his generation and the fact comes alive yet again as you watch him donning a new character in ANJAANA ANJAANI. Priyanka sinks into the role beautifully, so much so that she forgets herself and starts becoming Kiara. When an actor kills his or her eminence and surrenders completely to the role is when the film really takes off. Priyanka has this unique quality.

Having seen numerous Priyanka Chopra films, I would respectfully like to disagree with Taran Adarsh and say that glamour puss Piggy Chops has zero ability to sink into a role, which makes me think that I would probably really hate
Anjaana Anjaani.

* Shotgun Sinha says
Rakta Charitra is his best work.

Also, he says this:

"Initially I was reluctant (to shave off moustache) but considering the need of the script I had to agree to Ramu's request," says Sinha, 64.The actor, who is a BJP MP from Bihar's Patna Saheb, feels that the film, based on the life of slain political leader Paritala Ravi, will be a "good education for politicians."

*
Aakrosh gets an A certificate.

* Anil Kapoor is trying
get Shakira for No Problem.

* Minnisha Lamba wants to do
commercial films and I support that dream.

"I want to do films which reach out to maximum audience base. Whichever movie that you are a part of, you want it to do well. I am game for those conventional song and dance affairs. After all this is the heritage that we carry in Bollywood. I want to be a part of those cliched movies."

* Ileana is going to be in the
Kannada remake of Fashion.

*
Read an interesting take on Peepli Live.

In my eyes, Bollywood films deserve their reputation as shallow and yawn-inducing, not because of their overwrought melodrama or the hammy acting, and certainly not because of the singing and dancing (although the quality of the musical scores has deteriorated in recent decades). Instead, it is the extreme moral conservatism that is most off-putting, along with the plots, which manage simultaneously to be entirely predictable and, as Ray observed, convoluted to the point of seeming random (the latter characteristic supposedly a result of influence from the great Indian epics like the Mahabharata).

3 comments:

memsaabstory said...

That's an interesting link (Peepli Live)...I have to say that I am growing more and more annoyed with the "stifling conservatism" that informs almost every plot. There are some fresh breezes of air now and then, but they are getting harder and harder to find...

rpatty said...

Hello filmy girl,
have been reading your pages since february,it's a real delight.
I must tell you how wonderful your work is. Everyday, when I come back from work and read your website, it's like fireworks for me, it's a real pleasure to entertain myself with your site.
I must tell you, I am tamil and I've read your post on "piecing together which songs are in Pithamagan medley, really you rock,I don't know how you manage to do that without knowing a single word of tamil.

PS : tomorrow gonna watch endhiran, hope you could too watch it with subtitles. If you need any help for a post on tamil movie, will be happy to help you.
One again, love your work, please keep writing for us.

PS : apologies for my bad english

Filmi Girl said...

@memsaabstory I thought it was interesting, too. And I'm with you on the conservatism... maybe that is why I have been starting to watch more and more South films.

@rpatty You have made my day!! I was feeling kind of sad and then I got this comment. Thank you so much!

I do not speak Tamil but I am a musician and I like to think that I have an ear for languages, even if I cannot understand the words I still like the music very much! :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl