Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Gossip!

Hello, world!

So, nobody is picking up on this "Shiney's Maid and her family go missing" story... WHY? Let's get on it, Bollywood press! I can't do any detecting from Washington, DC but I feel like there is a huge scoop waiting to be found.

Now, moving on...

* Salman Khan says some
insensitive stuff about the November 26th attacks.

"It was the elite that was targeted this time. Five star hotels and all. So they panicked. Then they got up and spoke about it. My question is why not before. Attacks have happened in trains and small towns too, but no one talked about it so much."

The thing is... he's right. And it is a chronic problem with all media - even here in the US - that if something happens to a beautiful blond girl (i.e.
Natalee Holloway) or to some elites, it's given much more prominence than if it happens to poor people or, especially here in the US, darker people.

Salman could have chosen a better outlet for his thoughts, though. We all know that most press people don't appreciate subtlety of opinion.

*
Dabangg was banned in Pakistan for Eid.

* For reasons beyond my comprehension (have they
seen her act before?) Priyanka keeps getting choice roles.

And even as the other girls turn shades of green, PC continues to be the woman to look out for in 2011. She'll have Agneepath (Hrithik), Silence (Ranbir), Don 2 (Shah Rukh Khan), Saat Khoon Maaf (John Abraham, Naseeruddin Shah) and in all likelihood, she'll take the awards and the box office rewards!

For all that y'all know that I love Kat, I'm not going to claim she's the world's best actress. (I
like her acting, but that is another topic all together.) Priyanka is just not... good and I find her grating. This is basically a list of films I'll be avoiding in 2011. I've enjoyed Priyanka in exactly two roles - her OTT actress in Salaam-e-Ishq and her OTT intergalactic singer in Love Story 2050. Now if she is playing a bitchy diva in any or all of those films, I'll be line for tickets, otherwise...

* And speaking of, Kat has walked out of
Prakash Jha's upcoming Aarakshan.

*
Golmaal 3 is going to be amazing, says Golmaal 3 production team! (I'm sending this headline to The Onion!)

"Distributor Ramesh Sippy of Raksha Enterprises says that there are deafening whistles and shouts in the theatre when the trailer plays. "Each of the actor's individual screen entries in the promo is met with claps. And, when Tusshar does his by-now-famous-stammering-act, the crowd just collapses into laughter,'' adds Ramesh.

Actually, when I saw the trailer this weekend, the crowd cheered for
Golmaal 3 but specifically groaned at Tusshar's mute act and I distinctly heard a guy sitting near me say, "He's doing this again?"

* There was a fire at
Kangana's apartment building.

* Get the run-down on the
That Girl in Yellow Boots team in Venice! (Maybe they'll hang out with Vikram and Mani Ratnam! MAYBE KALKI AND VIKRAM CAN BE IN AN ANURAG KASHYAP FILM!)

And just because...

* Pepsi = cola in
India.

Mahipal Singh, a 42-year-old truck driver who plies a route between New Delhi and Bihar, calls his rest stops "Pepsi-wepsi" breaks, regardless of what he is drinking.

I love Hindi repetitive word-play like that! What is the formal term for it? Like "talking-shalking" and so on?



Kangs on the cover of ANDpersand!



SIGH! I love her so much!

3 comments:

Bluemay said...

I totally agree with you about our US media coverage on crime. I really enjoy your blog and thank you for taking the time to write it on a daily basis. I read it after I get home from work. You have all the good gossip:) Keep up the good work!!!

P.S. The Mumbai attacks happened on November 26th not in September.

Filmi Girl said...

OMG Thanks for catching that! I'll go back and change it - this is what happens when I post early in the morning on a Sunday. :)

Anita said...

Did you see What's Your Raashee? I was impressed with Priyanka in that. Also Aitraaz...

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl