Monday, September 27, 2010

Monday Update!

My darling Bollyblogosphere people!! I'm sure you noticed I didn't have a post this morning - well, you can blame the power company because our power was out when I got up. And I assure you I was very cranky about it.

Now, since I'm going to be going through the gossip soon enough tomorrow morning, here are a few tidbits to tide you through...

The Special
Upodcast episode on Dabangg, with special guest star... ME is up!

http://upodcasting.com/1068/upodcast-dabanng-special

Go forth and listen!

This profile of SUPERSTAR RAJINIKANTH is pretty much the greatest thing I read all day.

At 61 years old, Rajinikanth has made more than 150 movies in India, and he isn't even a proper Bollywood star. He works in the Tamil film industry, Bollywood's poorer Southern cousin, best-known for its ace cinematographers and gritty crime dramas. But whereas Bollywood stars may have devoted fans, Rajinikanth is considered beyond reproach, beyond criticism, beyond good or bad. Ask Bolly-fans about their favorite stars, and they'll spout the typical griping—Hrithik is a little boy, Shah Rukh Khan is spoiled, Amitabh Bachchan wears a toupee—but mention Rajinikanth, and their eyes light up. He is so rich, he does so many good deeds, his films are all No. 1 superhits. Rajinikanth is not just some filmstar, they insist. Rajinikanth is a "real man."

The whole thing is excellent but even better are the comments - some people seem to be truly offended for no reason that I can see, since the entire profile praises SUPERSTAR RAJINIKANTH for being super awesome and having excellent entrance songs, except that the author isn't writing in the style I like to call Bollywood Purple Prose (you know, where everything is "superb" and "a no. 1 superhit" and nothing even slightly negative is mentioned.)



Sameera Reddy shakes her tail-feathers in "Isak Se Meetha" from
Aakrosh!



And I'm digging Punjabi By Nature's "Kaun Nachdi!" Check out this video...!!



I am NOT digging this picturization or this song - which sum up almost everything I hate about contemporary Bollywood right now... messy "faux-casual" club scene dance moves; comedy dancing from the male lead and "sexy" dancing from the female; crappy Hinglish lyrics; and a really mediocre Western pop beat.

YOU ARE FAIL
ANJAANA ANJAANI!

2 comments:

Anu Russell said...

I found the Rajini article not offensive but cliched. Whoever wrote it went and google "Rajnikanth" on the web and put together a mish-mash of all the sterotypes. It is boring and not worth reading. But that is from me a Rajni fan from the time I was a child...I know a Rajni that only Tamil fans will know not what the non-fans will know.

And no Tamil industry is not the poorer cousin to BOllywood. We make movies as expensive as Bollywood...only we dont have fair guys dancing with thin sticks...we have actors who look like normal South Indians.

Yes, the article is blah but that is my opinion.

Filmi Girl said...

@anu I understand what you're saying and for true fans, they probably won't get anything from it.

I think the article was written for media-savvy Westerners who don't know any Indian films at all and I think it works as an introduction for that audience. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl