Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday Gossip!

Good morning, world!

So, last night I watched Pithamagan - and then I had anxious dreams all night long. Still, it was an amazing film. My review of that should be up later today.

Also coming this week... I catch up with the CURRY SMUGGLERS and I have more Love Story 2050 for you, too. And if I have time, I have a pile of black and white Dadamoni films just begging to be watched, so keep your eyes peeled for those, as well.

And I just started a Tumblr, so go ahead and let me know if you're on there, too, so we can be tumblr friends! I also set a button to submit images and links - just click on "Are you filmi, too?" and send me your favorite Bolly-stuff!

Now!

First up, Anjaana Anjaani has been postponed until October 1st. It gives us one more week of pure Dabangg fun!

But let's see what else is happening!

* After watching Pithamagan, I'm now a super Surya fan and somebody sent me this news story about upcoming Surya film Rakta Charitra and the tonsure scene. I think I missed it before because I have no idea what tonsuring is. Wikipedia says that it's a ritual cutting of the hair and the article says that Chiranjeevi's brother thinks RGV is showing his tonsuring in the biopic.

* Narmmadaa Ahuja (Govinda's daughter) is ready for her close-up.

* Salman Khan is auctioning of gym sessions for charity. If you are interested in bidding, click here! (Or just click to admire that picture!)

* Stardust breathlessly recaps the Deepika-Sonam feud.

Both critically in terms of acclaim, and commercially at the box-office, Deepika had zoomed much ahead of Sonam. That’s when, a source close to the actress reveals, “Deepika started feeling upset over people still comparing her with Sonam. She found it unfair because while she had box-office credit and critically appreciated performances, Sonam just had two flops and no worthwhile roles to establish her acting.” And, though now, I Hate Luv Storys has become the first hit in Sonam’s career, her performance has courted flak from many quarters. Even in a recent poll conducted by a tabloid, where industry experts had to choose between the two actresses, most of the analysts voted in favour of Deepika over Sonam.

Yeah. I don't think either of them have been much praised for their acting abilities in anything. Deepika's only advantage is that she managed to pick films that were hits.


* Ranbir Kapoor is my favorite up and coming hero and this interview shows why.

I did Raajneeti which was the biggest ensemble film. I have nothing about ensemble films. Like I said, it's about the character and the script offered to me. When Raajneeti was offered to me, I really didn't know who else was cast in the film. I just said 'yes' after Prakash narrated me the script. An ensemble cast doesn't scare me. I have that much of faith in me. I am talented and I will give it my best shot like I do in my solo roles. As long as the script is good, I'm cool in doing an ensemble film.

Ranbir also has some good things to say about Rocket Singh, which makes me happy because sometimes actors disown their flops, even if the flops are really good films - like Rocket Singh

(TEAM RANBIR!)

* I know I said I'm boycotting lazy journalists who post Twitter update stories but this one is too good. Apparently, Hrithik Roshan is in Egypt.

"Egypt!Deep sea diving.its another world down there.peaceful.silent.beautiful.lethal," he posted on his Twitter page, alongside a photograph of himself on a boat, presumably just before he went diving.

Do you know how much I love that they posted the tweet verbatim!?! I can just imagine the journalist who did that. "God, I spent 5 years working my way up and I have to report on this idiot? He can't even punctuate properly!"

* Another bit of classic catty journalism is this piece on Rekha attending Shabana Azmi's 60th birthday party.

When [Rekha] entered the party scene the Bachchans were already present. She went ahead and was seen greeting Jaya Bachchan, who looked elegant in white salwar-suit. Noticing it, beta Abhishek Bachchan and his wife Aishwarya Rai too joined Rekha and chatted with her for a while. However, one couldn’t see Amitabh in the vicinity at that time. The superstar was seen bonding with others.

Appreciate that tone, which says "Gosh, I'm so innocent, I can't think of a single reason why Amitabh wouldn't want to be in the same vicinity as Rekha" while still giving us all the juicy passive-aggressive behavior that Rekha was getting up to.

* Abbas Tyrewala's wife Pakhi got a lip job. (Yawn. Just like every other actress in Bollywood.)

* Here is a little more info on that Prabhu Deva/Akshay Kumar film.

However, the speculation around this being a period dance drama is incorrect. The film is being set in the modern times and has a contemporary feel to it. Also, dance would form one of the many ingredients of this hardcore commercial masala flick which would go on floors early next year once Akshay Kumar wraps up the shoot of Desi Boyz [to be directed by Rohit Dhawan - son of David Dhawan].

The words 'hardcore masala flick' just make my heart beat with joy. And Akshay Kumar... DANCING! SANJAY LEELA BANSALI! PRABU DEVA! Why aren't I watching this movie right now?

* Bollywood hungama breaks down 2010 by star worth. (You can read my take on 2010 here.)

This has also led to reaffirmation that star system is there to stay. With all major stars bringing in money (even Hrithik Roshan's Kites - despite being a trade disaster - took a solid opening) for the industry, it is crystal clear that Bollywood revels in its stars. There may have been a little 'naraazgi' for a short while with some of the superstars failing to be consistent at the box office in some of the earlier years. However, the strain in the relation seems to have disappeared fast. Stars are being adulated all over again, chants of 'sir ji tussi great ho' are back in the vogue, gaga saga of 'superstar hamesha superstar rehta hai' is being heard all over again and champagne bottles are been uncorked practically every second week.

* Bebo is replacing Kat in the Bodyguard remake. And thank goodness! Kat and Salman have zero chemistry on-screen.

* Trisha has joined Mankatha, which stars Ajith.

* Imran Khan is doing a cameo in an Allu Arjun film. Apparently I Hate Luv Storys caught people's attention. Although, I suspect it was the catchy title track that really caught people's attention.

"Milgaye jo chora chori
Hui masti thodi thodi
Bas pyaar ka naam na lena
I hate luv storys"


* The music launch of Prabu Deva's Ich Engeyum Kadhal is going to be October 3rd!







NEW MESSAGE FROM AKSHAY KUMAR!!!! He's like your dad, talking about the Internet! I LOVE IT!

6 comments:

Amaluu said...

Hmm, I like Ranbir, but seriously, who says "I am talented"??? That put me off a little.

HOLY CRAP Rekha looks freakin' gorgeous.

Kaitlyn said...

Anjaana Anjaani has been delayed? I just got an e-mail through my dealer (only word for it really) saying it would be here this Friday. (Friday til Wednesday.)

Interesting.

The Rekha stuff reminds me of American tabloids STILL going on about Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston.

Kaitlyn said...

Also, speaking of Imran movies and catchy songs...

I can't wait to see some great fanvids set to the title song. (Pappu Can't Dance *and* he hates love stories.)

And I made the part you put in the post my FB status for days in an attempt to remove the song from my brain. That didn't go so well.

"Milgaye jo chora chori
Hui masti thodi thodi
Bas pyaar ka naam na lena
I hate luv storys"

dustdevil liz said...

I hadn't heard the story about Paritala Ravindra tonsuring Pawan Kalyan. The wiki entry on Ravindra is full of some crazy stuff, so if it's true, that seems like a pretty hardcore intersection of politics, showbiz and organized crime. Interesting that the Pawan Kalyan fans don't turn that around as a sign of street-cred, like 50 Cent's gunshot scars.

Filmi Girl said...

@amaluu I think that's just Bollywood, though. They all talk like that. Except Salman! ;P

@Kaitlyn That's what I heard... unless the prints that have shipped to the US are just going to screen as planned... hmmm...

@dustdevil liz Isn't that story interesting?! I'm so curious about RGV's movie now! My excitement level has literally gone from zero to SURYA.

Bluemay said...

Tonsuring in India is included in Chris Rock's documentary "Good Hair". The movie also shows how the hair gets from the Indian temples to wig/beauty salons in Los Angeles to be sold for weaves. It's a very lucrative industry.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl