Saturday, August 28, 2010

Saturday Gossip!

Good morning, world!

Let's see what is happening in TINSEL TOWN!

* While almost everybody seems to agree that
Aashayein is a bust, Antardwand is getting some great reviews!

The film has moments of delicious dark humour like the scene where the almost-unconscious-after-being beaten groom’s measurements are being taken for the wedding. There’s an item song in the film alright, but not Bollywood style - it’s an earthy one performed by a woman in a garish, loud sari, wearing gajra in the hair.



*
The Hollywood Reporter prints a ridiculous article on female directors in Bollywood.

Women directors in the Mumbai film industry are still few and far between, with only a select group able to break the glass ceiling in what is still a male-dominated industry.

"It is always difficult to make your first film, but even more so as a woman, because you are worried whether any one will take you seriously here," said Rajshree Ojha, whose film
Aisha released this month.


Look, speaking as somebody who gave up on trying to break into a male-dominated industry (audio engineering, in my case), I understand that it is difficult to be a woman in a male-dominated working environment and I am perfectly willing to believe that it is harder to make your first film as a woman in Bollywood. HOWEVER, talent will shine through and it's no use blaming a crappy film on the director's gender. Farah Khan and Zoya Akhtar both managed successes with their first films - commercial for the former, critical for the latter - and you don't see them going around bitching to the media about how hard life is. And let's not forget producer-extrordinaire Ekta Kapoor, who has built herself a media empire.

I'm not ragging on Rajshree Ojha, who seems to have gotten in over her head in dealing with the Anil Kapoor
khandan, but on the author of the article who isn't doing women directors any favors by making them seem whiney and incompetent.

* Rakhi Sawant is
done with movies.

"I gave my six months to Dil Bole Hadippa. But when the film released, my entire role was chopped off. So then I said namaskar to the big screen."

* Esha Deol is
suing Ram Gopal Varma for unpaid wages.

* Dilip Kumar talks about
his autobiography.

* Akshay Kumar is going to
dishoom the word 'retard' from our vocabularies!

* Sonakshi Sinha
talks about high expectations.

" People are expecting a lot from me and it is a scary thing because I have no formal training on acting. I have just gone ahead and given my best shot."

Juding from the promos of
Dabangg, I already rank her higher than Deepika or Sonam... we'll see if I'm right or if I have to eat my words.

* Do you really want to take life advice from a
guy who wears butt pads?

Now that Shahid Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra are a couple again, Shahid is trying to be bossy and is demanding that Priyanka give up drinking and non-vegetarian food.

* Katrina Kaif
gives a rakhi to Sajid Nadiawala.

No comments:

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl