Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday monday!

Good mornings! I hope everybody has as restful as weekend as I did! Coming this week on Filmi Girl will be more Love Story 2050 and hopefully a review of a film - possibly something I've had lying around my DVD shelf for a while.

Now, let's see what is happening in Tinsel Town!

* Top story today: Who wants to see Soha Ali Khan getting a
bikini wax? Allegedly, there is footage floating around the Internet...

* No, wait! The top story is a
prostitution ring in Tollywood! Among those arrested were (the Telugu) Saira Banu and Jyoti.

It's sad but not surprising... rumors of this kind of thing haunt all the film industries - even Hollywood.

* Rana Daggubatti and Bips have a
smoking hot love scene in Dum Maro Dum.

And, says Rana,
"I'm very lucky to have got along well with all my co-stars in my first Hindi film. It was a different world for me. Not that I am not familiar with Hindi films and stars, our home production has been active in Hindi for decades, but I was never looked on as South-Indian star by my co-stars in Dum Maro Dum."

* In case you are wondering what happened to Raajeev Khandelwal, the star of
Aamir...

"People haven't seen me for a while in Bollywood because Peter, my second film got delayed. The release date is yet to be announced. I've also played a part in Will you marry me? which will release in a couple of months."

*
Main aur Mrs. Khanna might have flopped but that hasn't stopped Salman Khan from signing on with director Prem Raj's next film.

* Poor Asin is having a tough time of it - she's been dropped from the
Kakha Kakha remake in favor of Genelia D'Souza.

* Asha Bhosle says
nobody can play Kishore Kumar and she is correct.

“Kishore Kumar was one of a kind. He cannot be replicated easily on the big screen. It is very difficult for today’s actors to replicate his persona on screen. It’s impossible."

*
Dhobi Ghat may be ready for release in 2010!

* Ali Zafar has not yet signed the
Yash Raj film.

* This just in: doing things the "official" Hollywood way
totally sucks.

At that late juncture everything from the dance steps, to the set to the lyrics had to be changed and the Elvis' classic song Jailhouse Rock was titled "Dil khol ke let's rock".

"The contract arrived just days before shooting. We got to know that we couldn't use anything to do with Elvis. We had everything ready, the set, the costumes, the songs and words... Most importantly we had images of Elvis splashed all over and we had incorporated the words from "Jailhouse Rock" into the track. All that had to be scrapped."


See, people, that is what happens if you want to play ball with the Hollywood money machine. I can guarantee you that nothing like that happened on the sets of
Ek Niranjan's Michael Jackson tribute because I'm 99% sure they just did it.

2 comments:

dayshaze said...

It sounds like you're advocating the stealing of intellectual property? I believe that Hindi films, just like any other film medium, should pay to use ideas generated in Hollywood, even if they change it or build upon it. That "Hollywood machine" is made up of regular joes who work hard for the money they earn, generated by the ideas they come up with.

KJo is starting a precedent with his work in KHNH and WAF. I applaud him (even if it's difficult) and hope that this will become more and more common.

never-evil said...

That Jailhouse thing sounds...interesting. When people in Hollywood movies make references to Elvis or show someone in a karoke bar singing his (or any other old artist's) songs do they always have to ask permission to do so? Seems weird to me... It's as though you have to pay to use the dialogue "Here's looking at you, kid" isn't it? I'm confused. Ofcourse one should not infringe on IP but there is IP and then there's just references to popular culture. Any enlightenment on how all this works in Hollywood would be appreciated because I am genuinely curious.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl