Monday, August 16, 2010

Monday Gossip!

Ahoy, maties! I hope you didn't miss me too much this weekend! I was out camping in the woods with my brother and sister for Pirates Weekend. I came home yesterday smelly, hungover, sunburnt, and super-tired but it's all part of being a pirate!

Along with local favorites
Pirates for Sail, I have a new favorite pirate band called The Brigands, who delighted me with lots of killer fiddle playing.



Let me tell you that after a pirate drink or two, fiddle playing sounds
awesome!

Anyways, maybe next year we can get some Bollywood pirates there! Has there been a Bollywood pirate movie? I'm surprised nobody has gotten in on that yet?
Pirate No. 1 starring Govinda? K*pirate directed by Karan Johar?

Now, lets see what I missed while I was off jigging to fiddle music!

* The Rani is back! Or at least somebody took the time to go
visit her instead of just gossiping about her.

But "sadness" is not an emotion Rani subscribes to. Instead, you see a small, slightly injured but visibly annoyed human being, who is not going to give her detractors the satisfaction of seeing her retreat without a fight. "I don't need to sign many movies just to prove I exist, even though this may be the worst time in my career. I don't need to go to all social events - I go if I am really needed; if someone just sends me a message on my phone, why will I go? I have done my time doing that. But there's no limit to what I can do."

* God help gossip writers if I see
one more article on Mugdha Godse and her stupid white bikini in Help. Bikinis don't see movies!!! You need look no further than Tashan and Kidnap for proof.

* The
Hollywood Reporter manages to be extremely condescending in its review of Tere Bin Laden.

The film has done remarkably well in India, and its novelty factor may also draw expatriate Indians to theaters in droves.

Western audiences aren't likely to be so impressed. America's aggression presents an easy target, and we're already used to seeing our country expertly lampooned - from
Dr. Strangelove to contemporary satirists like Harry Shearer, Jon Stewart and Sacha Baron Cohen. The film elicits chuckles, but few solid laughs.


The review also trumpets that political satire is new to Indian cinema. O RLY? Don't confuse satire you understand with political satire, Lisa, darling.

Besides, who cares if Western audiences get it or not.
Adnan Sami speaks for more than himself when he says that "[Tere Bin Laden] should have been shown in cinemas all over Pakistan because Ali Zafar has acted in it... and he's done such a great job."

* Are celebs overdoing
brand endorsements?

* On casting
well-known faces in Bollywood...

Still, one can't deny the fact that it is hard to neglect an image that a star carries. When a Dabangg is being conceptualised, it is hard to imagine anyone other than Salman Khan playing 'Chulbul Pandey'.

* Will Shirish Kunder's
Joker finally see the light of day?

* Shruti Hasaan is getting
re-launched in Bollywood with director A.R. Murugadaoss in Ezham Arivu.

* Deepika Padukone had not seen either
Fanaa or Black before taking on her role in Lafangey Parindey.

I will never understand how these actors don't watch films!! It's not like Deepika was avoiding some obscure films, these were huge hits from before she was even in Bollywood - she would have really had to gone out of her way to not see these. Can you become a good actor if you don't love films?

* Read about the design of
Action Replayy!

Looking at Akshay's hairstyle, you immediately tend to remember Sunil Dutt from his Zakhmee (1975) days. Such thick hair and the way it was parted over the forehead was quite a trend during those days. It is apparent that Akshay was inspired by Sunil Dutt here and with Action Replayy, he is reliving the era gone by.

* Bebo wants a new script for
Heroine - and honestly, it's good to see somebody busting Madhur Bhandarkar's balls. Fashion had a weak script and while I didn't see Jail, reviews implied that it did, too.

* Arjun Rampal is
out... of Don 2! He's being replaced in the role originally rocked by Pran.

* Salman Khan can be a pig but there is
something charming about his candor.

"That time [Sonakshi] was very plump. But from her expressions, we figured that she could emote very well. She could dance very well. We knew she has all the qualities. When she lost weight, she just fit into place."

* Vidya Balan may not be doing a film with Vikram, but she may be doing an
item number!

* And check out Vidya's cousin Priyamani looking
smashing in a little, black dress!



Trailer time! Do I particularly care for Ram Gopal Varma? No. Do I want to see Vivek Oberoi running around with a giant machete? Yes!!!!!!!

Raka Charita for the win!

3 comments:

nayika said...

Re:Deepika
In the Bollywood Hungama video with Neil what she actually says is she has watched Fanaa and Black in the past. But she didn't go out and intentionally re-watch the films as preparation for her own character.

Filmi Girl said...

@nayika Thanks for the clarification! :)

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

But of course there are Bollywood pirate movies! the one i remember this minute is Baaz (1953), with Guru Dutt. crazy fun.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl