Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday Gossip!!

Good morning to you all! I hope everyone had a restful weekend. I certainly did - although I was up far too late last night watching Skins. What a great show! And it stars a super-young Dev Patel! They don't make television like that here in the US. I tried watching Jr. NTR's Ashok but it got bogged down in Second-Half Syndrome. There was far too much of boring Sameera Reddy and stupid father-son drama with Stealth Hottie Prakash Raj and not enough of Sonu Sood chewing scenery and waving his sword around (that's not a double entendre but I do believe the sword was a metaphor for... something.)

Also, I recorded another podcast with Paresh from Curry Smugglers and Asim from UPodcast and we talked all about ITEM NUMBERS! That should be coming soon, so stay tuned!

Okay, then, moving on - let's see what happening in Tinsel Town.

* Katrina Kaif talks
sex appeal.

“To me, sex appeal is more than just looking good or wearing short clothes. It is in the attitude you exude and how you carry yourself.”

*
Dostana 2 has been delayed. (So, there is time to hire Alex Meraz for his item number! Just do it, Karan!)

* Take a look at the stars Bollywood has
been ignoring... Jimmy Shergill, Sonu Sood, and more!

* Ali Zafar had been
kidnapped two years ago by an Osama Bin Laden supporter.

* Salman Khan was told to
lose muscle for Dabangg.

* Trisha deals poorly with
negative reviews of Khatta Meetha.

“Friends were honest to say that they didn’t like me in the commissioner’s role. They like me as a college girl. It was a risk because I have never done something like this. Even in South, I have done different kind of roles, but never this kind of a role."

Sweetie, you're 27 - you don't have many years of "college student" left. Ladies don't get away with that age-bending as much as the Heroes do.

* Akshay Kumar is producing an
Indo-Canadian film.

* I will never understand why people get so up-in-arms about cigarettes. Luckily,
Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai has wafted its smoke past the censors.

* Tomboy Bebo is
hot! I like her de-glam look so much better than the Size Zero Barbie look.

* I find this much more depressing than it was intended to be - young directors talk
the future of Bollywood.

Tarun Mansukhani

“The new trend signifies that content is king. Small films like
Tere Bin Laden or Udaan are working because their script is strong."


Is that true, though? They might work because the budgets are small enough that they can earn back there money just from multiplexes in the big cities but the mass audiences are never going to embrace those small films. There is a reason
Housefull has been one of the biggest hits this year and it's not because the script was strong.

E Niwas

“I think big actors will not mind playing a small character in a film which has a strong story and interesting characters. Hollywood actors have been doing this for long, India is catching up now...Actors are slowly realising that hero-oriented roles come with a lot of baggage."


This isn't bad a thing, if big actors do begin to take smaller, character roles. The thing with Hero-oriented roles is that they aren't
roles, per se. You are either a Hero or you aren't. Actors don't play Heroes, they are Heroes - which is why there are only a handful left in Bollywood. And of the up-and-comers, only Ranbir Kapoor has the acting cojones to be a Hero.

Puneet Malhotra

“The absence of lip sync songs is going to be the next big trend in Bollywood. In the context of making our films global, more and more filmmakers are not giving their actors an option to lip sync songs on screen."


But why do you want to alienate your core audience that LIKES lip-sync songs in pursuit of some "global" audience? Who do you think is actually watching Bollywood films?

Vikramaditya Motwane

“I think films made by Indians and for Indians will be the next big thing. The NRI-centric films are no longer exciting."


Somehow, I think this is just wishful thinking. Again,
Housefull - takes place in London. Also, the big USP of 3 Idiots was a nostalgia for India - aimed at the global audience even if it didn't take place in Singapore or Toronto.

* Finally, speaking of -
Rajkumar Hirani is working on his next film.

5 comments:

Maya Magdalena said...

Another podcast, yay! Fantastic news, can't wait..! I really enjoyed the last one :)

eliza bennet said...

"I will never understand why people get so up-in-arms about cigarettes."

As a smoker, I can tell you that it is justified. People, especially young people who are impressionable may start smoking if their idols do (ok just to be clear I didn't start smoking because of that). Just imagine how many girls/boys would start smoking if Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga openly smoked.

Filmi Girl said...

@Maya Yay! I'm glad you're excited! :D I love talking about stuff and sounding smart...

@eliza Really? I smoke, too, once in a while and while sometimes if I'm watching somebody smoke on-screen I really want a cigarette I think banning it and making it forbidden fruit is more tempting to kids than just showing it.

eliza bennet said...

Banning may not be the right word for it. It is more like not putting it out on screen. I have to admit it looks so funny watching old films on telly since they block it out (one channel replaces a cigarette with a hand drawn flower).

And I think this sort of not putting it on TV anymore is one of the reasons people do not start smoking anymore. I really hope that this whole smoking thing will be erased from earth (not in a Demolition Man sort of way but in a way that no one would want to smoke since it is a disgusting habit which makes no sense)

claire said...

“The absence of lip sync songs is going to be the next big trend in Bollywood. In the context of making our films global, more and more filmmakers are not giving their actors an option to lip sync songs on screen."

But why do you want to alienate your core audience that LIKES lip-sync songs in pursuit of some "global" audience? Who do you think is actually watching Bollywood films?


I completely agree with you here! It's getting really boring to just watch these bland montage songs... I want my big naach-gaana numbers back!!
And I don't know why lip-synched songs shouldn't be considered "global" anyway... How does Puneet Malhotra explains Glee's success then, for instance ?

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl