Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday Gossip!

Good morning! Oh, such a weekend I had, toiling away at the bubble factory. (Not really - I just really loved Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani, unlike Beth. But then she thought Striker was an interesting film and I turned it off halfway to watch Prabhas "play" guitar and do wire work in Adavi Ramdu.)

SO! What do we have today?

* Somebody is going to join me on this
Bollywood tour of Switzerland, right?!

On their 12-day tour, marketed as the Enchanted Journey and organized by the Indian affiliate of the Swiss travel agency Kuoni, the travelers watched DVDs of Bollywood film scenes shot in Switzerland while traveling from site to site. They posed, laughing, for snapshots imitating their film heartthrobs.

Of course, this being from the NYT, the article has to end on a weirdly racist note.

But not everyone shares the dream. In June, the Zurich newspaper Tages-Anzeiger featured an article with the headline “Into the Luxury Hotel with a Gas Cooker,” noting that “in some hotels an entire caste of guests is no longer desired: the Indians.”

The article catalogued the complaints of hotel managers: guests who cook curry dishes on camping stoves in their rooms; guests who use bath oils that blacken tubs; guests who book for a husband and wife, only to show up with the entire family.

In Engelberg, where a visitor is more likely to encounter a woman in a sari than hear the clang of a cowbell, some European tourists are unsettled.


That is how you end a heart-warming article, NYT?!

*
I Hate Luv Storys is a much needed non-flop for Sonam and Imran. (Although, don't think it will make us forget Kidnap, Luck, Delhi 6, and Saawariya entirely.)

* Why is Rani
becoming a recluse? And why are people suddenly reporting weird stories about her?

* Aishwarya Rai is doing a
cosmetics commercial with Kate Winslet.

* Prachi Desai loves
Archie comics! Yes, it's news. Shut up! I love Archie Comics, too!!

* Ekta Kapoor has snagged
Vishal Bhardwaj for a new film!

* Shooting has begun for Imtiaz Ali's
Rockstar. Apparently, Ranbir was spotted practicing his guitar.

* Dharmendra is
saying good-bye to politics.

* Abhay Deol is upset that he is being
left out of the promotions for Aisha. Because it's not a women's film. Right.

*
The Italian Job re-make is being shot in New Zealand. No word on the new title... The Auckland Job?

* Emraan Hashmi hates the term
six pack.

Emraan has really worked on his body for this film, but says he detests the term "six-pack abs".

"I hate this term six-pack. When Milan narrated the script he made sure that the character demands an overall muscular physique. Because of the action sequences, the toughness in the look was required," he said.


Also, I get the feeling Emraan Hashmi hasn't seen too many 1970s films.

2 comments:

Christine Menefee said...

I'm with Beth on both Ajab Prem... and Striker, but I did like Adavi Ramdu well enough.

I appreciate your ombudsman work on NYT. Somebody ought to keep them honest.

I hate the word and the concept six pack too. After seeing Magadheera and Majaa recently, though, I'm afraid the older term "beefcake" might be coming back and that would be even worse.

Christine Menefee said...

PS meant to add I loved Delhi-6 (even if the ending was a mess, that was just at the end) - guess that's one performance I did like Abishek in after all (thought he carried it off, even if I didn't love him in it). I don't understand why it's so universally hated. My strong feelings for the movie might have something to do with having lived there, but if so it's because it captures the city so well. I also loved how they handled the theme of culture shock (again, personal references), and as for the other aspects of the film, the cultural references were so beautifully woven throughout the story, and the musical score was just outstanding, that I was fascinated throughout. Not a perfect movie but as I say, I'm surprised that so many people find nothing in it to like but the music.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl