Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wednesday Gossip!

Good morning, chickies! Are you ready for a lovely Bolly-filled day?

Let's hit the gossip!

The news we've all been waiting for...
the old films are finally getting some restoration work!

* Is Bollywood outpricing itself
out of hits? Check out the hits of the year so far.

The surprise hit of the year was Vivek Oberoi’s Prince, which ran houseful in the hinterland. Small budget films such as Ishqiya, Karthik Calling Karthik, Love Sex aur Dhokha, and Badmaash Company also kept the coffers rolling. “Due to the short duration of these films, with multiple shows in a day, exhibitors managed nominal returns, if not housefull shows,” says Deepak Taluja of Fun Cinemas. “With the success of films like Raajneeti and Housefull, the audience have proved that content remains the king,” says Adarsh.

I kind of love the implication that because Housefull was a hit, content is king. Content in this case meaning slapstick comedy, item numbers, and Akshay Kumar. I'm not hating, I'm just explaining. I happened to approve of all three of those things.

* I love that
this article about Vidya Balan spotted out and about with Karan Johar never once suggests that the two are dating - because that would be ridiculous. The press's "we never link Karan with ladies but, no, he's not gay because that was illegal in India until just recently" thing never gets old.

* Yet another non-actress whose only talents appear to be being half-Brazilian and having a bikini bod will
make her debut in I Hate Luv Storys.

* Ali Zafar talks
Tere Bin Laden.

Q. You have come to India at a point when the relations between India and Pakistan are not at their cordial best.

I think both countries share a love-hate relationship. Art and culture is the only binding force. And I strongly believe love always wins. Also, I have been to Mumbai in the past for my albums and I love the warmth the city exudes. I feel very welcome here.


* Kangana Ranaut is
improving her English accent.

"I am a girl from a small town in Himachal Pradesh. When I came to Mumbai I knew how to speak English but I didn't pronounce the words properly. I decided to change that. I learnt English by reading books. My way of learning a language is by learning grammar first, and then improving my vocabulary. I am a self-taught person. I decided to learn English and pronounce words properly because I found it difficult expressing myself sometimes to my directors."

What a sweetie! I think you sound just fine, darling, but cheers to you for wanting to improve your mind!

* Be careful what you say at Bollywood industry parties, an unnamed source passed on
some gossip that Rhea Kapoor (Sonam's sister) made some unflattering comments about Ranbir Kapoor.

DAMN! What is with all the hating on Ranbir recently? The guy seems perfectly nice.

* Check out a review of
the 3 Idiots book!

Close to 100 odd pages in the book are spent on these conversations which makes 3 Idiots: The Original Screenplay totally different from other Hindi film screenplays which have been brought on stands so far. Rajkumar Hirani, Abhijat Joshi, Vidhu Vinod Chopra, Aamir Khan, Madhavan, Sharman Joshi, Kareena Kapoor, Omi Vaidya and Boman Irani - each of them speak at length around how they came into the film and the experience of making the film. Also rest assured, there are none of those boring, clich├ęd and diplomatic 'Oh I loved working with XYZ' statements that time and again threaten to eat up some precious paper.

I hope this trend continues for other films!

Check out the long-awaited poster for
We Are Family aka Karan Johar's Stepmom.


I don't know, you guys. I'm not feeling this one. Maybe I'll change my mind once I see the promos...

5 comments:

eliza bennet said...

I'm happy that Katrina and Akshay did good this year. Akshay most definitely needed a hit. I hope his lucky streak continues.

I'm feeling "We are Family" hoping that it will be just as melodramatic and well acted as the original. The only thorn on my side is Arjun Rampal. Of all the wooden good looking actors, why him? Was John Abraham busy? Akshaye would have been a much better choice, at least the man can act once in a while.

eliza bennet said...

P.S: Arjun fans please don't be offended. My Abhi is not that great in the acting department either :) Arjun is simply not the type of guy I'm into neither as eye candy, nor as actor.

Sonia said...

The Karan Johar/Vidya Balan piece is hilarious!!!

The poster of Stepmom Remake doesn't excite me either but I'll catch any movies w/ Kajol!

ajnabi said...

I hated the original Stepmom so I'm hoping they made some changes to the storyline. Of course, I don't like Julia Roberts either so that might have had something to do with it.

As for the Ranbir hate--well, from Bollyfans it's just because he's not their cuppa, but from the industry insiders, I'm convinced it's jealousy. Dude is mad talent.

Filmi Girl said...

@eliza Ha ha! I think Arjun has gotten much, much better in the last couple of years. :)

@Sonia I know, right?! If it had been any other industry person, this would have been a link-up story.

@ajnabi I never saw the original and I have a feeling that it won't stick that closely to the original anyways... Bolly re-makes NEVER do.

And WORD on Ranbir - Dude is crazy talented.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl