Well, folks, it's that time again... Bollywood gossip fueled by my local coffee shop!
Let's start it off right...
* ...with a fawning profile of Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan!
As the evening ends, Rai’s husband Abishek arrives to escort her to a screening. I ask him if this is Bollywood’s moment. “Just because the world is now taking notice of Bollywood, we should never change a single thing about how we make our movies just to please the Western eye. We live in a world now where everyone can share in the global village and that’s why Americans, Brits, and Europeans will start to watch our movies in huge numbers. We offer a version of escapism that maybe you guys don’t. My father’s films were all about shoot ‘em up, blow ‘em up escapism. There wasn’t a kid growing up in India who didn’t want to be my Dad in the movies. And maybe now with the collaborations that I can’t actually mention, but are green-lit by Hollywood, my wife and I can give Western cinema goers more reasons to support Indian cinema.”
Can I just take a moment to roll my eyes at that quote from Abhi? Maybe kids wanted to be Vijay because he had more substance than the simple escapism offered by other Heroes. And let me add that he later goes on to equate his role in Dostana with Sean Penn's in Milk.
* But my growing dislike for Abhi can't quell my excitement for Raavan! In news today, Rensil D'Silva - he of the epic flop Kurbaan - has gone missing from the credits of Raavan. Yay?
I guess he is not responsible for this amazing sounding bridge fight!
* The Bachchan bahu will be gracing our screens in Endhiran (finally!!) in August!
(Refresh your memory of the film!)
* For whatever reason, Imtiaz Ali has decided that he is only casting non-actresses in his films from now on. This includes the firangi model starring opposite Ranbir in Rock Star.
Nargis Fakhri is half-Pakistani - best case scenario is that we have another Katrina Kaif on our hands, but even my beloved Kat had a sharp learning curve. I just got a lot less excited for Rock Star.
* I am super-excited for Once Upon A Time in Mumbai, however! Kangana Ranaut looking fine? Yes, please! She apparently had a giant book of styles that she referred to.
And poor Prachi Desai was cast opposite the serial kisser himself - Emraan Hashmi - without kissing.
* Trouble in First Wives' Club paradise... rumors of a Susanne-Gauri feud have got Susanne furious.
Says Mrs. Duggu: "I've not done the interiors of Gauri Khan's house. That is full credit to her and I will not be asking my friends to do openings! I can't understand the rubbish that the press keeps writing. Big article in DNA fully untrue! Yes I am opening my own store. Who is to stop some journos from concocting these bizarre random stories just as they feel! Why can't they find out the truth before doing so?"
* Single lady Sushmita Sen must be thanking her lucky stars that she never signed up to be a First Wive - she recommends not tattooing a man's name on one's body.
* Do Not Want: Abhishek-Deepika starrer directed by Ashutosh Gowarikar.
This Abhishek Bachchan and Deepika Padukone starrer film is said to be a periodic thriller based on the 1930 Chittagong Uprising. Ashutosh has revealed that the story for this film has been inspired by Manini Chatterjee’s novel ‘Do and Die’.
This has disaster written all over it - Ashutosh Gowarikar NEEDS a strong personality to make him behave. Somebody like Aamir will fight back and say, "No, yaar, 6 hours is way too long for a film." Weaker stars say nothing and that is how 4 hour romantic comedies are released.
* Minnisha Lamba is employed!
* So is Yash Chopra! (But not on the same film.)
* Anupam Kher is playing Hitler! Yes! That is a film that I will watch.
* The divine Miss Namitha is one more no show at IIFA.
* John Abraham may just don the khakee uniform and mouche for his remake of Kaakha Kaakha.
* Nana Patekar is causing problems for Rajneeti.
* Tere Bin Laden is looking better and better!
* And who wants a new David Dhawan film? What if I tell you it's called Rascals?
* Prateik Babbar snubs Nagesh Kukunoor - maybe Prateik caught a showing of 8 x 10 Tasveer?
Finally.... is everybody excited for Rajneeti?!
Note from Filmi Girl:
I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.
If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.
xoxo Filmi Girl