Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thursday Gossip - Evening Edition!

Just one more day until Raavanan!! Can you even wait?! I'm going to be reading reviews like crazy tomorrow in anticipation of the show.

Let's hit the gossip!

* Dear Friend Hitler has the Western press all in a tizzy. To such an extent that Anupam Kher has quit the film.

"Considering the ill-will that the project is generating among my fans, I wish to withdraw from it as I respect their sentiments."

This might be the topic for a Filmi Girl Essay (TM) but I find the outrage over this from Europe and America to be ridiculous. Hollywood makes movies like this all the time! Remember when Forrest Whitaker played Idi Amin? Yeah. You can't tell me that Hitler is some sort of untouchable evil person who can never be talked or written about except as some sort of demon sent to Earth but Idi Amin is appropriate fodder for a film.

That essay would get my "Hollywood is Stupid" tag.

* It's finally happened!! Shakira is singing for Bollywood!

* And Aishwarya Rai makes yet another foray into Hollywood with a film that I might actually want to see! The Spy Princess is based on the true story of Noor Inayat Khan.

* My girl Katrina Kaif is going to tackle a double role. Okay, now, I know that at least two-thirds of you reading this probably aren't excited but for the third of us who are Katrina fans... YAY!

* Rajneeti is still in the news - some BJP MLAs were caught with pirated discs of the film. Prakash Jha is going to take action against them, as well he should!

* Also, there will be no party without Kat. So stop asking him, already!

* Apparently Sharmila Tagore has taken a liking to Deepika Padukone while the two are shooting together in Mauritius. Judging from what I've heard of Sharmila-ji's, shall we say, witchy personality, having her like you isn't much of a compliment.

* Those of you waiting for Aamir Khan to join Twitter before you start tweeting take note - he's starting his account July 1st.

* Speaking of Twitter, Imran Khan and Deeps have been instructed to keep silent about Break Ke Baad. Well, Deeps can spend her time chatting with Sharmila-ji about how dreadfully tacky everybody else is!

* Lara Dutta joins the cast of Desi Boyz - making it a film I will never see. I have a complicated arithmetic about how different stars affect the chances I will see a film or not but in the absence of somebody like Akshay Kumar, Lara is enough to give a film an "avoid, yaar" rating from me.

* And nobody can overcome the AVOID YAAR rating of Shiney Ahuja, who will be allowed to stay in Mumbai until June 30th. Mothers, lock up your daughters until July 1st!

* Suriya is starting 7am Arivu, which co-stars Shruthi Hasaan. I know she didn't make a splash in Luck but I think she has potential!

* Salman Khan is causing problems for Asin, who is set to star with him in the remake of Ready. Salman attended the IIFA awards... the South Indian Film Federations is boycotting people who did... etc. etc. We'll see what happens.

* Trouble on the sets of Mausam?

* Jal is going Bollywood! Best of luck, boys! And come visit us here in America soon, too!

* I suppose it was inevitable - the makers of Tere Bin Laden - the name of which always makes me giggle - have received a death threat.

* More trouble for Lamhaa - the character of Kuku Pare has been axed from the film because the filmmakers feared retribution from the original militant turned politician.

* Akshay will take on corrupt politicians in Khatta Meeta!

TRAILERS!!!



Khatta Meeta!!! AKSHAY KUMAR NO. 1 Ladies Fan Club, this is for you!



Clueless Aisha!!!



Lamhaa!!!!

God, this summer is going to be so good for films!

4 comments:

Sonia said...

1) I'm definitely one of the 1/3 who are Kat's fans!

2) I like Shruti too! And I've come across something interesting - Surya endorsing jewellery!

3) The cast of Ready Hindi remake does not excite me at all.....

eliza bennet said...

I'm so excited for Khatta Meeta after the trailer. It is the Akshay I really like and hope that the film lives up to (my) expectations.

Lamhaa is another film I never thought of but now very eager to see (I'm a total spoilerphobe so do not really watch trailers that often) It looks like it has terromance, politics, action and drama. I really don't like Sanjay's acting though but can live with it if I have to.

Kat's double role sounds fantastic to me. Double the cute!!!!

ajnabi said...

I don't think that it was the fact that the film was about Hitler that was the problem. I think the problem was that the press releases simultaneously spoke of him with admiration and neglected to mention his brutality and mass-murdering accomplishments. Quotes like:

"It aims to take the viewer into close quarters with the enigmatic personality that Hitler was and give a glimpse into his insecurities, his charisma, his paranoia and his sheer genius,"

don't indicate nearly the same thing as watching a Scotsman be seduced by power, charisma, and the wealthy lifestyle provided by being a confidante of a dictator, then slowly facing the fact that the man is a brutal genocidal maniac. (And The Last King of Scotland showed Idi Amin's depredations in graphic, disturbing detail. Does anybody really think that Kher-sahib's project would have done the same?)

I realize that Indian history classes barely touch on Hitler as a topic, and that generally he's regarded as a very good organizer (which is understandable; if he'd died before he invaded Poland he probably would have been remembered as one of the greatest leaders Europe's ever had), but now that Hindi films operate on a global scale that concept was never gonna fly.

On a totally superficial note, I cannot WAIT for Shakira to hit Bollywood. Her persona was made for filmi world.

Michael Barnum said...

Looking so very forward to Khatta Meeta and Lamhaa (nice to see Bips getting a meaty role!).

Poor misunderstood Lara Dutta...I her :)

Trying to decide on whether to see Raavan this weekend or wait for the DVD. The thought of seeing Vikram on the big screen has be a bit excited!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl