Let's hit the gossip!
* Dear Friend Hitler has the Western press all in a tizzy. To such an extent that Anupam Kher has quit the film.
"Considering the ill-will that the project is generating among my fans, I wish to withdraw from it as I respect their sentiments."
This might be the topic for a Filmi Girl Essay (TM) but I find the outrage over this from Europe and America to be ridiculous. Hollywood makes movies like this all the time! Remember when Forrest Whitaker played Idi Amin? Yeah. You can't tell me that Hitler is some sort of untouchable evil person who can never be talked or written about except as some sort of demon sent to Earth but Idi Amin is appropriate fodder for a film.
That essay would get my "Hollywood is Stupid" tag.
* It's finally happened!! Shakira is singing for Bollywood!
* And Aishwarya Rai makes yet another foray into Hollywood with a film that I might actually want to see! The Spy Princess is based on the true story of Noor Inayat Khan.
* My girl Katrina Kaif is going to tackle a double role. Okay, now, I know that at least two-thirds of you reading this probably aren't excited but for the third of us who are Katrina fans... YAY!
* Rajneeti is still in the news - some BJP MLAs were caught with pirated discs of the film. Prakash Jha is going to take action against them, as well he should!
* Also, there will be no party without Kat. So stop asking him, already!
* Apparently Sharmila Tagore has taken a liking to Deepika Padukone while the two are shooting together in Mauritius. Judging from what I've heard of Sharmila-ji's, shall we say, witchy personality, having her like you isn't much of a compliment.
* Those of you waiting for Aamir Khan to join Twitter before you start tweeting take note - he's starting his account July 1st.
* Speaking of Twitter, Imran Khan and Deeps have been instructed to keep silent about Break Ke Baad. Well, Deeps can spend her time chatting with Sharmila-ji about how dreadfully tacky everybody else is!
* Lara Dutta joins the cast of Desi Boyz - making it a film I will never see. I have a complicated arithmetic about how different stars affect the chances I will see a film or not but in the absence of somebody like Akshay Kumar, Lara is enough to give a film an "avoid, yaar" rating from me.
* And nobody can overcome the AVOID YAAR rating of Shiney Ahuja, who will be allowed to stay in Mumbai until June 30th. Mothers, lock up your daughters until July 1st!
* Suriya is starting 7am Arivu, which co-stars Shruthi Hasaan. I know she didn't make a splash in Luck but I think she has potential!
* Salman Khan is causing problems for Asin, who is set to star with him in the remake of Ready. Salman attended the IIFA awards... the South Indian Film Federations is boycotting people who did... etc. etc. We'll see what happens.
* Trouble on the sets of Mausam?
* Jal is going Bollywood! Best of luck, boys! And come visit us here in America soon, too!
* I suppose it was inevitable - the makers of Tere Bin Laden - the name of which always makes me giggle - have received a death threat.
* More trouble for Lamhaa - the character of Kuku Pare has been axed from the film because the filmmakers feared retribution from the original militant turned politician.
* Akshay will take on corrupt politicians in Khatta Meeta!
Khatta Meeta!!! AKSHAY KUMAR NO. 1 Ladies Fan Club, this is for you!
God, this summer is going to be so good for films!