Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Things I like!!!

So, wonderful people, I was thinking about what I would like to post and what came to mind was that I want to share with you some things I am liking at the moment. Here is a random sampling of some media that I am enjoying at the moment.

True Blood



(Here is the trailer for the first season of the show!)

Season 3 just started and I am loving every second.
True Blood is based on a series of novels by Charlaine Harris but seriously PWNS the heck out of them. Allan Ball (Six Feet Under) took the basic premise of the novels - being a vampire has just been made legal, telepathic waitress hooks up with one, chaos ensues - and uses it as the foundation for a wonderfully Southern Gothic series that touches on a lot of the major trigger points of American culture at the moment - gays, God, and guns. (The fact that Alexander Skarsgard aka Team Eric is easy on the eyes doesn’t hurt any, either.)

Allison Iraheta



I discovered punky pop princess Allison Iraheta when she opened for Adam Lambert on the Glam Nation tour and I have been unable to put down her album since then. Produced in true
American Idol-alum style by a butt-load of producers, Just Like You is a surprisingly coherent and extremely catchy pop-rock album. Allison has a phenomenal voice - powerful but firmly under her control - and a great sense of rhythmic timing. And if she was the one selecting the songs, she has great taste, too. With song lyrics about how “You Don’t Know Me” so you can’t judge her and other ones telling a texting obsessed lover to put down the God-damned phone, she puts out a much more spunky version of young womanhood than the infantile Taylor “Please Like Me” Swift.

OMG/Teach Me How to Dougie

My summer jams - I like hip-hop.



“OMG” by Usher is pure, club-busting hip-hop with classic lyrics like “Her booty like ‘Pow Pow Pow’/ Her boobies like “Wow O Wow” that just keep me coming back for more.



“Teach Me How to Dougie” by the Cali Swag Crew is the exact opposite of “OMG” - charmingly amateur in its catchiness but catchy nonetheless.

Vikram/Arshad Warsi





This one isn’t a surprise. These men are currently pressing all my buttons. Arshad is currently dancing up a storm on
Zara Nach and twit-picing adorable pictures of himself on Twitter and after charming my socks off in Raavanan, I’ve been catching up with Vikram’s back catalog.

I don’t know what it is that unites the two of them in my mind except that they are both devilishly handsome with buckets of masculine charisma.

Katrina Kaif



(Check out the epic
bitch-face from the crowd.)

I want to marry her and have her babies. Girlfriend is super-fine and I could watch in the crappiest roles all day long. Fortunately, she has chosen some un-crappy roles and I’ll get to see her working with two of the most talented (and coincidentally both female!) directors in Bollywood at the moment - Farah Khan and Zoya Akhtar.

Jersey Shore

(
Watch the trailer!)

This one might get me some flack but I don’t care! I love the cast of
Jersey Shore completely unironically. Basically, I am Snooki, snooking for love in all the wrong places. It bugs me that they have become a national joke because when it comes right down to it, who hasn’t gotten so drunk they bite some random person’s nipples or dance alone on the sidewalk? We are Jersey Shore! JWOWW, you should call me...

Plus, how cute is Vinny? Cute, right?! They had better not fire him for season 3.

And the stuff I’m looking forward to...
Once Upon a Time in Mumbai! Twilight: Eclipse! Tees Maar Khan! Action Replayy! Jersey Shore SEASON 2!

I love things!!!

6 comments:

Anita said...

What is this? How is it that I immediately recognized and realized that I love those first three things?! THERE ARE ACTUALLY THINGS OUT THERE THAT *BOTH* OF US LOVE??!!! XD

eliza bennet said...

True Blood is very good indeed! I have read the first book years ago and was not remotely impressed but the series are very entertaining.

Katrina I totally agree, not very good with R&B - hip hop etc. but I like Usher.

Arshad is only good to me when he is Circuit, otherwise he doesn't do anything to me despite being a better actor than most.

Vikram I have yet to watch in a film.

Sonia said...

You should check out The Vampire Diaries on CW. I like it better than True Blood. The first few episodes are Twilightish, but it picked up and the season finale was EPIC!

Filmi Girl said...

@anita I know!! I've been enjoying your True Blood tweets! :)

@Eliza I totally agree about the books - not impressive. :D

@Sonia I did check out Vampire Diaries and it's a bit too 'young' for me. :) I felt a little silly watching at the ripe old age of 30.

Sonia said...

Oh, okay then. It's much more mature than Twilight, though..just pointing that out ;)

dishoomdishoom said...

Me loves True Blood, and Katrina Kaif! Can Katrina Kaif guest star in True Blood, prehaps as the "Queen of US" or something.

As for Jersey Shore, I think i'll pass on it! Given i live in Jersey and given I come across these characters quite often on campus, i dont really need to watch the show :P

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl