Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunday Gossip - Afternoon Edition!

Oh, it is so hard going without Internet at home, my darlings! I will do my best to keep you entertained while the battery lasts on my laptop.

Let's run through the
Raajneeti reviews!

*
I loved it! (No spoilers in my review.)

The American press is baffled and ignorant, as per usual. My nemesis Rachel Saltz insists that it's based on
the Godfather and misreads Ajay Devgn's character. The LA Times gets in a dig about how the characters don't break into song-and-dance along with a Godfather reference. Slant Magazine calls the acting stiff along with the Godfather reference.

American press: Fail

The Indian press got it, though, with nice reviews from all the usual suspects and a
bump in the box office collections on the second day. (Check out the Behind Woods review if you want an opinion other than mine - although I don't know why you would.)

One person less than impressed was
Imran's fiance who apparently disturbed film maker Rahul Rawail with her loud heckling at a showing.

“Yes, we were disturbed by Avantika and her mother. Every person buying a ticket has a right to an opinion. You can like or dislike the film. But wait till you leave the theatre to praise or rip it. Filmmakers go to a theatre to guage the audience’s reaction. Would they have liked it if I had made a ruckus while watching Kidnap?”

Check and mate.

And what about the players themselves?

Ajay Devgn is allegedly unhappy with
being sidelined in the promotions.

Katrina Kaif may have finally
proven herself to the haters! (I always knew she could do it!)

Read an interview with
Prakash Jha!

You talk very pragmatically about political equations; where's the idealism?

They are two entirely different things. You cannot win an election with idealism. If you want idealism, if you want to be a satyawadi (follower of the truth), you should not be in politics, you should be in an NGO.

My reason for contesting elections was primarily to get into a position where I would have access to resources for development — creating jobs, educational infrastructure and good healthcare. Which I am now doing, in my individual capacity, but on a smaller scale.


* The other big story - IIFA.

3 Idiots sweeps the IIFAs. Yawn. Like anybody was surprised by that. I'm so over 3 Idiots.

Zeenat Aman was
awarded an lifetime achievement award at IIFA, which was sweet.

Salman Khan is still
angry at Vivek Oberoi but the two are among the biggest names at IIFA so they keep running into each other.

The promo for
Knock Out, the Kangana Ranaut-Sanjay Dutt starrer was revealed.

7 comments:

larissa said...

The Godfather references with regard to Raajneeti aren't wrong. Prakash Jha and various cast members have gone on record saying it was one of the inspirations for the film.

eliza bennet said...

I really want to watch Rajneeti! Love Katrina and hope that she will gain even more popularity after it.


And Filmigirl, you were never into 3 Idiots no?

Filmi Girl said...

@larissa That may be true but the derisive tone in the American reviews made it seem like the reviewers thought it to be a Godfather knock-off, which I don't think is the case.

@eliza I hope you like it!!! And, yes, I was never into 3I - not my cup of tea.

Pessimisissimo said...

Is there anyone that Salman Khan isn't angry with?

redsarah said...

Come to that, is there anyone that Salman Khan doesn't think would benefit from his (actually unwanted) advice?

aham said...

Rajneeti and Godfather? it never reminded me when I was watching it until I read about American media mentioning it here, but it did remind me a hell lot about Mahabharata, the great Indian[read Hindu] epic,Ranbir=Arjun,Ajay=Karna,Nana=Krishna[somewhat] and so on, even Ajay and other characters have mentioned about Mahabharata as the base for the movie, but if American media thinks its Godfather then maybe they can write an article saying Godfather was inspired from Mahabharata.

redsarah said...

Sure, that'll happen. Just seen the trailer for "Knight & Day" (Cameron Diaz, Tom Cruise) and there is a motorbike chase that is strikingly like Dhoom2's. but will anyone cite it? I think not! Grrr.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl