Saturday, June 26, 2010

Filmi Girl's Guide to Summer Movies... South! (Part 1)

Well, I'm sure you've all realized that I've started watching more and more South Indian films. And with my local theater stepping up it's screenings of South Indian films, I figured it might be time to start keeping track of interesting looking upcoming films from down South!

(You can also read my take on this summer's
Hindi films.)

Okay, so I can't find anyplace that gives an accurate list of release dates but here are some for the near future!

TAMIL FILMS

Already released:

Raavanan - You can read my review(s) here.

Singam - Suriya's latest film has him playing a cop and there is some smuggling and typical masala goodness. It is supposed to be a COMPLETE ENTERTAINER!



Madharaspattinam (July 2nd - maybe!)

An epic period film featuring a cross-cultural romance but it's not
Veer! This 1940s-set film stars Arya and former Miss Teen World Amy Jackson as a couple of star-crossed lovers. I'm sure there will be plenty of speechifying about freedom and lots of lovely vintage 1940s clothes! And it has to be better than Veer, so period-film fans, get ready!



Naan Mahaan Alla (July 23rd - but who knows!)

Like I could resist something billed as an "family action entertainer"!! Karthi plays a middle-class Chennai man who is drawn into the seedy underworld and Kajal Aggarwal is a spirited but innocent girl who works for a mobile phone company and I'm assuming much dishoom and revenging will follow.



Endhiran (September 3rd - or at least it is for now)

At long last (if they don't push it back futher) comes
Endhiran! Rajini plays a double role of a scientist and a robot (or something) and the robot falls in love with Aishwarya Rai (who wouldn't?!) It looks super-fantastic!

I have some preview pictures from
Endhiran up in this post!



(Have a picture of Hansika since I couldn't find any good ones of the shooting...)

Ich (Still shooting!)

Prabhu Deva's film stars Jayam Ravi and Hansika Motwani and all I know about it is that they are filming in Paris right now but these things combined are enough to get me excited!



Uthama Puthiran (Also still shooting!)

Another remake of
Ready but this one doesn't star Salman Khan -it has Dhanush and Genelia D'Souza instead.




Kaavalkaaran (Sometime in the future!)

Vijay and Asin reunite for a remake of the super hit Malayam film
Bodyguard. Asin is going to be playing a college student and Vijay is her bodyguard. There will be plenty of mistaken identities, romance, and dishooming!

2 comments:

dayshaze said...

The poster for Endhiran reminds me of the Robin Williams flop Millennium Man. In it, Robin Williams, as a robot, falls in love with a human woman. I wonder if it's a remake?

Here's the poster.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/lY7rsm44Tq4/0.jpg

aham said...

Actually it sounds more like a remake of Kannada movie 'Hollywood' starring Upendra,if anybody wants to read the story/review sww the link below,but the review is of the movie dubbed in Telugu.

http://www.idlebrain.com/movie/archive/mr-hollywood.html

I hope thought its not the same movie.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl