Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dance, Vyjayanthimala, Dance!

I'm currently reading Vyjayanthimala's autobiography (titled "Bonding") and although I'm only a couple of chapters in, I can't recommend it enough! It's an engaging read and Vyjayanthimala and her family are certainly very interesting. I don't think I would have liked to cross her grandmother!

I'll have a proper review for you all when I'm done with it but reading about the old films had me looking up some videos, so I thought I would share the wealth with you!



This song is from her first Hindi film
Bahar - a remake of her debut Tamil film! It was a huge hit up North and opened up so many doors for her in Mumbai.



Here she is innocent as a lamb in
Aasha!



And from
Nagin! The lovely Vyjayanthimala has some choice words for Pradeep Kumar, BTW. And she is deathly afraid of snakes!



Vyjayanthimala loved Kishore Kumar and has some wonderful anecdotes about him! He was as silly as his "reel life" characters! She was quite proud of her "statue act" here because Kishore-da kept trying to make her laugh and she refused to break the stone face.

4 comments:

Amaluu said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Vyjayanthi. It's residue from my mom's hero-worship of her - she was her hugest fan and she made all of us watch her to get pointers on how to use abhinaya/expression for our Bharatanatyam training.

Where can one get a copy of her book? I want to buy one for my mom.

Filmi Girl said...

It's kind of expensive but really gossipy. :)

http://www.natarajbooks.com:8080/?o=pub/details&id=25065

http://www.indiaclub.com/shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=23362&Loc=SRCH

myrna-nora said...

Vyjayanthimala is one of my favorite actresses. Although, I've never been able to figure out how to pronounce her name.

Amaluu said...

Vyjayanthimala = Vy (rhymes with "Why")-Jun (rhymes with "gun")-thee-maa-laa.

Hope that helps!!!

Filmigirl - it IS expensive! But I will probably buy it anyway! Thanks for the note!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl