Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wednesday Gossip

Just two more days until the big release of KITES!! It's playing at select AMC theaters along with the usual Indian theaters, so do watch your local listings.

Okay! Time for the daily gossip report!

* I know we're all tired of hearing about
Kites but I thought this interview with Brett Ratner from New York Magazine was interesting. He basically compares Kites to all those Jackie Chan movies that came out in the 1990s.

So how did this remix project come about? And can you explain it a bit?

Sure. In the nineties, Miramax and New Line were releasing these Jackie Chan movies that I loved as Chinese movies with subtitles, and Americanizing them — taking a twenty-minute fight scene and cutting it down to five minutes, even though it was the best stuff. Recently, I met Rakesh Roshan, who happens to be a big Indian producer-director, at a dinner, and he mentioned they were showing a big Bollywood movie the next night, and I asked to see it. He asked what I thought and I said, “I loved it, it’s like five movies in one.” And so he asked me how I would cut it down, and I thought back to those Jackie Chan movies and rattled off about five things — getting American actors to dub some of the supporting characters, who are American characters anyway; cutting it to about 90 minutes; [changing] the music. So he asked, “Could you do that for us?” Then I got in there and thought, “Oh my God, these people are going to kill me.”


* Is Prateik Babbar the hero of
Khatta Meetha? I thought it was Akshay Kumar paired opposite Trisha...

* Ameesha Patel is turning into the kind of actress who only makes press when she
misbehaves.

* After the colossal failure of
Jail (people didn't want to see Neil Nitin Mukesh naked and masturbating for some reason), Madhur Bhandakar is doing a fun film - no cast has been confirmed. I guess he is still in the casting couch phase.

*
Raavan won't be seen at IIFA - this should be a contentious event. What on Earth possessed IIFA to chose Colombo as the host city? Didn't they realize all the fuss it would provoke? And if they did - why not get some of the Tamil stars involved early on in the process?

* Vivek, yaar, what are you thinking? He has allegedly insisted that Chitrangada Singh be replaced with Genelia D'Souza in a new film because Chitrangada looks
too old. She's 28; you're 33; Genelia is 22. I'm about to deliver a online smack on the head for this one if it's true.

* Namitha is playing a villain in
Ilaignan!

* Shammi Kapoor is launching his own
video blog! It is available at www.youtube.com/shammikapoor.

* Finally, read an editorial in defense of
masala films!

But why this hostility toward a cinema that has an unimaginably large fan-base across the globe? An industry with a mind-boggling investment-base of millions in technology and infrastructure? A cinema that in glitz and hype is probably second only to Hollywood? Most importantly, a cinema that frankly couldn’t give a damn about the existence of a movement that posed it no threat?

PICTURE TIME!



Once Upon A Time in Mumbai - I have been waiting for this film forever!



And a promotional picture of Bips in the ill-fated
Lamhaa, which should be coming in July.

2 comments:

ajnabi said...

I liked the Brett Ratner interview! Did you see the American cut or the Indian cut, Filmi Girl?

Daddy's said...

Ameesha's denial in the article was kinda awful - 'I only take him with me to hold my umbrella' ??? I will never understand why these people feel that just because they've acquired some fame, they can no longer carry their own bags or hold their own umbrellas. Ugh

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl