Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tuesday Gossip!! International Edition!

Hey, all! Sorry I missed yesterday's post - I had to catch an early bus back to Washington, DC so I could make a dentist appointment I had scheduled long before I knew I would be attending the Kites premiere.



(It wouldn't be a Bollywood premiere without Filmi Girl!)

So, technically I am not allowed to say ANYTHING about the film until it releases but what I will tell you is that I've already written my formal review for Bollyspice.com, who were the ones who arranged for me to go, and I will be working on my more Filmi Girl-style irreverent take on the film for my blog. Plus, I want to let you all in on the behind-the-scenes of my
Kites weekend, so stay tuned!

I already linked to my write-up of the Hrithik and Barbara press day but here is the one with director
Anurag Basu on Bollyspice.com!

Working with a superstar like Hrithik was much easier than Anurag had expected. He didn't need to change his style at all. "I was doing the same, [Hrithik] had to change, actually. I was the same person I was writing the same way. And last interview, Barbara complained about me, that I was messy, so I think I was the same person." He continues. "You know sometimes our Bollywood acting becomes little loud and over the top, so now to be very real and organic that's what we did in the film. When you're working with a superstar in a movie you see that superstar from the first frame to last frame, you don't see a character in it. But in this film, in 5 minutes you forget Hrithik Roshan and you start seeing the character and I think that is a good thing."

Anurag seems less than thrilled with the Brett Ratner edit but I'll elaborate more on that later.

But let's hit the gossip for today!

* Brett Ranter talks
international cinema.

"But, I this was worth it to me because now AMC is opening its theatres for this international films, which is amazing. It’s Bollywood now, but it’s going to be local Japanese movies. I just saw a Polish film and I called the director and said, "I’ve got to meet you."

And he elaborates on the
international version.

So how did he go about it? "No nothing was re-shot. I just cut the movie, and kept the story," he said. "For instance, there was a great dance sequence in the movie, but it didn't drive the story forward. So I lost it."

"I was very nervous about losing it. But Hrithik was on board. When they saw my version they loved it."


I'm going to go on record as saying that losing the dance is a mistake but I think his other edits will help the film appeal to a Western audience.

* And speaking of Hollywood directors, Mike Newell (
Prince of Persia) says this:

With Gemma, I was looking for a very particular thing. I seriously thought of going into Bollywood for that character. They’re staggering looking girls and some of them can act too! (Laughs!), and I didn’t expect to find her in this country.

Can we just unpack this for a second? Okay,
Prince of Persia - emphasis on the PERSIA - is a Hollywood movie based on a video game. The hero, a PERSIAN street urchin, is played by Whitey McWhiterton Jake Gyllenhaal and Mike Newell wanted to go Bollywood for the heroine because "some of them can act" but he went with a white British woman for the Persian princess? The white washing thing in this film grossed me out enough as it was - now I really don't want to see this movie.

* Ang Lee is in Mumbai, casting for
The Life of Pi.

* Mani Ratnam is going to be
honored at the Venice Film Festival! They will be screening Raavan and Raavanan, so we had better get plenty of Vikram on the red carpet!

* Speaking of Vikram, he loves
Aishwarya!

"I always felt Madhuri Dixit was the best dancer ever. But then I saw how Aishwarya held her own in Devdas. I thought it was fantastic. It was really nice to see her dance. I just forgot my own steps and kept staring. Every hero from the south wants to work with her at some point in his career...I got my opportunity finally."

* Katrina Kaif is
cavalier about her security. It must be hard to go from doing whatever one pleases to waiting for a security team to back up your every movement.

* Vipul Shah is having trouble
getting Aish and Akki back to finish some songs.

* Sarah Thompson, you may know her as Eve from
Angel, talks about Rajneeti.

Were you aware of Prakash Jha’s works before signing the film?

I wasn’t well-versed in Hindi films before Raajneeti came along. But when I found out I was going to meet Prakashji, I gave myself a crash course. Now I’m obsessed with Indian cinema, and of course, two of my favourite films are Apaharan and Gangaajal. As an American, I tend to be exposed to India through Rajasthan and the Taj Mahal. Prakashji’s films were fascinating in their willingness to show another side. And it’s that fearlessness that attracts me to any artiste.


PICTURE TIME!



I have no idea what this Kareena Kapoor ad for Sony Ericson is trying to convey. Pigtails? All green? What is going on here?



Katrina Kaif looks AMAZING on the cover of
Femina! I want to dive into that magazine cover.

And how about some pics of the
Raavan team in Cannes!





Stop trying to crop Vikram out of the pictures, photogs! Do I have to fly to France to whup you all upside the heads?



Aishwarya in her little black dress! If people are seriously calling her fat, then I have some more head-whupping to do.

THE DREAM TEAM!



Don't you love how Vikram looks all nice in his suit and Abhi looks like he borrowed Daddy's wardrobe from
Amar Akbar Anthony?



Although Daddy Bachchan likes to unzip the jacket dangerously low...

9 comments:

Anishok said...

Looking fly, Filmi girl! :D

Good catch on Abhi's wardrobe...I wanted to crop him out of those photocall pics.

ajnabi said...

Oh my gosh, too funny about the jacket!

Mike Newell comes across as a prize ass in that interview. Of course, Jake G.'s "British" accent is a major turn-off too. Who sounds that posh?

Christine Menefee said...

Love that photo of you in that fabulous dress! Glad to see you seem to have recovered from that cold and were totally up to the occasion.

Agree about Aish's "fat" look - she just seems healthy and in her prime to me, which is very good to the eyes and anyone in their right mind would appreciate that.

So many beautiful people! As for that dream team, now that's a kind of weird photo. Aish and Vikram look good together, they look like a couple because their clothes go together, and Abishek looks kind of tacked on (not to mention tacky in that outfit) and she's kind of holding onto him to keep him in the picture because otherwise he'd go flying off into another universe in that wardrobe (sorry, reading too much sci fi).

These people making pronouncements about Indian moviemaking, actors, etc., are irritating but the statements are piling up and maybe they can be compiled eventually (like those collections of Bushisms) and we'll laugh about it someday.

Never Mind!! said...

You look fabulous at the premiere.

Can someone please make Aishwarya and Abhishek understand that posing with another person means not clinging up to each other as if their life depended on it. But it is refreshing to see Vikram and Suhasini to stand on their ground and look like a million bucks despite the ugly PDA by the Bachchan Jrs.

honeycombveils said...

Aish, fat? Are you freakin' kiddin' me? What pathetic world are we living in. This is one gorgeous woman.
Abhi's wardrobe however... Obviously an homage to John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever". (His tux jacket is also ill fitting, being too tight under the arms. Don't these people check themselves out in the mirror?)

Bombay Talkies said...

So so so excited about Life of Pi! I remember reading an interview with Shah Rukh in Filmfare aaaaages ago where he was asked which books he wanted to see made into films, and Life of Pi was one that he mentioned. He was remarkable prescient in that interview...I'm pretty sure that all of the books he mentioned are now either films or being made into films. Maybe he needs to try his hand in the adaption business!

I'm not a huge fan of some of the off the mark comments about the industry (Mike Newell, cough) but at the same time it *does* thrill me to know that it's at least acknowledged by people working in other industries. He wasn't wrong, there are some GORGEOUS women to cast an eye over, and honestly he wasn't wrong with the "some of them can act, too" comment. It sounded pretty rude and tactless, I'll admit, but at the same time he has a point. As much as I adore most of the actors working in the various Indian film industries, it's very very apparent that looks are often more of a driving force in casting than any ability to act, especially in the early stages of some peoples' careers. Not that this isn't true of actors the world over, but the largest percentage of cringe-worthy performances I've seen have come from the Desh. (And some of the best.)

LOVE your dress--so classy and cute!

Bombay Talkies said...

Sigh, so many typos. Adaption = adaptation, remarkable = remarkably. I haven't had my coffee yet today.

-Melissa

Filmi Girl said...

@anishok Thank you, darling! I spent way too much money on my dress so I'm flashing it at EVERY opportunity!

@ajnabi That accent rivals Tom Cruise's in Far and Away for pure awfulness. Why make him British at all? It's not like they were going for realism in the film...

@Christine Hmm... a book of Hollywoodisms on Bollywood? I love it!

@Never Mind I'm glad it's not just me who was bothered by that - at least we didn't get a shot like the one of Gerard Butler with his hand up Jennifer Aniston's butt. *shudder*

@honeycombveils I know, right? He totally borrowed that jacket from his dad.

@bombaytalkies His comments about actresses could be true for ANY industry, which is why it annoys me. Sure, there are some vacant Bolly actresses but there are just as many vacant Hollywood ones, too. Why single out Bollywood?

eliza bennet said...

Filmigirl, you look fantastic! Great dress but more importantly it looks wonderful on you.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl