Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thursday Gossip!!

Kites has yet to take flight but there are a few shows tonight so Bollyspice.com has posted my review!

You can read it
here! 4 Stars!

So, what else have people been saying about
Kites?

The
Los Angeles Times has an article discussing the decision to release two versions of the film. It is dismissive towards Bollywood, as most Western publications are, but two things really concerned me.

[And warning before clicking on the link - the article gives away part of the ending.]

On Friday, India's Reliance Big Cinema will release the traditional cut of the romantic drama, a two-hour-plus movie filled with extended dance sequences, enough melodrama to fill a season of "Gossip Girl" and plenty of lingering close-ups of bare-chested star Hrithik Roshan (think a Hindi-speaking Fabio, with better hair).

First of all - there is only ONE dance sequence in the film and it is not 'extended' (whatever that means) and describing Hrithik as a 'Hindi-speaking Fabio' is wrong on every level. If anything, Hrithik is like a Hindi-speaking Matt Damon, who melts into his roles. 'Hindi-speaking Fabio' says to me that the author of this article (one Mr. John Horn) is intellectually lazy and unwilling to entertain the idea that a man can be sexually objectified by the camera AND an incredible actor at the same time.

And then there is this.

"The best part of the movie for me was the chemistry between the two leads, the love story," Ratner says. He cut down a subplot in which Roshan and Mori's characters were driven to marry other people for money, not love. "It didn't make them likable," he says.

More than anything, though, Ratner tried to give his cut some energy and a more even narrative tone, unlike the longer version, which swings from torture scenes to dance numbers without blinking an eye. "I want to introduce people to a genre of film they've never seen before," he says. "I tried to keep the movie the way it was, but just make it more accessible to Western audiences."


O RLY?

John Horn, we get it - you think dancing is stupid. But if you had seen the film you would know that there is only ONE dance number. Singular! And the tone switching is a staple of Bollywood, it's not a sign of shoddy film making.

And you, Brett Ratner... "it didn't make them likable"?! WTF?! That subplot forms the foundation of their relationship! They go from wanting material wealth to only wanting each other. It's the entire point of the film. What about it makes them 'unlikable'?!

Do I need to fly out to LA to deliver to smacks to the face?

Let's move on to things that make me happy...

* ...like Arshad Warsi and Kalki Koechlin starring in a film
together! It's been confirmed!

*And Imran Khan getting
khiladi lessons from Akshay Kumar!

* Shammi Kapoor talks about his
career!

Reminiscing the shooting of the song "Suku suku", he said: "I never took any choreographer. I was doing 'Suku Suku' (Junglee) with Helen. P.L. Raj was choreographing the number for Helen. I told Raj to tell me what her steps are and I will adjust accordingly. He didn't know what I was going to do.

* Shahrukh Khan will be at
IIFA!

* Shooting of
Tanu Weds Mannu was disrupted by locals.

* Salman Khan loves
Sonam.

* Anupam Kher is joining the cast of
Mausam.

* Poor Ajay Devgn can't catch a break! He's caught
smoking in public and Rajneeti is having yet MORE trouble - this time with the censor board.

* Dia Mirza is
quitting Bollywood and Ameesha Patel is entering Sandalwood.

* Pakistani pop idol Ali Zafat talks
about his new film!

Would you tell us more about your upcoming film and why you chose this particular role?

Tere bin Laden is a Bollywood movie that is a tongue — in — cheek comedy. It talks about an ambitious young news reporter, Ali, who is from Pakistan and desperate to migrate to the US in pursuit of the “American dream.” His repeated attempts to immigrate are shot down as his visa is always rejected. But, when things couldn’t look any worse, he comes across an Osama bin Laden look-alike. Ali then hatches a scheme to produce a fake bin Laden video and sells it to news channels as a breakthrough scoop! Unfortunately, there are serious ramifications as the White House gets involved and dispatches an overzealous secret agent on Ali’s trail. I did it because the idea was exciting and the script was hilarious and I love the genre of comedy. The role had a lot of margins to have fun.


Have some red carpet pictures!!



Hrithik and Barbara in London!



Hrithik, Barbara, and Susanne in New York City!



Mallika at Cannes!

11 comments:

ajnabi said...

FABIO?! Just... just... Fabio! I can't believe they would GO THERE.

Filmi Girl said...

@ajnabi I know, right?! WTF? He could not be any more dismissive of Bollywood if he tried. FABIO?! Do I need to send my op-ed on how romance is dismissed in the West to every single American press outlet?

Sonia said...

those comments are really outrageous! hope that John Horn will really get smacked.

layla-aaron said...

Argh! I'm appalled at that comment about Hrithik. He's not even remotely like Fabio. He's more than a pretty face and a nice body; he's got a brain and talent. I'd like to see Fabio attempt to dance like Hrithik does. :(

Poor Ajay! :(

Shell said...

Yes, the idea that Fabio in ANY way resembles Hrithik is completely laughable. Also, could John Horn pick a worse person to compare to. Fabio, for me, serves only as a satirical symbol of romance. Ugh.

In other news, my heart leapt for joy when I read the Shah Rukh at IIFA bit, until I realized that it was representing this year's awards. He need to come to Toronto for next year's event, because I am going to be there. Sigh.

Also, can I say how excited I am about Shaitan! Arshad as a rugged cop. *wipes drool* Too bad about Dia possibly leaving film. I really liked her in HTAG.

Filmi Girl said...

@sonia I'm really thinking about writing a letter to the editor about it.

@Layla-aaron I KNOW, RIGHT?! Fabio? It's so insulting!

@Shell That news about Shaitan is so good!! I can't wait!

ajnabi said...

I left a comment on the article's page, but a letter to the editor would probably be way more effective.

Bombay Talkies said...

You *absolutely* should write a letter to the editor. That Fabio remark has me seeing red. I really have a problem with critics reviewing films they know nothing about--having him review "Kites" would be like me reviewing, say, "Seven Samurai." I'm simply not equipped.

Dia as a real estate mogul? All the best, as they say.

-Melissa

Filmi Girl said...

@ajnabi I'm totally writing a letter to the editor - I hate when American press covers stuff like this as a joke. Either cover it seriously or not at all.

@Bombay Talkies I'm on it! :D

memsaabstory said...

I'm with you on the American press angle (so tired of it, do your homework and take it seriously or don't bother, as you say).

And the global crossover angle is just dumb. But the film is so much fun!!! I was so pleasantly surprised by Hrithik, by the story...I loved it. I put my review up today too ;)

dishoomdishoom said...

Hey had been M.I.A. for the longest, but yeah thou shalt bitchslappeth this Horn!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl