Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday Gossip!

Good morning, lovelies! It's a grey and rainy day here in Washington, DC - and if I'm a good girl, I might treat myself to seeing Iron Man 2! I've been dying to see it but hadn't had a chance.

So, let's hit the gossip!

*
IBOS says Kites is going to flop.

* Aish and Abhi are
skipping IIFA - but how can the Bachchan Family Awards Show happen without the Bachchan family?! Is it because Aishwarya didn't have any films released last year?

*
India Today runs down Cannes fashion.

As for Deepika's debut appearance on the Cannes red carpet, the questions will not stop. Was she playing it safe by wearing the saree, as it means being seen as patriotic and getting a nod of approval back home? Or was she being brave by wearing a "national dress" and defying the diktats of the international red carpet, where the unspoken rule is that you wear a gown?

* Comedian Vir Das talks about
Delhi Belly and working with Aamir and Imran Khan.

"I can't talk about my role. But I play a character diametrically opposite to the one in Badmaash Company. Imran and I became good friends during Delhi Belly. We're both comedy fans... and had an insane amount of fun doing this film. We all knew we'd never have an experience like this again."

He also mentions that some of his fans think that he's sold out by going Bollywood.

* Anil Kapoor pops up from the
Hollywood haze he's been stuck in.

“Awards” — Anil does not mince words — “aren't taken seriously by the film fraternity any more. Yet actors attend award functions either because they don't want to be spoilsports, or they want to keep pace with the changing times, or for the sake of solidarity and friendship. Now most of us understand that money issues are involved. So ‘they' have to bow to certain money houses. There is still some disillusionment among us about awards.”

* Read about trend-setter
Zeenat Aman!

There is an interesting story behind the SSS poster girl. Bollywood’s know-alls will tell you that Raj Kapoor had planned to make the film with Lata Mangeshkar. Her magical voice would have made it an inspired bit of casting. But RK eventually turned to Zeenat to live out his long-cherished dream on celluloid.

And as painter-photographer JP Singhal had pointed to me, back in 1999, “Raj saab focused so much on Zeenat’s curves that eventually
Satyam Shivam Sundaram turned out to be all body and no soul, and all that remained in the audiences’ mind was the image of Zeenat Aman wearing skimpy outfits”.


* Shahrukh Khan is narrating
I Hate Luv Storys!

*
Bollywood studios try their hand at regional films, since nobody except Sajid Khan can come up with a hit these days...

Filmmaker Subhash Ghai attributes the wave in regional cinema to the multiplex culture. “The Hindi mainstream cinema is catering to multiplexes in big towns and metros. It is expensive and the subjects mostly revolve around city life, which they can’t relate to. To the local audience, watching a big Hindi film is as alien as watching a Hollywood movie. Hence, they are returning to their own language for entertainment,” he explains.

I Hate Luv Storys Trailer!



Is it me or does Sonam Kapoor have a case of dead-eye/lazy delivery syndrome...?

Refresh your memories of
Lamhaa!



Kunal Kapoor fans, sit up and take notice! This is actually looking pretty good...

3 comments:

Sonia said...

It's such a dilemma.... I guess Sonam will continue to disappoint me. (She can't even make me excited enough to go see the movie for her). But I love Imran......

lvrplfc4l said...

Is it just me or did the bridge at 1:35 in the first look-I Hate Luv Storys look like an outtake from Saawariya.

Your right Lamhaa does look like it's going to be interesting.

layla-aaron said...

Thanks for the heads up on Lamhaa. That looks interesting. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl