Saturday, May 1, 2010

Saturday Gossip!

Why, hello, darlings! Did you go and see Housefull? I hope you did! I thought it was (mostly) hilarious and certainly more amusing than anything pouring out from Hollywood right now.

So, let's chat! Gossip time!

* Arjun "Hot Dad" Rampal
talks Housefull.

I guess it was also the Sajid effect, right? One hears that he involved everyone to be together all the time both on and off the sets.

He is someone whose heart is in the right place. He has a lot of conviction in what he wants. He is very clear. In fact Deepika and I were the only people who hadn't worked with him before as he has practically got the entire Heyy Babyy team together. Initially I was like a newcomer on his sets, but neither he nor Akshay and Riteish made me feel like one.


* Have I mentioned enough about how much I like Sajid Khan's
interviews? The man gives good quote.

“That’s because I don’t direct movies for myself. I do it for those audiences who come to watch a movie and buy tickets from their hard earned money. For them, it has to be money well spent when they see my film. I know that there are 10 per cent pseudo intellectual people who like slow, boring, insignificant and non-entertaining films. But then for me, cinema is only about entertainment. It could be in any form, whether action, comedy, thriller or drama."

You and me both, bro.

* My favorite song from
Housefull - the remix of "Apni Toh Jaise Taise" is not in the clear yet.

Nadiadwala's counsel had earlier stated that they had bought the rights from music company Saregama India Ltd, which claimed to have the rights to the Laawaris songs. Mehra's sons Punit and Amit, who had filed a suit before the court claiming that the right to the lyrics remained with them since their father wrote the song, are in a jubilant mood. Amit says, "What was done was unethical. We are very upset about it. That is why we filed a legal complaint. In fact, we gave Saregama and Nadiadwala a lot of time to settle this matter. When we wrote to them expressing our displeasure, neither of the two parties bothered to reply. However, we are now breathing free as justice has come at the right time."

* Shahid Kapoor talks up next week's big release...
Badmaash Company in the traditional clueless yet praise-filled manner.

Which means that you haven't played a role like Badmaash?

Yes. I haven't played a role like this before, of a scammer and of a con artist. It's a genre that I really get excited about. Con films are rarely seen in Bollywood. I think films like
Bunty Aur Babli was restricted in its conning. It was more of a small time con guys. Badmaash Company is a lot more believable.


Pardon me a moment while I finish giggling. Is he talking about the kind of "rarely seen" that means "seen all the time" because from
Sree 420 to 99, con artist films are made all the time. Not to mention that if Badmaash Company is in any way, shape, or form "believable" then I will eat my hat. Well, I don't really own a hat, so, first I will buy a hat and then I will eat it because judging by the trailer and the song promos, Badmaash Company is going to be a delightfully cheesetastic romp.

* The
TOI runs down some lost films of yesteryear.

But east is not west and the road to preserve history took a different course over the next 100 years. The first films shot by Lumiere Brothers are still available for aficionados to watch, while each one of the 25 films made by Hiralal Sen have been lost forever. “Sen was not alone,” says Suresh Chabria, professor of film appreciation at FTTI, Pune. “Most of his contemporaries were destined for a similar fate. Of the 1,250 films made in India during the silent era, only about 25 could be preserved,” he adds. “There might be some prints available with private collectors in foreign countries, especially Algeria, which was a big market for Indian silent movies,” says film historian Firoze Rangoonwalla.

* Sonam Kapoor's role in
Thank You seems to have been cut and she - or her PR people - are blaming Akshay. I think she should look at her own past performances for reasons that her role might be cut...

* Sonam's erstwhile
I Hate Luv Storys co-star Imran Khan has issues of his own - his gay sex symbol status. Please check out the picture at the link and tell me that saucy over the shoulder look isn't hilarious!

Asked about the requests for autographed pictures, Imran shrugged, “Yes, I have been asked to sign a lot of pictures. I think they could be for the gay community, but I didn’t get into the details. The marketing department asked me to sign, so I signed.”

* Remember that remake of
Bomarrillu starring Harman Baweja that we all wanted?! Nope, me neither, but apparently there is one and Harman couldn't be bothered to give dates to Boney Kapoor so now the film will come after the release of Milenge Milenge and will probably sink out of sight pretty darn fast.

* With Vikram making waves, everybody is talking about
Southern heroes in Bollywood!

On a more flippant note, however, some keen watchers of the north-south interface lay the blame squarely on the southern penchant for moustaches; not shared in north India, they point out, which has more often preferred its heroes without facial hair.

Truer words have never been spoken. Anil Kapoor is the exception, not the rule. Remember when he didn't have a moustache in
Lamhe? That was so freaky!

* Deepika pretends that wearing a bikini was
no big deal.

"When you are shooting on a beach in Italy, you have to look sexy. However, the highlight of the film is not the bikini here. I remember people making a big deal about Priyanka (Chopra) wearing a swimsuit in Dostana but we know that the film was a lot more than that."

Right, Deepika. Whatever you say...

PICTURE TIME!

Housefull press conference! Lara Dutta was MIA and Ritiesh appeared to be hiding something in his voluminous hairdo but Akshay, Arjun, and Jiah were looking lovely!



How does Deepika always dress in these cloth sacks? Remember her outfits for the premieres of
Chandni Chowk to China? Her styling in Housefull was actually really cute, though - Abercrombie preppie belted shorts and soft tops.



I don't know why I love him so much... something about being the perennial underdog, I think.



We all know why we love Arjun Rampal! I have a new respect for him post-
Rock On!!, though and he was really quite funny in Housefull. He actually got more cheers from the audience than either Deepika or Akshay!



I think I found another starlet to champion in Jiah Khan. I really, really liked her performance in
Housefull although I think I was the only one. She really seemed much more alive than either Deepika or Lara, who both suffer from 'dead eyes.'

If she can't play heroines for backstage politics reasons, lets get her in doing the kind of stuff Padma Khanna used to do or send her South where they appreciate a good vamp.

2 comments:

ajnabi said...

Haha! You know, I remember what a culture shock (of a sort) it was when I watched Bommarillu and all the guys had facial hair. After all those Hindi film heroes it was really weird! (Not that I didn't recover quickly. After all, my husband's got a goatee.)

Jiah could be good, I think. I just hope she steers clear of the body exposure photo shoots for a while.

Liz C said...

Unrelated to any of today's gossip: have you seen any of the promos of the Tamil movie Irumbu Kottai Murattu Singam (Telugu: Super Cowboy):
http://tinyurl.com/2g33mc6
http://tinyurl.com/23jnq8f

I feel that this could reach Magadheera levels of epicness.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl