Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday Gossip - 500th Post Edition!

Yes, it's my 500th post on this blog! I feel like confetti should come streaming from the ceiling or something. Anyways, I'll take this opportunity to bid a fond farewell to one of my favorite thinkers of the last 100 years - Martin Gardner, who passed away this past weekend. He was a mathematician, author, and lover of logic. He edited the giant Annotated Alice in Wonderland and wrote many books puncturing the arguments of pseudoscientists and creationists.

Scientific American republished a nice tribute in honor of his life.

"If the present trend continues," Gardner concludes, "we can expect a wide variety of these men, with theories yet unimaginable, to put in their appearance in the years immediately ahead. They will write impressive books, give inspiring lectures, organize exciting cults. They may achieve a following of one—or one million. In any case, it will be well for ourselves and for society if we are on our guard against them." So we still are, Martin. That is what skeptics do, and in tribute for all you have done, we shall continue to honor your founding command.

But moving on to topics a heck of a lot sillier...

* ... like a
review of Bipasha Basu's workout DVD! I kind of want this... not that I'm under any illusion that I'll look like Bipasha after using it.

* Imran Khan wants to make clear that
I Hate Luv Storys is being made in the spirit of fun.

"The story itself belongs to the kind that we always make. It is not a great original screenplay but the idea is to pick the same story and make it into something which is very interesting. The film itself is a classic romcom which has all the ingredients that we like in a romcom," said Imran.

Do you know what he does hate?
The spelling of the title.

Why the weird spelling for the title?
I tried... I tried hard... I tried my best to have it changed...

It doesn't have anything to do with the script?

NO! I don't know, maybe it's a number thing, I don't know why exactly. I've begged Karan ever since the day he told me the story. I even tried to convince him to put the 'luv storys' part in quotes. I hate 'luv storys', so its like you are making fun of love story or something like that.

Bro, of COURSE it's a number thing!

I'll tell you a (funny?) story - my sister works for a TV station that specializes in international content. They have things like the news in Russian and Korean dramas and Swedish mysteries. They also have a program that my sister refers to as the 'Bollywood Access Hollywood.'

So, a couple of months ago, they had on a numerologist who was predicting the future of each of the Filmfare Award Winners. He appeared in front of a background of numbers and my sister thought this was the most hilarious thing she had ever seen.

She then asks me what the deal is with the numerologist and I had to explain to her that numerology is SERIOUS BUSINESS in Bollywood and actors regularly change their names to reflect 'luckier' spellings and film titles must all be carefully run past the numerologists - which leads to things like KRAZZY 4 and I HATE LUV STORYS.

True story.

* Eros International has backed out of Agent Vinod - the people have spoken: Nobody wants the Saifeena pairing on screen.

* Maybe it would help if it was
Agent Vidya starring Bebo - since lady-centric films are the new thing (apparently).

Mani Ratnam's much awaited film Raavan stars two men - Abhishek Bachchan and southern star Vikram. But it is Aishwarya Rai who is being described by her co-stars as the "hero" of the film.

"Aishwarya is the hero in
Raavan," said Abhishek. Vikram too had the same words for the former Miss World.

* And as for Mr. Female-Centered film... there is to be no
Chandni Bar sequel - a rumor so silly that I didn't even bother posting it.

"I don't have any time for that. I am busy with Dil to Bachcha Hai Ji and then Heroine, something which I have always maintained. Also, I don't believe in sequels and if at all I attempt one then I would make a thorough announcement. I think I have enough new subjects in mind to be explored. Let me exhaust them first", continues Bhandarkar while still sounding disturbed by the entire state of affairs.

Madhur Bhandarkar probably didn't need to get mad about it, though. I don't think anybody actually believed the rumor.

* And Agent Vidya Balan herself is starring in
Nana Patekar's directorial debut.

* Hrithik Roshan is kind of pissed at the
Indian response to Kites.

“Yes, LA Times, New York Times, Hollywood Reporter, everyone has said good things about the film, and God, our country is putting it down. For what agenda?” he asks.

The LA Times review was superb, by the by - very nice bit of writing.

* Rakesh Roshan is
gracious about the Indian critics' negative reviews of Kites.

* Katrina Kaif is gracious about
gossip - thank you, darling! The interview is pretty funny; I bet Katrina is a ton of fun to sit around and gossip with!

How did it happen?

I was doing a lot of ads and was always a bigger size than most models. If most models are a UK size eight, I was always a UK size 10 or 12. In South India, they really liked that. (Laughs) I was wearing a tight dress and I was around a size 12, and it became a point of discussion because I looked really curvy. So I got lots of calls. They offered me the highest amount ever paid to any Hindi actor, and I hadn’t even done a Hindi film till then.


* Lovely Kat was also
baffled when she was offered the script for Rajneeti. She thought Prakash Jha had sent it to the wrong address!

* Ajay Devgn is also
baffled at Rajneeti - well, the promotions for Rajneeti, anyways.

Says a source close to Ajay, "Raajneeti is a powerful political dramatic thriller where the entire cast has good roles. But the actor feels the director has been only showing the romantic angle between Ranbir and Katrina to exploit the couple's chemistry and off-screen dosti."

Ajay, let me take this opportunity to assure you that there is a wide section of the audience who is looking forward to watching you be intense and (hopefully) extremely macho in
Rajneeti.

* And Arshad Warsi is going to feature in an episode of
Globe Trekker!! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for when it airs.

Here is gorgeous Sophie Chaudhary on the cover of
The Man!! If anyone comes across scans of her photoshoot inside, let me know!



Enjoy the making-of "Fire" from
Kites!! For those of us who can never get enough Kangana Ranaut!


14 comments:

ajnabi said...

That Imran interview made me laugh. I love knowing that he hates the title too.

It looks like Saifeena's about as marketable as Tom & Nicole back in the day.

ajnabi said...

Oh, yeah, and Happy 500th Post! **throws marigold petals, blows conch horn, etc.**

eliza bennet said...

Congratulations Filmigirl!

Sonia said...

Congratulations!!! Thanks for the interview of Katrina! Love it!

layla-aaron said...

Yay for Arshad!!! I will have to DVR that when it airs. :)

Awww, poor Ajay. I know who I'll be watching it for. Rest assured, there are many of us who cannot wait to see you do that voodoo that you do so well. :D

layla-aaron said...

D'oh!!! And congrats on 500 posts. :D

MsBlogger said...

Congratulations! I love reading your gossip posts and hope you keep doing them for many years to come!

It's quite interesting that Imran is actually pulling down the title of the film seen as that's quite a daring step and he could really gain a bad reputation of publicly critisizing his own films within the industry.

Even though I do like (only like) Katrina, I thought it was a little boastful of her to say she was paid more than any Hindi actress ever...

Christine Menefee said...

Congratulations on reaching 500 :-)
I look forward to many more. Your blog is a sheer delight, even when I disagree with you!

honeycombveils said...

Congrats on your 500th post! I love your blog.

(Joins ajnabi in petal throwing - with fuschia rose petals)

indiequill said...

Congratulations FG! And omg, I am so excited for both Raavan and Rajneeti!

Shell said...

500 posts! Wow! You inspire and awe me always!

Can't wait for Arshad's Globe Trekker! It sure sounded like he was having a fun time with Ian when they were together.

Too bad for Saif about Agent Vinod. Personally I would rather see the female counterpart with Bebo.

Here's to another 500! *raises glass*

Filmi Girl said...

Thanks everyone!!

And I am excited for soooo many films this year! I haven't really been too disappointed by 2010 so far - yes, even Housefull was entertaining - so the rest should shape up nicely!

bollywooddeewana said...

I'm a bit late but still Congratulations on your 500th post i always thought i was a bollywood deewana (bollywood crazy) but you put my name to shame, i still don't know how you do this every single day

All the best

Filmi Girl said...

@bollywooddeewana It's never too late! :)

The secret is getting up extra early... and just steely-eyed determination.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl