Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tweet, Twot, Twit - Bollywood Twitter!

Perhaps you follow me on Twitter - I've grown very attached to the social networking site and love checking in with what everyone is doing all day long. It makes me feel a bit connected to people all over the world, even as I sit in my basement office in Washington, DC.

And while not every Bollywood celebrity has jumped on the Twitter bandwagon, it certainly feels like most of them have. Veracious over at
...So They Dance has done some entertaining posts snarking some of the more clueless Bollywood celebrity tweets but I thought I would look at Bollywood twitter a little differently today.

The thing about Twitter is that you can use it in a variety of ways - some people just post the occasionally proclamation or news story. @akshaykumar does this, tweeting things like links to his new commercial.

Clarity beyond clearity... http://bit.ly/bqaBo0
And then there are celebrities like Hrithik Roshan - @iHrithik - who makes proclamations a bit more personal in style but still using Twitter mostly as a platform for TELLING people things.

the pain is worth it in d end if u just don't give up!Why stop at 100% when u can give 200%! 1 life,1 chance 2 find out what ur truly worth!

@ajaydevgn is another like this - sometimes these guys will do organized Q&As where they will answer fan questions but it's all very straightforward and I appreciate that. If you don't want your private life all up in the media, don't give them anything to work with, if you can help it. Keep it focused on business.

But then there are the celebrities who just let it all hang out - and I can appreciate that, too. The danger, though, is that a fan might find that she likes certain people much, much less when she finds out more about them.

Maybe they make pretentious references to Star Wars and basically act like they invented the Internet - @udaychopra

My technobabble for today... DISCLAIMER- dont read if you are easily offended by technology. iPhone 4.0 is gonna (cont)http://tl.gd/mp3ha
- or announce that they find the writings of batshit insane and sociopathic Ayn Rand meaningful like Dia Mirza - @deespeak

@faisalhamza I love Ayn Rand! Have her lectures on my ipod :-)


Or think rape jokes are hilarious and Nickelback is quality music - @juniorbachchan - who also enjoys playing with his Twitter followers like they are Sims. I think from all the Bollywood celebrities, I found that the more I read his overly entitled and inane tweets, my opinion of him, which had been fairly neutral, sank into the ground.

That is the danger of letting it all hang out.

So, who do I love on Twitter? Let me tell you it!

@arshadwarsi2010 You knew that one already, right? Arshad Warsi tweets a mixture of loopy nuggets of wisdom, updates on his shooting schedules, delicious lunches, adorable kids, and the occasional flirty response to beautiful ladies. He comes across as a real genuine guy in a sea of entitled star sons and I really appreciate that. And his twitpics of him salsa dancing with Shipla Shetty.

GYAAAN- love make the world go round, bull shit, alcohol does n twice as fast... Ha ha ha .. Jai ho
@vivek_oberi Another class Twitter act, Vivek Oberoi banters with fans, twitpics his exotic locations, charity work, and tells hilarious stories about his adventures - all in 140 characters or less. I am going to admit here that while I never had
negative feelings about Vivek, I wasn't a huge fan until I started following him on Twitter and got a sense of what a genuinely nice person he is.

Man I loooove this place!!! Met so many sweet fans, so much love for me and my films here! Met these really cute (cont)http://tl.gd/tnsl1
@kjohar25 Karan Johar is exactly as bitchy and hilarious as you might expect. And I love his updates on parties, gossipy hints at things, and just his general Karan Johar-ness.

Every time I hear "they say"...I wonder who the exclusive "they" are...a hidden body of people spreading unnecessary wisdom!!
Honorable mentions go to @actor_siddharth for his always entertaining IPL live tweets, @shahidkapoor for his stream of consciousness ramblings, @riyasen24 for her adorable chocolate pastry updates, and @kalkikanmani for liking Doctor Who.

So, who are your favorites? I know there are some @iamsrk fans out there - I had to unfollow him because my feed was getting overly clogged with some epic #srkangels sessions - but I'm curious to hear what everyone has to say about Twitter. As a promotional tool, I don't know if it's all that great for individual films but as a personal PR tool for celebrities, I think if you use it right, then it can become a powerful tool for controlling your public image yourself.

16 comments:

Sreejit a.ka. Victor said...

I personally like Hrithik, always have and although he tweets rarely, he does make an honest effort to match up to his image and is rarely politically incorrect. Also he has commendably provided fitness tips n tried his hand at inspiring with meaningful tweets , unlike a certain @shahidkapoor, whose gibberish takes a decade to decipher. On a side note , people I have started liking for
a) vivek- sincerity n likeability
b) iamsrk: provides quick comebacks to his detractors
c)juniorb: seems to be a fun guy, also, the fact that he tweets interesting #nowplaying( willing 2 forgive his nickelback inclination on account of a few of his metallica tweets)
d)beingsalmankhan: a recent addition, although takes to twitter like a caveman who has jus discovered fire, he tweets from the heart, and forgiving his massive punctuation blunders, his text is very tongue-in-cheek and kinda big-brother-ish!
Cheers.

ajnabi said...

I like @juniorbachchan for the most part, but the rape joke was pretty awful. :-( At least he deleted it when Christy called him on it. Rahul Khanna, of course, because he doesn't clog up my timestream with inanities but what he does tweet is usually witty and fun. I like Preity because she's so relentlessly, publicly positive (and I don't mind the dimple comments, I think they're cute). Shahid I follow because I have to as a bona fide fangirl, but honestly I never read what he says unless someone else comments on it or there's a promo link to his newest stuff. I can't handle that much textspeak, although I don't mind it in smaller doses.

Pritish Nandy is fun and funny and grumpy-old-man-ish, which I like. I unfollowed Riteish Deshmukh, although I love his work, because I couldn't stand how much he sucked up in public. 1mrankhan is kind of unique because he tweets like an American--which he is, of course. And I thought it was hilarious when he got catty with Deeps.

Filmi Girl said...

@sreejit I can't believe I forgot Salman! I love his tweets - another genuine guy!

And I can't forgive Nickelback - nope. ;D

@ajnabi I just hate how spoiled the Junior B is. He just strikes me as somebody who not only never had to work for anything in his life but is not really grateful for everything he has now. He's just a spoiled, rich, overgrown kid with a dubious sense of humor.

I still follow Riteish for his twitpics but I don't really read what he talks about... :D And Imran... I unfollowed him because I found him boring. I prefer Kunal Nayyar for my American Bro tweets. :D

Sreejit a.ka. Victor said...

@filmigirl :I find a few trademark celeb tweets: Preity : Ting, dimple flashing, n Farhan Akhtar always signs out with peace out. ; Keep it real stings my eyes whenever I read it :P
offtopic, I simply wanted to day I recently stumbled upon your blog and twitter profile and find your take on bollywood really interesting.! Keep the good work up!! :)) Also, u post at bollyspice.com if I am not mistaken?

Filmi Girl said...

@sreejit Hee hee! Those are pretty good - :D

And thank you for reading! I do write for Bollyspice.com, too. Although I try to be much more objective over there than I am here - where I can write whatever I want... *evil laugh*

honeycombveils said...

No one is wittier than Rahul Khanna, the guy really should have a talk show of his own..
At first I also thought that Junior B's tweets were kinda fun but he's grown very tiresome. His taste in music aside, I find his tweets exhausting rather than entertaining.

Anita said...

Hahaha sorry about the spamming of @iamsrk by #SRKAngels. XD My sister has to periodically unfollow him too, lmao.

I really really like @kunalkkapoor. He replies often and will actually have conversations with you! Also, he not only replies me, he replied to my mom too, awwww! <3

serafina_felix said...

What is it with Bollywood and Ayn Rand? She keeps popping up - from Ram Gopal Varma, which I can sort of understand, to 1990s interviews with Anil Kapoor to starlets all over the place.

lvrplfc4l said...

I read an review of Guru titled Is it the Indian version of Atlas Shrugged. There are also a number of post by Indian writers on why they admire Rand.
"In my opinion, the main reason for this is that the Indian people who read her actually understand the truth of her arguments, for the most part. Because Indians live in the collectivist, pseudo-statist, tradition-bound, mystic society that India is, the readers grasp the validity of Rand’s ferocious criticisms of these states and agree with her description of life under these conditions."
This quote is an example of what is out there.

maeve66 said...

This is the best analysis of twitter celebrity stuff I've seen, because it has all mystified me. I tried following Stephen Fry, because he's funny, but oh my god, the volume of tweets....

Sad about juniorb... though believable.

I am watching Dhoom 2 RIGHT THIS SECOND on instant watch, and the opening item number would be worth any price of admission. Good god, can he dance. I did not know that.

Okay, and also I am a Kunal Kapoor fangirl, so I might have to check that Twitter feed out... sigh.

maeve66 said...

Oh, and PS -- yeah... I was fascinated by Guru because of its absolutely bizarre politics -- that unfettered capitalism (and POLYESTER) could be the savior of India, and a Randian slant makes that all make sense. Hideous, horrible sense.

Filmi Girl said...

Re: Ayn Rand - now I'm inspired to write something up on Ayn Rand and contemporary Bollywood. I hadn't noticed her popping up but I'm going to do some intensive article searching and see what I can come up with.

@lvrplfc4l I have a friend who grew up in the Soviet Union and she has some interesting things to say about any forms of social welfare... Maybe you have to have lived in the Objectivist paradise of the USA to know how ridiculous her philosophies are.

ajnabi said...

In almost every interview I've read wherein a Bollywood celeb is asked for their favorite authors, Ayn Rand is mentioned. It's either a fashion or an Indian "thing," I think. Either way, I read her in college and think she's a dreadful elitist masquerading as an advocate for reaching one's true potential. (Anne McCaffrey, I think, was heavily influenced by her. Just a theory, but if you read her books her protagonists remind me very much of Ayn Rand's.)

lvrplfc4l said...

@filmigirl my thought is their argument would be just the opposite of yours unless you grew up in the collectivist, Pseudo-statist society of India you wouldn't understand how valid they are.
Maybe she is popular in Bollywood because she started out as a screenwriter.
While I have issues with Objectivism as a whole there are parts of Rand's philosophical ramblings I find interesting and I can see how someone who views them from a collectivist view point would find them captivating. I just wish her writing wasn't so, well boring. When I can't sleep I pull out Atlas Shrugged and minutes later I'm out so much better then Ambien.

lvrplfc4l said...

@filmigirl my thought is their argument would be just the opposite of yours unless you grew up in the collectivist, Pseudo-statist society of India you wouldn't understand how valid they are.
Maybe she is popular in Bollywood because she started out as a screenwriter.
While I have issues with Objectivism as a whole there are parts of Rand's philosophical ramblings I find interesting and I can see how someone who views them from a collectivist view point would find them captivating. I just wish her writing wasn't so, well boring. When I can't sleep I pull out Atlas Shrugged and minutes later I'm out so much better then Ambien.

Shell said...

Aaw, I'm sorry we clogged your timeline, but us angels are incorrigible! Too bad because his tweets are always so good.

You already know how I feel about Arshad, but really, his tweets have been great! A fantastic combo of what makes tweeting so much fun.

Also, have you noticed that lately Shahid's actually been typing in complete readable sentences? Wonder if all the critisism got to him.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl