Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday Gossip...!

Good morning, everyone!

For your reading pleasure today... GOSSIP!

* Somebody finally addresses one of the biggest complaints I've had with films in recent years -
song montages - but not in the way I'd like.

“It’s to do with the kind of films that are being made,” says director Kunal Deshmukh, whose two films Jannat and Tum Mile both had hit songs that were not lip-synced by the stars. “The new filmmakers have a new sensibility, and they find the concept of the star singing a song on screen a little outdated.”

There have always been non-lip-synced songs, it just now there is this huge tide of them even in situations where the Bollywood film narrative CALLS for them. And it's that last part that is the most frustrating to me - filmmakers are messing with the natural flow of the Bollywood film in favor of some imagined "realism." Note to the so-called new filmmakers: montages are no more realistic than lip-synced songs. When was the last time you fell in love with somebody in 5 minutes set to the latest SEL tune? Never, right?

Unless you are going
Dogme 95 - a school of filmmaking that I am quite fond of, by the way - I don't want to hear a single word about 'realism' from anyone.

* This is the kind of thing I much prefer to read about - Sajid Khan feels compelled to explain that
Housefull is NOT based on real-life incidents.

* Stop picking on
Ranbir's glasses! I think he looks cute - plus, glasses are totally hot.

* Bebo might be on a strict diet but that doesn't mean she won't
feed a fan on huger strike.

* And I'm not the only one excited at seeing Vivek's success for
Prince - his parents are thrilled, too!

Says Vivek:
"We saw the trial together and then I went up to my dad (Suresh Oberoi). I was a bit nervous because he is my biggest critic and I have a huge respect for him, not just as a father but as an actor too. He hugged me, kissed my forehead and said 'I am so proud of you. Well done.'"

It makes me even happier to see him proud of the fact that
Prince was aiming for Dhoom 2 levels of entertainment.

"[A]t heart Prince is an absolute Bollywood style entertainer which qualifies for being a paisa vasool film!

Director Kookie V Gulati was in on it, too - he wanted to bring back the
villain!

“The characterisation of the villain was extremely crucial for the movie. Prince is a smart thief, and we needed an equally strong character to stand up against him. Saarang is a typical white collar criminal, with the charm and poise alike the various popular villains we have seen in Indian cinema."

See, here is the thing -
Prince was not a "good" film, per se, but I am thrilled with the success it's having for reasons that it seems to me that I need to type out in a separate post. So... stay tuned, I guess.

* Read about
promotional gimmicks!

It would however, be wrong to surmise that all film controversies are the creation of devious minds. Some just happen unintentionally. Shekhar Kapur did not get Arundhati Roy to raise a stink (remember, The Indian Rape Trick?) over Bandit Queen, thereby prompting Phoolan Devi to extract her pound of flesh. Amrit Nahata did not get Sanjay Gandhi to destroy the master prints of Kissa Kursi Ka during the Emergency. Likewise, Gulzar did not expect Indira Gandhi to go hammer and tongs after Aandhi and eventually ban the film. Other well known victims of controversies include Deepa Mehta (Fire and Water), Karan Razdan (Girlfriend), Kunal Kohli (Fanaa) and Rahul Dholakia (Parzania).

4 comments:

San said...

i think sajid probably just wants to get in on the media coverage over sania and sohaib .. ha!

I think i may have to go watch prince, not that there is much else to watch on the cinema at the moment. maybe that's why it's running so successfully? .. hmm okay i shouldn't be so cynical!

xoxo

Shell said...

It makes me even happier to see him proud of the fact that Prince was aiming for Dhoom 2 levels of entertainment

I admit I didn't really know what Prince was about but now I may have to put it on my must see list.

I think Ranbir looks just fine in his glasses. He kind of reminds me of Elvis Costello, the man who made uncool cool! Noone ever understands trendsetters.

Anonlee said...

Actually Prince is not doing well at the box office in India - http://www.boxofficeindia.com/boxdetail.php?page=shownews&articleid=1624&nCat=box_office_report

Unfortunately it is an expensive movie so it is unlikely to get to hit status.

Vivek best chance at a hit is his movie with RGV.

Filmi Girl said...

@san Of course he does! I just love that he can seriously discuss Housefull as if it was going to be true to life in any way! LOL!

@Shell Prince is highly amusing for sure! Did you see my review? No plot spoilers but should give you a taste for the film.

@Anonlee It's doing well at the single screens, though, and has done better than a lot of stuff to come out recently, which I think is why everybody is talking 'hit.'

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl