Another week is upon us - how did this happen? Did I dream the previous weekend? Did I really see ASHA BHOSLE in concert? (YES!)
This coming weekend I'll be going to check out The Blue Mug, which is on tour and soon Sukhwinder Singh is coming through town, too! There is just so much going on here in little, old Washington, DC!
(Now if only there were some film shootings...)
Let's see what is happening in Tinsel Town!
* The Times of India lists the 10 things they miss in Bollywood!
Tun Tun & Mukri Inc
The newer generation of character artistes are so slicked up that one forgets that there was a time when Tun Tun was happy being the fatty, Mukri the shorty, Keshto Mukherjee the drunkard, Iftekhar the policeman, Shetty the mean bald bastard.
Thespian aspirations and vanity have pretty much wiped out the genre of the stock character artiste. Some might say it is a good thing. But there is no denying that Leela Mishra portraying the brassy chachi film after film fulfilled the comfort of familiarity that was Bollywood: it was not what was going to happen next, but how it was going to happen next. So long as Amrish Puri was shot dead at the right point.
* Milan Luthria is almost ready to announce his next film - Once Upon A Time in Mumbai comes out in JULY! I feel like I've been waiting years for this one.
* Is Suniel Shetty replacing Surya in Kandhahar?!
* Arjun Rampal is getting better roles post-Rock On!
* Hindu nationalists in Nepal are angry over the film Hifajat because:
The group’s feathers have been ruffled by a three-minute song sequence and a brief fight scene in which the heroine wears an outfit that is a cross between a tank top and a bikini, a scarf round her head and a strip of cloth around her waist.
I did some digging around youtube and I'm pretty sure that this is the song:
And I am filled with a sudden desire to seek out this movie... especially since Rekha Thapa is apparently famous for doing her own stunts!
* With his film yet to be released, is Sukhwinder Singh already a diva?
Says his co-star Vikrum Kumar, "Having a good acting caliber not only made Sukhwinder angry but his obnoxious behavior made me feel sick. I remember we had a scene together where everyone praised me right, left and center. Sukhwinder just turned red and blue and walked into his van keeping all of us waiting for hours together for the next shot. I fail to understand this attitude from a well-known singer but I understand his state of mind as he is fully aware of the fact that he is debuting in the film and is unable to give his best.”
* Kamal Haasan may be playing the Sex Guru in an Italian film.
* A remake of Ready causes a rift between Deepika and Asin.
* Ram Gopal Varma has allegedly told Riteish Deshmukh to stop playing nerds on-screen. I don't know how I feel about this because I really, really like Riteish's Beta Male persona. He comes across very much like a Michael Cera-type of guy in films like Aladin, with such a lovely vulnerability. But on the other hand, the audience for such roles seems to be me and maybe three other people and I would rather give up seeing Riteish in vulnerable roles than see him suffer through a string a flops...
Mabye he could just do a Beta Male role in the occasional art house film just for me...
* Saif Ali Khan wants to work with Vishal Bhardwaj again. I have two words: Yes, PLEASE!
* Aishwarya Rai has 125 costume changes in Action Replay but the real reason to click on the link is to see Akshay Kumar looking shockingly like Rajesh Khanna circa Dard.
* If Anjaana-Anjaani is really based on La fille sur le pont, it is going to take all of Ranbir Kapoor's charm to get me into the theater.
La Fille ¦ is the story of knife-thrower Gabor (Daniel Auteuil) and Ad le (Vanessa Paradis), a girl who intends to kill herself by jumping off a bridge. Gabor intervenes and persuades Ad le to become the target girl in his knife-throwing act. The film follows their relationship as they travel around Europe with the act, ending in Istanbul when they get separated and their lives once again becomes luckless.
Or knife-throwing. If Priyanka pulls a Helen in Mr. India (the first one), maybe I'll get excited...
* Speaking of Ms. Piggy Chops, she has been pulling a me and flailing all over Twitter.
* Finally, Happy Birthday to my favorite Arshad Warsi!! He has been doing promos with Shilpa Shetty for Zara Nach Ke Dikha.
Look at that face! DAMN! I don't think that much smoulder is legal... Shilpa Shetty is one lucky lady...
AND MORE PICTURES!
Karan Johar launched a new menswear line...
And the incredibly dapper Rahul Khanna showed up to support him!
As did the ever-lovely Bhagyashree...
Note from Filmi Girl:
I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.
If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.
xoxo Filmi Girl