Thursday, April 29, 2010

Life in 2050

So... the Sci-Fi London Film Festival is showing Love Story 2050 and I have to ask why.

The idea behind the Sci-Fi festival is to shine some light on genre films - specifically the sci-fi genre, which tends to get overlooked or ghettoized as not being "serious" or meaningful. You may not know that I have a double online life working with the boys over at
GeeksOn podcast, so I know that "unrealistic" stuff whether space ships or song picturizations is not taken seriously in American pop culture.

The only thing I can come up with is that
Love Story 2050 is being screened so that everyone can laugh at it and that makes me uncomfortable.

I don't know if you remember my post on
why I watch Bollywood but part of what I try to be careful is mocking things because they are different from what I am used to. And something about an audience full of white people laughing at Love Story 2050 having never seen any Bollywood before just really pushes my "yuck" button.

While I would love for Bollywood to be appreciated far and wide, this kind of ghettoizing of Bollywood as campy trash at a festival that is supposed to be about rescuing the genre of sci-fi from that
very same description is pretty ironic.

But, you know, maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe the festival organizers had no idea what kind of film they would be showing - maybe they never actually saw the film and are under the impression that it is good.

In that case, I pity the audience who walks into
Love Story 2050 expecting a sci-fi epic and getting a pile of... well, you know.



"What? The party's over?"

5 comments:

The Floating Lush said...

Yeah, it wasn't a good film. I spent most of it just wishing they would get to the future already, and then hating the future once they were finally there. It was boring, and suffered from a lack of editing, and we skipped the last 20 minutes because we just couldn't take it any more. Ugh.

Random Musings said...

FG, this is such a topic of concern. Thanks for adding the link to your other post (which was absolutely great!)...

This is a matter which, I am sure, has bothered indian and non-indian Bollywood lovers. The thing with Bollywood is, I believe, its inconsistency. You will not be able to pick a random Bollywood movie and claim it to represent India .. or for that matter, even represent Bollywood itself.

A (non-Indian) colleague recently had become excited with Bollywood and asked me for movie suggestions - I very hesitantly, suggested Sholay (1975) and Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1994).. just for the different flavors in the two of them.. She came back a couple of days ago having watched Baazigar (1993), and gleefully commented.. Ohhh i love the way Kajol transforms from a nightie in her bedroom to shorts and a straw hat on the beach. I.. almost did not know where to take it from there.

Back to the current topic, airing movies like Love Story 2050, I believe is just adding to the mis conception about cultures! That being said, Hollywood has its share of junk! I happened to watch JLo's latest flick "The Back-up Plan" ... Add a few funky songs and a couple of dream sequences into it.. and I believe, it can put any ridiculously insane hindi movie to shame!!

Phew! a long rant!
:)

Filmi Girl said...

@random musings

Ohhh i love the way Kajol transforms from a nightie in her bedroom to shorts and a straw hat on the beach.

Comments like that totally baffle me. I always want to ask, "So that's all you got out of the film?" Or the people who think that the fact that Govinda is dancing is hilarious without any context.

I feel like Americans (and other Westerners) are just unwilling or maybe unable to take off the Hollywood 'realism' goggles and just accept that in a song picturization costumes and hair and scenery changes.

I have a link to a review of a review that I did of Dhamaal that touches on this.

But, yes, I'm totally baffled at the inclusion of Love Story 2050 because above all else it's just a terrible film. It's certainly in no way representative of typical Bollywood and offers nothing to the viewer than some unintentional hilarity.

I'm just miffed that people will see it and think all Bollywood is like this.

(And can I just caution against having non-desis watch HAN...K! as an introductory film? When I first started watching Bollywood, I found it impenetrable and dull. Maybe something like KKHH would be more accessible. :))

Random Musings said...

My instant reaction to "Reviewing a Dhamaal review..."

Tch! Tch! Tch! @ Mr. Hall's comments

and

Yay! Yay! Yay! @ FG's rebuttals

:) :)

PS: What was the comment "(Hey, who knew there was pizza delivery in India?)" about??! Lol!!!

veracious said...

Wow, that's tragic. People who aren't familiar with Indian films probably won't understand the fact that Indian films don't have a history for certain genres, so they haven't developed in the way genres in Hollywood have. I mean, with this context in mind we can sort of evaluate Love Story 2050 as the "odd one out" - crappy, failed sci-fi trial that Bollywood has had. I agree it's bad if and when the non-initiated assume that a film of this type would be norm.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl