Monday, April 5, 2010

Heyy Babyy and Bollywood Plagiarism



Yes, it's the paper that absolutely zero publications were interested in - I don't know why. Doesn't everyone want an 18-page paper on a Sajid Khan film?

Because I have some free time today and I know you will want plenty of time to read this before
Housefull comes out, please enjoy!

It is available as a pdf
here.

Here is a teaser for you:

If remaking films for the Indian market were as simple as the types of remakes
Americans are used to, then the newly vigilant posture of Hollywood against them would
make sense. But as it is, films made for a Bollywood audience are wildly different in
composition and structure from non-Indian films. And while Bollywood filmmakers may
be “inspired,” to use the industry term, by American films, the process of translating that
inspiration from a Western-style narrative to a Bollywood narrative transforms the
original story into something else entirely. Films often include a variety of “inspirations”
in their narratives, ranging from scenes or bits of dialogue from other older Bollywood
films, south Indian films, East Asian films, stage dramas, and traditional stories, along
with Hollywood movies (Nayar, 74). Using the Bollywood film Heyy Babyy (2007),
inspired by Three Men and a Baby (1987), as a representative example, I argue that in
most cases where Bollywood has borrowed from American films it changes the material
enough so that while the borrowed material may resemble the original product, it no
longer contains the main substance of the original work and cannot strictly be considered
a remake.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anishok said...

Can't wait till I get home and read this!

The Floating Lush said...

I'll look at the PDF later, but does it point out that "3 Men" is itself a remake of a French film, "3 Hommes et un Couffin?" Or is it only ZOMGplagarism if Bollywood does it?

O hai, I've just subcribed to your blog and am going through the archives.

The Floating Lush said...

Aaaand I should perhaps look at the link before commenting. Oops. It's still early and I'm not awake yet is my only possible excuse. :(

Filmi Girl said...

@thefloatinglush When you read,you'll find out. I do address that. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl