Friday, April 2, 2010

Friday Gossip!

Happy Good Friday to all my Catholic friends!





The flowers are out in full force here in Washington, DC and so are the tourists... one makes me sneeze and the other clogs up my morning commute. Wait until 9:30 to ride the Metro, people... after rush hour.

I'm sure a lot of people saw this but if you didn't, there was a fake "Bollywood" trailer for the new
Halo film.

While it was certainly humorous, it's annoying me that all the Internet nerds seem to think it - and I quote:

It's not enough that it's just "Bollywood Halo," it's that they nailed the stereotypical feel of a Bollywood movie so perfectly that really sells it.

No. No, they didn't nail the stereotypical feel of a Bollywood movie, unless by Bollywood movie, you mean
The Love Guru. First of all, the camera moves during the dancing are waaaaaaaay too Southie masala. Also, there are no white heroines in Bollywood and the styling and costumes are not flashy enough by a long shot.

But then, Internet nerds are not known for being overly knowledgeable about anything I care about - including Bollywood.

Enjoy
The Guardian making fun of Lindsay Lohan's BBC documentary on child trafficking in India.

Yeah, it's kind of a whole new departure for me. I want to give back, to do things that will make me feel fulfilled, not just get remembered for the cars and parties I've crashed. India's cool because I'm not that well known out here. Instead of Hollywood, they have Bollywood, with a B (WTF!) and I'm not in that. So I can go anywhere, I'm kinda undercover.

Once you've washed the taste of LiLo out of your brain, enjoy
this adorable story about an autorickshaw driver in Chennai!

Though a school drop-out, Samson, 38, turned out to be different. His stand was in front of the Taj Coromandel hotel in Chennai and used by a lot of foreigners. Some years ago, a regular customer, a Japanese woman, asked him to take her to an internet cafe. ''She explained what the internet was to me and then created an email identity for me,'' he says. ''I had already picked up some English by talking to my customers and, because I had their email addresses, she taught me how to send them emails.''

But lets hit the gossip!

* Dimple Kapadia remains one of my favorite people in Bollywood - check out
this interview!

So the next question? How does Dimple manage to look so young?

She ponders over that one while waiting for lunch to arrive on the sets of Society. "Let me think of the formula. I sleep at 4 pm and get up at 2 am. No I'm just kidding. I've no clue as to why I look the way I am. People feel I look younger than my age. I don't feel that way. I think all my contemporaries are glowing these days. If you still insist I look younger than my contemporaries then it could be because I play poker, the others don't. That's the secret."


* I wish Dibakar Banerjee would just not give
quotes because he sounds really pretentious when doing so...

"See, if a film is sold on my name then that is not just because of me. Credit must go to my audiences who have now started to make up their minds that they are stepping to watch a Dibakar Banerjee film. So now I have to always conscious about what these set of people expect from me."

There is something off about this and I can't quite put my finger on it.

* Troube for
Housefull - Sajid Khan didn't get the proper permissions to us a song from Laawaris.

* Apparently Aishwarya Rai and Frieda Pinto are battling to become
the first Indian Bond girl. If this is true, my vote is with Aishwarya...

Speaking of Aishwarya, there are rumors of
four different endings for Raavan... I kind of hope she does end up with Raavan or at least all the endings are included on the DVD.

* I was
April Fooled by Shahid Kapoor! Yes, the stories from yesterday were jokes! I'm glad Shahid isn't a diva after all...

* Katrina is OUT of the
Bride Wars remake and thank God. Nobody wants that film - nobody.

* NTR jr is
engaged!

* Check out the company doing the effects for
Ra.1.

* Martin Scorsese is rescuing a Bollywood classic
from ruin.

Released in 1948, the film starred Shankar and used dance, drama and dream sequences to tell the story of a writer pitching a movie to a film producer.

"It is a cutting edge film, very forward looking," said film critic and author Anupama Chopra. "It got so badly damaged that most of it was destroyed and they are trying to re-create it before it is totally lost so it can be shown to new audiences."


The whole article is worth reading - so many of these classic films are either already lost or damaged.



(Please note the wine glass - this looks suspiciously like the way I work.)

And I hope everyone has been reading Arshad Warsi's
Celebrity Diaries on mid-day.com!



A celebration of 'dusky skin' from
Vogue...

And STAR Cintaa Superstars Ka Jalwa performances!





CHI CHI! I hope we do eventually see his remake of
My Cousin Vinny.


4 comments:

Never Mind!! said...

And Samson is now web savvy enough to have his own website :)
http://tuktastic.com/

Michael Barnum said...

I have a new found respect for Martin Scorsese for his desire to save old Indian films! Someone has got to do it before it is too late!

To Martin I say "Shabaaz"!

Liz C said...

The dance group in the Halo video is Ishaara, a dance group from Berkeley (http://ishaaradance.com/)that was on America's Got Talent last summer. (I thought I recognize the blonde dancer.) To be fair, it wasn't that they cast a white girl in the lead, it's just that she's the lead dancer in the troop. (Who apparently has an Indian mother.)

Christine Menefee said...

Thank you for that tuk-tuk story - it made my day! Loved it.

Re the Dibakar Banerjee quote - it is a little off - struck me as a kind of distorted variation on "well, that's enough about me. I want to know about you: what do you think of me?"

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl