Monday, March 1, 2010

Bombay Day 3

Holi Hai!!!

Without thinking, I scheduled my visit over a three-day weekend - over the Holi holiday!

I know most of you know what Holi is but for the few non-Bollywood fans reading about my trip, check out this classic Holi song for a small sample:






The city shut down for the morning and every came out to play on the beach! People get drunk and rowdy, so quite a few of us tourists stuck to the hotel. We watched them and they watched us - novelty on both sides! And note the security guard - there is one there 24 hours a day.

I read by the pool all morning, which is where I earned my snazzy sunburn - even though I was sitting IN THE SHADE!



This is what I was enjoying... relaxing!

So, then after a nice day at the pool, I got in touch with the fabulous Jugal, who runs the
Filmfare website and we went to see Karthik Calling Karthik - which I should will write up a proper review for later, but needless to say... it was a pretty lame thriller but I thought Deepika was actually not bad. She still seems super awkward on camera but she wasn't quite as robot-like as she usually is.

It was a fun experience though - I went to a multiplex in one of the many malls on the Link Road. Jugal pointed out that they are all in one big clump and that the malls are where everyone goes to hang out now. It's kind of like in the States where all the suburban kids hang out in the malls...

The security was pretty intense - my bag was screened a couple of times and I had to go through a metal detector to enter the mall. And, unlike American theaters, there was a guy who would deliver your snacks to your seat and an usher to show where your seats were. Very swank!

Then we took a
rickshaw to a restaurant and I got to try Indian-style veg kabobs and some plain rice and dal, which was delicious and didn't hurt my stomach one bit.

I took the rickshaw by myself all the way back to the hotel, which was an adventure in and of itself because the driver got lost and then due to some hierarchy of vehicles, he wasn't allowed to drop me at the door but somehow I don't think he cared, since he got to charge me the White Tourist Rate for the ride.

Now, I'm still working up my itinerary for today! I have no idea what I'm doing! Excitement? Relaxation? Who knows?!

3 comments:

SachinRB said...

You get to witness, if not participate, Holi back in my birthplace. I haven't been there for over 15 years. I envy, but also hope that you are having a wonderful time. I am living vicariously through your experiences. :)

bollywooddeewana said...

wow, wish i was there, enjoy the rest of your time in Mumbai......xx

VIBGYOR said...

Hey...filmi girl did you visit powai lake area in mumbai? if not than I think u must visit this place its awesome

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl