Sunday, March 21, 2010

Arshad Warsi Week: Sunday! A Rohit Shetty Re-Post!

Here is another teaser post for Arshad Warsi week – I found my review for Sunday from my old blog! It’s a Rohit Shetty extravaganza and a Monday morning present for those of you who are waking up right now!

Please remember that this is a re-post of a review, although my opinions are basically the same. I added a few notes where I thought appropriate.

(And check out my review for Golmaal Returns which also features Mr. Arshad Warsi!)

I didn't think it was worth going back to re-review either of these films simply because Arshad Warsi, as much as I love him, isn't the main focus of either. He's hilarious but part of the ensemble. Still, I enjoyed him very much in both so... here you go!


SUNDAY



I enjoyed
Sunday - but then I like Rohit Shetty films. I love the off-kilter camera work, the sound effects, the wacky characters, and the loopy nonsensical plots. That said, while I did enjoy Sunday, I couldn't help wishing that it had been better. The potential was there but the execution fell through in a number of ways. Let me recap the basics for you first - and don't worry - no real spoilers.



The heroine of
Sunday is one of my favorite actresses - the bouncy, beautiful Ayesha Takia. She plays Seher, a rather unconventional heroine, she works doing voice overs for cartoon characters. The plot is set into motion when, one Saturday evening, Seher goes out with her friend Ritu to a club. Seher wakes up Monday morning with no idea of what happened to her Sunday.



She begins to notice that things are weird when she is hassled by a cabbie for a fare she never paid! And then some gangsters come after her! What's going on?!



Enter tough-guy Ajay Devgan ready to solve the case - and eat some ice cream along the way.

Let me get to the good before I start nitpicking:



Irrfan was hilarious as a struggling actor! He was always in a different costume!



Irrfan and Arshad worked very well paired together. I would totally watch their jodi in another movie. Arshad's high-energy comedy matches Irrfan's pompous comedy.



Also, Ayesha, Arshad, and Irrfan make a great comic team. Seriously! I wish the three of them had had more scenes together.



The songs and the picturizations are great! Check out "Loot Liya"
[Note from Future Filmi Girl – yes, I am STILL obsessed with this song. I think it is amazing.] about 57 seconds into this clip you'll see the fabulous one-shot take where the camera pans from Arshad to Ayesha to Irrfan to... Arshad! If you watch carefully, you'll realize that Arshad had to run from where he was behind the camera to be set up in place by the time the camera came back around to him! Fantastic!

Major props to
Ganesh Acharya who, it turns out, also did the songs for Vaastav and Khakee!

The item number with Esha Deol is also very good but I won't post it as it's kind of spoilery.

So where does the movie fail...? There were two things about
Sunday that prevented it from being really great.



The first is Ajay Devgan. I do like Ajay, really, but his tough guy avatar needs a foil. One of the things that made
Golmaal: Fun Unlimited so much fun was that Ajay's tough-guy had TWO foils - Tusshar and Arshad. In Sunday he has no foils, which makes him rather intolerable whenever he is onscreen.

If you'll allow me to digress for a moment, here is the thing about the
masala hero - we, the audience, love him but we also kind of hate him, too. Why aren't our lives this fantastic? That's why you traditionally have The Comedian to play off the hero and foil him a bit. That's why Sanjay Dutt as Munna Bhai needs Arshad Warsi's Circuit. That's why Salman Khan had a hit with Govinda in Partner. We identify with the hero but then we can also engage in a little schadenfreude towards him. It's cathartic.

Even comic heroes need a foil - Akshay Kumar needed the cold David Spade-type foil of Ranvir Shorey in
Chandni Chowk to China!

Actually, I would have preferred to erase Ajay Devgan from this movie entirely and paired Arshad with Ayesha - they had much better chemistry, but if Ajay is going to be the hero, then please, for the love of God, give him a comic foil. If he doesn't get along with Arshad then what about Govinda? Ritesh? Ranvir Shorey? Vinay Pathak? I would totally watch a comedy starring Ajay Devan and Vinay Pathak as cops.

And while I'm digressing, let me just state for the record that I adore Arshad Warsi. He can dance, acting, emote, do comedy... I will see anything he's in.
[Note from Future Filmi Girl – clearly, this is still true.]

So, yes, okay Ajay Devgan was pompous and unappealing. The other problem I had with
Sunday was plot related and has to do with the roofie that Ayesha is slipped. I feel like the danger to Ayesha is not played up enough. That is actually a very dangerous situation for a young woman and it was kind of just hand-waved away to get to the chasing and other stuff. Ayesha's character could easily have been raped or killed and the horror and awfulness of that is totally handwaved away.

Still, if you enjoy Rohit Shetty films, then
Sunday is a much needed addition to your DVD collection!

2 comments:

shahs86 said...

Two things.
First, I kinda like the Ajay Devgan/Mukesh Tiwari duo. Though maybe it was just me. I've come to be a big fan of Mukesh Tiwari.

Second, the Arshad/Irrfan duo is great. Sadly, Krazzy 4 didn't live up to it, but still. I'm hoping something else comes out with them soon.

Filmi Girl said...

@Shahs86 I'll have to check out more Mukesh Tiwari - any recommendations?

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl