Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday Gossip!

Good morning, all!

We're digging out from under the snow here in DC today and it seems that Bollywood is still buried under a huge pile of
My Name is Khan v. Shiv Sena stories.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth rehashing those here. I fully support SRK and that's that.

So, there isn't much non-SRK related gossip this morning but I have an essay that kind of pissed me off and made me happy at the same time.

Vidya Balan Giving Size Zero Heroines A Run for Their Money

Vidya Balan in this movie is not just sexy. She is sexy in a way that reinforces the old idea of buxom, plumpish Indian attractiveness, which, with our blistering exposure to western aesthetic ideals, is now a matter of nostalgia.

And just in case it wasn't enough that the weight police were out to tell you that size zero is the only acceptable weight, Tamil actor Jayaram is in trouble for calling his housemaid a
‘fat, dark Tamilian… similar to a bufffalo’.

Nice.

But I have some lighter news for you - who here watches E's "The Soup" with sexy Joel McHale?

Imagine my surprise when I saw this (about 1:40 into the clip):



AMITABH BACHCHAN on THE SOUP!

Okay, how about some promo pictures?!



Bips launching her workout DVD.



Aw!!! John was there, too!



Siddharth and Shruti Hasaan at the premiere of
Striker!





Saif and Katrina at an event for Pearls Wave - an
organization working to stop violence against women.

Saifu says:
"Actors as role models, having responsibility towards society and should lend their support to causes like violence against women. We need to make people aware about it, if public opinion can be affected with our association we can contribute to it.”

Kat:
"My mom is always involved with women charity. Today I am very happy to help this cause and will give something back to the society. Across the country we have NGOs and people who are willing to help those affected by violence and difficulties in their lives. It is our responsibility to make women aware of these facilities and tell them how to use it to fight abuse.”

Keep fighting the good fight, guys! I <3 you!

5 comments:

ajnabi said...

LOL about Talk Soup. Big B's been on the Colbert Report in clips too--have you seen those?

Yay for Saif and Kareena! (And for Pearls Wave especially!)

Simran said...

Am loving that picture where Bips is hiding behind John ! Awwww. :)

After hearing all this good stuff about Ishqiya, I'm getting pretty excited to watch it when it comes out on DVD. Wish I could drive , so I could watch it ASAP !

Yay Katrina ! I love it when celebs take time out to endorse great causes. :)

Liz C said...

I caught that clip of "Paa" on the Soup as well. Fortunately, it wasn't just a "Wow, Bollywood is weird" snark. I've seen the movie, and that was definitely a "WTF is going on here??!!" scene.

And on a shallow note, I like the facial hair on John.

Ami said...

I'm not really griping about it or anything, and Bip probably does indeed like SRK's butt very much, second to John's.. but (pun intended) it irks me that the new DVD got coverage in the news the minute she mentioned SRK's butt. Why can't she just mentioned John's and leave SRK's out of it? I think John's butt standing on its own will suffice.. :P

BollyThoughts said...

Saif is looking rough in those pics. So glad that the botox is wearing off! Also, Katrina Kaif is growing on me in leaps and bounds. I recently saw her on Koffee with Karan - she looked gorgeous and her legs go on forever! (I understand your fascination.)

So glad this SRK/Shiv Sena thing is dying down. I was getting tired of it, esp since SRK's so right.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl