Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday Gossip!

SNOW! We are having snow here today! I'm all prepared, though - I don't have to leave the house until Monday. And there is the Striker Watchalong on Sunday to keep me busy.

(
Even the BBC is excited!)

BUT! FIRST! Let's hit the new gosisp...

* More troubles for
Agent Vinod - Saif is thinking of changing it to a romance instead of a thriller. Saif, dude, people don't like your jodi with Kareena. They just don't. Find another actress - like Vidya Balan or maybe Bipasha Basu - and make the thriller.

* Hollywood Studios are
laying low in Bollywood for the moment but Avatar was the second biggest grosser of the year...

* Stream a live show from Brooklyn-based bhangra band
Red Baraat!

* John Abraham NEWS! He's confirmed to play a
Punjabi gangster in Deepa Mehta's next film Beeba Boys opposite Milla Jovoich. I think I might explode from the pretty that will be on screen...

* Katrina Kaif wants a
bigger role in the Italian Job remake. Good on her! I think she should make the producers expand her part - this is the 21st century! Let's start making the heroines as important as the heroes in masala films!

* TIME magazine has a profile of
Irrfan Khan - and this is my favorite part: The cliché about actors with great screen presence is that they always seem so much smaller in real life. Khan is the opposite. When he's in a scene on film, it's almost impossible not to watch him — but in person the effect is magnified, not diminished. He is taller and better looking than you expect from his common-man roles, and he has a way of subtly yet firmly controlling the environment around him.

I'm not going to lie - I think Irrfan is kind of studly.

* Check out an interview with
Sendhil Ramamurthy!

Alright, I've got the SRK v. SS links for you but I'm still withholding comment until I get the time to ponder it through:

Salman Khan is
supporting SRK despite their differences.

Indiainfo questions why
Aamir Khan has stayed silent. (Um...could it be because his father just died?)

The police are going to
ensure that the film releases peacefully and, surprisingly, the BJP has come out FOR Shahrukh.

As much as 70% of the collections from
MNIK are expected to come from overseas.

LEAKED
KITES TRAILER!!!



Oh, Rakesh, I had my doubts but I think this is going to be extremely entertaining! (Just don't make me watch the 'edited' version - I want SONGS!)

6 comments:

ajnabi said...

I'm with you on the Kites trailer. It looks way better than my abysmal expectations. It might actually not suck!

And you know what would be cool? Seeing Rani play against type. It's true that people just don't like Saifeena onscreen, though I don't object to them off. But despite TPTM people love Rani-Saif, so why not cast her in Agent Vinod and get her career out of its lag at the same time? I have no doubt she could bring the acting chops.

Ami said...

I have to say.. I love Kareena, but with Saif? Errm.. I think I'll pass. I don't think I like her with SRK either.. they look too much like brother and sister on-screen (I'm worried for ra.one ^^;) ..anyway, why isn't she making any more film with Hrithik? I think they make a good couple :P

If anyone can turn me away from ogling men, it'll be Katrina. I dunno what is it about her, but my eyes are completely riveted in her direction everytime she's in the frame (which is why I completely ignored Akshay in namaste london).

After having read so many articles on the SS vs. the whole shining India + SRK, I have decided there's no way in hell or earth that I can ever understand Indian politics (it's more long-winded than Malaysian politics..which is quite an achievement..Jai ho!), a necessary backdrop IMO for writing about the incident, coz I write convolutely when it comes to SRK. I did promise a write tho, so I'll probably have to cook up something. Feel so sad reading how SRK is worrying about his family and can't come home yet coz of his promo schedule. I think his next destination is Abu Dhabi.

I have to say tho.. it's like reel imitating real imitating reel when I read about him being branded a traitor (Chak De! India) and Indian fans living in Mumbai writing in twitter about how they'll watch MNIK even if they have to go out of Mumbai to do it (images of people marching to cinema halls on the 12th to face off with SS goons make me think of the scenes from PBDH Hindustani). I echo Shah Rukh's sentiment that hopefully things will end peacefully.

rhilex said...

I DEFINITELY agree with what ajnabi said about Rani. I would love to see her in a thriller-type film, to try to expand/break away her image. I think, after Black, Rani's just been playing it safe (and maybe other directors aren't offering her non-safe parts?).

E said...

I agree - the Kites trailer actually looks kinda fun, and my boy Hrithik looks good enough to eat with a spoon. Devastating. After Dhoom 2, I don't think my husband can take another swooning-over-HR episode...

shell said...

Nice article on Irrfan. He's been one of those actors who has continualy stuck in my mind as a pro, and i'm with you on the kind of studly thing.

I thought I saw a trailer for Kites ages ago, around Cannes time - I'm sure I even posted it on my blog (revisited post: video has been removed). I thought I was going to have to write this movie off, but it does look like it could be good. I am 100% with you though, I want the non-Westernized version please.

It's interesting that Salman has come out to support Shah Rukh. I guess one of the views on the situation are echoing the detainment in Newark - that this is all just a publicity stunt and all the commotion will just magically disappear on the 12th.

Anarchivist said...

Mmmmm, the Irfan! I'm glad to see the rest of the world catching up with my obsession. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl