Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Gossip! (Filmi Girl loves an Underdog!)

Good morning, all! I have returned unscathed from COSMIC BOWLING! Everybody should go cosmic bowling - it is ridiculously fun.

Moving on to stuff you care about...

* My music review for Purab Kohli's new film Hide and Seek is up. My verdict: it was an interesting little album. I actually enjoyed the bizarre "Jingle Bells"' after a few listens and "Maula" was genuinely a good rocker.

* Priyanka Chopra won a National Award for her performance in Fashion.

I recommend we all read Veracious's take and reflect on what awards mean. I've long given up the idea of any sort of objective standard of what is "good" or "the best" when it comes to art but I do like when my favorites get a bit of recognition. [Editor's note: that last bit is not intended to refer to Priyanka's win.]

* This isn't strictly filmi but I have been following with some interest, the flare of tensions between India and Pakistan over IPL --specifically over which players have and haven't been chosen. Shilpa Shetty takes it on with a typically tone deaf fashion.

* ANIL KAPOOR INJURED BY A THERMOS!

* A crowd of Salman Khan fans in Jaipur turned unruly mob when they couldn't see their favorite actor, who was supposed to participate in a marathon but backed out.

* Please to be reading this op-ed on the multiplexes and let me know what you think.

I will say that it's like Pahlaj Nihalani found the populist hidden in me (not so deeply) beneath the surface.

One cannot rely on these critics, who give three-or four star-ratings. The sad part is that after reading their analysis, people decide whether to go for a movie or to buy a pirated CD,” stated Nihalani.

Preach it, brother! So many of my favorite films were totally panned by 99% of critics.

* Dulha Mil Gaya is doing well in Trinada & Tobago!!! Yay!!! Global Bollywood FTW!

And just because the guy needs a break - SALMAN KHAN BEING ADORABLE!


Hi, Sallu! He was visiting an orphanage to promote Veer!


I'm assuming this is more Veer promotions but I don't know where...


And here is the beautiful Zarine Khan!


I've grown to really like her look...


She looks a little like Katrina but I don't think the 'lookalike' thing is justified.

5 comments:

Ami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ami said...

Lemme get this outta the way first: Zarine totally looks like Katrina.. to me at least :P

And I totally just wrote an entire rant post based on that multiplex issue (exacerbated by a momentary angst over silly conflicting reviews on Veer, worries about the fate of MNIK, musings on the 3 Idiots financial gross reports, and a whole host of other cliche issues..if that makes sense ^^;) here - http://ombollywood.blogspot.com/2010/01/rant-rant-rant.html

It's a complete yawn piece but I needed to get stuff off my chest..plus, I wanted to find an excuse to get away from work, so...

Simran said...

LOL. I agree with Ami. Zarine kinda does look a LOT like Katrina. :P

YAYY !! I think Priyanka totally deserved that award. She was really good in Fashion. :D

eliza bennet said...

If someone told me Katrina and Zarine are sisters I'd believe that person.

I'm liking them both :)

Ness said...

I can't believe you didn't lead with the thermos injury story!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl