Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Gossip!!!! And More on Chance Pe Dance!

Good morning, all!

So, I think some people were confused by my review of Chance Pe Dance - let me try to clarify a bit: Do not go into this film expecting anything more than Shahid Kapoor charming up the screen for 2 hours because that is what I liked about the movie. No, not the 6-pack - which only shows up for the very last song - or the fact that he's adorable but just his effortless charm and grace. If Shahid Kapoor teaching a chubby preteen to dance is enough to get you out to the theatre, then Chance Pe Dance is for you - if you need more than that, wait for DVD or skip it all together.

As I tweeted when I got home from the film, Chance Pe Dance was like my id barfed up a film. There was no logic, just lots of stream-of-consciousness storytelling. Events unfolded with little rhyme or reason other than to satisfy the emotional pacing of the film. Equal screentime was given to Shahid Kapoor brushing his teeth and ordering tea as was to any sort of "plot."

That is what I meant when I said that if you require "logic" in your stories, then this is not for you.

For me, Shahid's performance was charming enough that I was entertained through the entire film. I wasn't bored for a second but I understand that not everybody watches films the way I do.

I also tend to bring my own subtext to everything. Just yesterday morning, for example, I had been listening to this episode of This American Life about long shots and I spent some time during the film thinking about that and how Sam's whole journey was a long shot.

And I thought about how Genelia was so much more palatable when she wasn't hyped up like she was on crank.

And how much more confident Shahid seems since his break-up with Kareena.

And lots of other things.

So, you see, when I say I enjoyed Chance Pe Dance, I mean just that: I enjoyed the film.

And nobody can argue that I'm right or wrong about that - I think we've all figured out that my tastes tend to split on a very high/low brow divide with not much I like in the middle. And to make things very clear: Chance Pe Dance falls on the bottom of the barrel end.

Are we good? Cool!

Okay!

* So now we can all enjoy a nice little profile of Shahid!

Shahid's first film memory dates back to when he was around five years old and his father Pankaj Kapur's detective serial Karamchand, in which he munched on carrots, was on-air and they had gone to a popular eatery in Delhi. “Suddenly we were surrounded by fans with carrots in their hand who insisted he eat them. It was very scary and we rushed out to look for public transport to take us to our car which was parked some distance away,” he remembers.

* Aayirathil Oruvan is undergoing some cuts and subtitles will be added for the ancient Tamil bits. I'm assuming this will be like when you go see Scottish or North English films here in the USA and they subtitle the English.

* Global Post takes on the subject of the changing promotional styles in Bollywood. The author mentions Aamir's head-shaving sessions for Ghajini but is smart enough to remind us that all the promotions in the world couldn't save Blue. Or Chandi Chowk to China.

* I was very uninterested in Teen Patti until I saw the trailer at the theater yesterday!! WOW! It looks fantastic!


So, here are a couple of tidbits on it: Maddy's character has 6 different disguises in the film. Also, it's directed by a woman, Leena Yadav, and I think we should support female directors! Here is another interview with her.


The Big B at a Teen Patti press meet!


A couple of dashing gents!


And director Leena Yadav! Is it me or does Bollywood have more female directors than Hollywood...? *applauds the ladies*

4 comments:

Sal said...

Leena Yadav is kinda gorgeous, and I was probably the only person in the world who loved her first film Shabd.

martoufmarty said...

... Wait, did I just see Amitabh Bachchan and Ben Kingsley in a frame or two together?

... Overall it looks crazy and I want to see it. Thanks for the heads up!

Anonlee said...

@Sal, no you are not alone. I really liked her first movie Shabd.

It was interesting to see Sanjay Dutt in a different type of role and the film had great music.

I'm looking forward to her second effort especially with Amitabh, Sir Ben and Maddy. I read there are guess appearances by Ajay Devgn, Jackie Shroff, Mahesh Manjrekar, Ranjeet, Shakti Kapoor and Tinnu Anand.

My concern was it being a remake of 21 but the director said this in her interview:

Rumour mills have started working over time accussing Teen Patti of being a rip-off from Robert Luketic’s 2008 Hollywood film 21, about an MIT scandal on blackjack. “I had officially locked my script before 21 released. My plot is completely different, the only similarity between the two films is the study of human greed,” she explains.

Ami said...

I'm really blah about media going on and on about this film being a rip-off of that film yada yada yada. I wanna tell those people something.. in the world of fiction, originality is merely a myth. So long as the story is made in very interesting & different ways, similar plots can take a backseat..at least for me. Example, as much as I like Will Smith and thought Hitch was cute..I must say I enjoy Partner a lot more. I nearly fell off my chair several times laughing hysterically when I watched that movie. But that's just me..a gal who enjoys watching Hong Kong movies that are mostly rip-offs of Hollywood movies and each other. Maybe I'm just too used to the concept to care. So long as I enjoy it and the producer is not getting sued for making the film, I'm happy.

Watching the Teen Patti promo made me think of how light years away the 21st century hindi movies are from the 20th ones in terms of techniques and aspirations. The content may still be high on emo, but it's clothed slickly and with more style.. (but can I say that the title made me think of Spongebob?? ^^;)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl