Saturday, January 9, 2010

SATURDAY!!!!

I wait all week for Saturday!

Now, I'm jamming out to The-Dream and drinking huge amounts of coffee!! FANTASTIC!

EVERYONE IN WISCONSIN - the University of Wisconsin is hosting a kings of Bollywood film series!

So... apparently, my snarky summary of that guy's article on Bollywood yesterday rubbed some people the wrong way. In my defense, I will say that I posted that at the butt-crack of dawn on not much sleep and was not in a kindly mood. Since I think we discussed it fully in the comments, I won't spend more time on it except to say that it is my understanding that Bollywood has long been a global cinema, and not just among NRIs, and while the films will probably never catch on with "world cinema" buffs, with proper promotion, I don't think it's impossible for them to catch on with Western audiences, too. Hey, if we can make hits of such fare as Paul Blart: Mall Cop and Big Mama's House then anything goes, right?

So, without comment I bring you an op-ed on Bollywood 'time-pass' films.

MOVING ON!!

* Farhan and Deepika are now BFF or something. They are not romantically involved say both parties but have "clicked big time" on the sets of Kartik Calling Kartik - a film that I have less than no desire to see. I have negative desire to see this film, which only requires Harman Baweja to corner the market on Bollywood's biggest acting lightweights.

* Golden Star Ganesh is remaking Khushi!

* The Kites release date has been pushed back to May 21st. And Hrithik is giving 200% on Guzarish right now. The link contains a little plot information if you're curious.

* Salman Khan continues to rise in my opinion by insisting on including a comedy track in Veer. If Salman decides to reinvent himself for the 2010s as the Savior of Traditional Masala then I, for one, am willing to stop making cracks about his age, changing hair line, and propensity for casting actresses that look like old girlfriends. He's also winning points with me for supporting Shotgun Sinha's daughter! They are currently shooting for Dabanng.

* And how about a lovely interview with lovely Kavita Krishnamurthy. She is one of my all-time favorites. I wish she sang more playback but she explains why she does not:

Why is that you stay away from playback singing now-a-days?
I don't want to work with today's musicians. Neither their music, nor their lyrics touches the heart. Today's songs don't have that sensitivity and warmth. I don't know about other singers, but I, personally, can't get into an emotional bonding with the songs that are being made now. Everything is computerized; how can a singer's soul be satisfied with such mechanical singing! Besides, the young musicians have become professional; they make music keeping in mind the commercial aspect, even if it has to be at the cost of creativity.

* Chetan Bhagat is taking a bigger part of the filming of his novel 3 Mistakes. He'll be working with Abhishek Kapoor (Rock On!!) and Farhan Akhtar.

* The Wall Street Journal comments on the success of 3 Idiots.

And I haven't seen Dulha Mil Gaya yet but here are some reviews from the usual suspects!

NDTV hated it, calling it a rehashed 1990s NRI film.

Indiaglitz says it's tedious except for Sush.

Smashits didn't like it but thinks Sush and SRK fans will.

Masala.com thinks it's a satire of 1990s NRI films but didn't like it anyways.

What do I think? Being a fan of all things garish, fake, and satirical, I think I'll check this out anyways. My expectations are low enough that I might just enjoy it.

And how about some pics from the Dulha Mil Gaya premiere?!


Sushmita Sen and Fardee Khan - did you forget to brush something off your nose there, Fardeen?


The ever-present and always-gorgeous Sophie Chaudhary!


Vidya Balan was kind enough to pop by before heading off grocery shopping.


I love this picture of Govinda for two reasons: Chi Chi's hair is uber-fake looking and the guy standing behind him seems to take Saif Ali Khan as a style icon because that is... THE FORMAL BANDANA!


What I wouldn't give to be part of this BFF-sandwich... RITEISH AND FARAH! ZOMG!

6 comments:

Simran said...

Farhan is best friends with Deepika? What is wrong with the world?? Sorry, I just really have a strong dislike towards her...

!!! Was SRK not at the premiere?

Ness said...

heheh interesting link to the 'timepass' article especially in light of my p.o.v yesterday! The guy makes good points. Filmi Girl, I love that you feel strongly about stuff and have an actual opinion and let people argue with you ! And find awesome stuff on the net for us to argue over. Or sometimes just drool or squee over :)

And omg what has cuteycute Riteish let happen to his pretty face? Someone get the boy a razor. I really hope this is not Hrithik's Guzarish look catching on...

Filmi Girl said...

@simran if he was I didn't see pics of him!

@ness Hee hee! I like a good disagreement as much as the next person - I just can't stand when people state that BOLLYWOOD SUX or that all films should be classy world cinema type pieces because it shuts out alternate points of view and ignores the fact that not everybody wants to watch movies like that. That's why I actually enjoyed that 'critic's take' on things because he does have some good points.

Ness said...

omgosh, I think we can both definitely agree that all things should definitely NOT be classy world cinema type things. For we both have deep love for Tashan, do we not? Lol!

Ami said...

*He's also winning points with me for supporting Shotgun Sinha's daughter!*
Industry families help each other. Nepotism and all that blah. Nothing new in it.

- So agreeing on the computerized, commercialized aspect of hindi music in films now. One other gripe, why do the big films tend to be titled in English and filmed 99.99% on foreign locations nowadays? As much as I love seeing Shah Rukh anywhere, and MNIK & Ra-1 are high on my wish list..I wish he'd do a HINDI hindi film soon (like Swades, but with better editing).

*My expectations are low enough that I might just enjoy it.*
- You took the words right outta my mouth hehe. That's how I felt when Billu was released too.

Haven't read your snarky summary..heading over there now~ ^^

Filmi Girl said...

Hi Ami! Salman is pretty good with helping his industry buddies from Govinda to Sajid-Wajid but I can't remember him helping anyone's daughter before. Maybe I'm wrong.

Mostly I'm just excited because I love Shotgun Sinha and I'm hoping his daughter is just as bad-ass as he is!!!

I totally agree on your other two points. XD

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl