Friday, January 15, 2010

2000s: A Decade in Review - 2009

And, finally, a look back at the year that was. It was a year of flops, strikes, foreign actresses, and a huge divide in the film going public.

THE FILMS

Here are the top 5 grossing films of 2009:

#1 3 Idiots


#2 Wanted


#3 Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani


#4 Love Aaj Kal


#5 New York


(And note to my wikipedia-editing friend who kept insisting that Kaminey was the top grossing film of the year - SUCK IT! Also, I know people are going to get on my case for my dislike of the accolades heaped upon LAK and 3 Idiots but it's not that I think they're bad movies - it's just that I understand that they are Bollywood-produced versions of the kinds of Hollywood films that I hate. Ok? I do understand why people liked them but I personally - and emphasis on the PERSONALLY - don't enjoy that style of filmmaking.)

Other notable films included:

It was a year of big budget flops and small budget gems:

Hollywood company Warner Bros. tried and failed to penetrate the Indian market with Chandni Chowk to China.

Hollywood-style thrillers Kurbaan, Blue, and 8 x 10 Tasveer all performed way under expectations, while relatively small films New York, Kaminey and Dev.D broke through the public consciousness.

The top two films of the year highlighted the current tension in Bollywood with the college-based 3 Idiots striking a nerve with NRIs and the middle class and southern masala remake Wanted hitting it big with the masses.

Low brow comedy did well with Akshay Kumar's De Dana Dan and Kambakkht Ishq and Ajay Devgan's All the Best cracking the top 10.

And not one or two but THREE female directors debuted this year - Nandita Daas with Firaaq, Zoya Akhtar with Luck by Chance, and Sooni Taraporevala with Little Zizou.

THE ACTORS AND ACTRESSES

Saifeena remained the gift that kept on giving. And they gave and gave and gave hilariously pompous interviews for Kurbaan.

Akshay Kumar had a bad year in between getting arrested and having 3 flops and two semi-hits.

Salman Khan was king of the world again after Wanted.

Ranbir Kapoor is officially the new IT BOY.

Shahid Kapoor proved he could act with Kaminey!

Industry sons Harman Baweja and Adhyayan Suman managed to get their daddys to finance a few more films. They flopped.

Konkona Sen Sharma had a great year with Luck by Chance and Wake Up Sid.

Rani and Preity seem on the way out.

Sanjay Dutt tried to run for office but the Supreme Court wouldn't grant him a waiver.

Shiney Ahuja spent time in jail for raping his young maid.

THE FILMFARE AWARDS

Okay, so these have not been awarded yet nor have the nominations been announced but here are my speculations!

Filmi Girl's Bet Best for Best Film: 3 Idiots
Filmi Girl's Pick: Wanted

Filmi Girl's Best Bet for Best Director: Vishal Bhardwaj for Kaminey
Filmi Girl's Pick: Prabhu Deva for Wanted

Filmi Girl's Best Bet for Best Actor: Aamir Khan for 3 Idiots
Filmi Girl's Pick: Shahid Kapoor for Kaminey

Filmi Girl's Best Bet for Best Actress: Priyanka Chopra for Kaminey
Filmi Girl's Pick: Katrina Kaif for Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani*

Filmi Girl's Best Bet for Best Supporting Actress: Katrina Kaif for New York**
Filmi Girl's Pick: Kalki Koechlin for Dev.D

Filmi Girl's Best Bet for Best Male Debut: NOT AWARDED
Filmi Girl's Pick: NOT AWARDED

Filmi Girl's Best Bet for Best Female Debut:Kalki Koechlin for Dev.D***
Filmi Girl's Pick: Kalki Koechlin for Dev.D

Filmi Girl's Best Bet for Best Music Director: Pritam for Love Aaj Kal
Filmi Girl's Pick: A.R. Rahman for Delhi 6

I can't comment on lyrics since I don't speak Hindi!

Filmi Girl's Best Best for Best Male Playback: Atif Aslam for "Tera Hone Laga Hoon" from Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani****
Filmi Girl's Pick: Roop Kumar Rathod for "Yaari Bina" from London Dreams

Filmi Girl's Best Best for Best Female Playback: Bela Shende for "Su Chhe" from What's Your Rashee?*****
Filmi Girl's Pick: Shruti Patak for "Rasiya" from Kurbaan

Filmi Girl's Honorary Best Villain Award: PRAKASH "PRAN" RAJ FROM Wanted
Filmi Girl's Honorary Best Comedian Award: Rajpal Yadav from De Dana Dan

Filmi Girl's Most Improved Award: John Abraham for New York
Filmi Girl's This Film Was Criminally Underappreciated Award: Aladin


*This was hard - I also loved Kangs in Raaz 2 and Koko in Wake Up Sid
**Actually I have no idea on this one but Kat isn't a bad guess.
***If they're smart... could also be Jackie from Aladin but I don't think she made a big enough impression.
****Maybe? This was the best straight-up male ballad, which the Filmfare people love but they also like giving awards to Sonu Niigaam and he sang on the ultra-popular 3 Idiots OST so they could go that way, too. Sonu on "Don't Say Alvida" from Main aurr Mrs. Khanna is also a possibility.
*****Again, I have a feeling that somebody will want to give WYR something and this is a good song and performance and there weren't really any good ballads this year. Shreya Ghoshal's "Tera Naina" from CC2C is a possibility but I think the prejudice against the film is too strong. Sunidhi had a couple good rockers like "Happening" from MAMK but nothing stands out. We'll see, I guess...

MEMORABLE SCENES AND SONGS


"Emotional Attachyar" from Dev.D


Farhan Akhtar's Bollywood Hero training from Luck by Chance - the good part starts about 2:25 in.


Saif sells it in "Aaj Din Chadheya" from Love Aaj Kal.


The "Dhan Te Nan" trailer for Kaminey!


Ranbir Kapoor proves he is the cutest thing on earth in Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani! Who could hate this man?!


Style-bhai and some special guests in "Jalwa" from Wanted!




8 comments:

dayshaze said...

I tried to sit through Kaminey and it was horrible. I feel like I need to give it another try, though.

I've had LAK on my Netflix queue for a month now, and I just can't seem to get a copy.

Gosh, I hope Netflix add some of these newer movies soon.

It also saddens that Rani and Preity are on their way out. I think they've got oodles of talent, and Bollywood (like Hollywood) doesn't know what to do with aging ingenues. (God, aging? Rani's 31! That's not aging.)

Filmi Girl said...

@dayshaze I'll be honest and say I didn't care much for Kaminey either. I don't know if you saw my most disappointing of 2009 list but that was on there.

Ajab Prem Ki is SO CUTE and I totally agree about Rani and Preity - esp. since they are about my age. :(

dayshaze said...

What is it about Saif and Kareena (or Kareena) you don't like? I've noticed a couple of postings where you comment on their real-life pairing.

She seems like an okay actress. (TBH, being new to this B'wood thing, I thought that Kareena was famous for BEING Saif's gf. I didn't realize she was actually a commodity prior to dating Saif.)

Other than looking like Paris Hilton, I don't understand?

Filmi Girl said...

@dayshaze Oh!!! Don't get me wrong!! I love them both! I just also love mocking their pompous interviews and Bebo's hilariously unselfaware quotes.

Kareena is a really good actress and if you haven't seen Jab We Met, I'd suggest watching it right away!

Saif was one of my favorites but after all of his plastic surgery this year and a couple of roles where he vainly tried to play 30ish when clearly he is not, I've lost my taste for him.

You should check out Parineeta if you haven't yet!

Ami said...

Saif had plastic surgeries? Really??

I love your last two newly instated awards..especially on Aladin :P

I love Kareena in Asoka, and she'll always be the perfect Poo (K3G) for me..but I watched JWM for the first 30 min and was bored outta my skull~ ..Shahid being a wood was not helping either. I couldn't even manage to finish it. I'm really not liking her being the lead actress in Ra-1. Maybe coz that's SRK's vanity project and he's (sorta) famous for jinxing the films he loves.. (altho RNBDJ did well, but that's prolly due to Adi's prowess as a director).. and now that Bebo's reportedly gonna be in it, my hope for the film is suffering a double setback.

Ranbir somehow always reminds me of his grandpa..eep. Maybe he'll give me a role that'll make me forget Raj Kapoor some day soon.

Filmi Girl said...

@ami Saif has been Mr. Boxtox for at least a year... it's ruined his faced.

And are you being serious on Aladin because I really enjoyed it and I thought I was the only one. :)

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like JWM! Kareena is the perfect Poo in real life and on film! I loved her in Tashan, too. And I even liked her in Kambakkht Ishq.

B.H.Harsh said...

Great write-up there! Esp. happy to see someone else too appreciating John in New York! :) I thought he was fab there.

And yea, I too liked Aladin. Infact, i feel it was slightly better than the other release that week - London dreams (Salman rocked in it though!)

Am yet to see 'Ajab prem..' though :(

Bombay Talkies said...

Does Little Zizou count as a 2009 film? I remember seeing its second premiere at SALTAF two Novembers ago...which would make it an '08 release. (LOVED it though...Boman Irani and Sooni Taraporevala did an interview afterward and Boman was absolutely adorable.)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl