Wednesday, January 13, 2010

2000s: A Decade in Review - 2008

Better late than never, right?! I have 2009 ready to go, too.

Question: Is anyone interested in the Filmfare Awards rehash from last year? I have all my theories and speculation posts from my old blog and would be happy to repost if people want to look over the pictures and whatnot.

Anyways... 2008! The year of Ghajini v. Rab Ne!

THE FILMS

The top 5 grossing films of 2008 were:

#1 Ghajini


#2 Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi


#3 Singh is Kinng


#4 Race


#5 Golmaal Returns



Other notable films:

Ashutosh Gowarikar's epic Jodhaa-Akbar finally came out this year.

Fluffy rom-coms had a good year with Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na, Bachna Ae Haseeno, and Dostana.

Fictional terrorists had a comeback with A Wednesday, Aamir, Mission Istanbul, Heroes, and Black & White.

My favorite film of the decade came out this year: Tashan.

THE ACTORS AND ACTRESSES

Priyanka Chopra tricked everyone into thinking she could act with Fashion and remained one of the top names in the industry despite God Tussi Great Ho, Love Story 2050, and Drona.

Abhishek Bachchan had mixed year playing a superhero, gay guy, and a gangster.

Director Farhan Akhtar debuted as an actor in Rock On!!.

Snoop Dogg made the first big appearance in a Bollywood film by an American hip hop artist by doing a cameo in Singh is Kinng.

Ajay Devgan's serious work flopped but his comedy was popular with Sunday and Golmaal Returns.

The world was gifted the greatest gift we could ever receive: SAIFEENA.

Aamir busted box offices - again - with Ghajini.

FILMFARE AWARDS (awarded 2009)

Best film: Jodhaa-Akbar
Best director: Ashutosh Gowarikar for Jodhaa-Akbar
Best actor: Hrithik Roshan for Jodhaa-Akbar
Best actress: Priyanka Chopra for Fashion*
Best supporting actor: Arjun Rampal for Rock On!!**
Best supporting actress: Kangana Ranaut for Fashion***
Best male debut: TIE! Farhan Akhtar and Imran Khan****
Best female debut: Asin for Ghajini*****

Best music director: A.R. Rahman for Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na
Best lyricist: Javed Akhtar for "Jashn-E-Bahara" from Jodhaa Akbar
Best male playback: Sukhwinder Singh for "Haule Haule" from Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
Best female playback: Shreya Ghoshal for "Teri Ore" from Singh Is Kinng

Filmi Girl's Best Villain: Kay Kay Menon for Drona
Filmi Girl's Best Comedian: Abhishek Bachchan for Dostana

*One can only assume the judges did not actually see the film. I actually agree with Ashutosh on this one.
**And well deserved. Arjun did a fantastic job in Rock On!! and it wasn't an easy role.
***There was actually a lot of good competition in this category with Kirron Kher, Bipasha Basu, Ratna Pathak, and Shahana Goswami all giving very good performances.
****And I'm sure Adhyayan Suman and Harman Baweja were hanging their heads in shame... should have waited a year to debut, boys - 2009 was wide open!
*****I love the hubris of giving Asin a 'best debut' award when she had been working in Southern films for yeeeeeeears.

MEMORABLE SONGS AND SCENES


There is only one, really... "What? The party's over?"


Atif Aslam steamed up my cold, dark heart with "Pehli Nazar" from Race. Also, remember the stable make-out scene? And Anil Kapoor eating watermelon? Good times...


Tashan was a hit with me and some other people on the Internet!


Snoop Dogg did a Bollywood video for Singh is Kinng!


This song won Sukhwinder Singh Best Male Playback!


Although I preferred this one...

It's so hard to pick memorable scenes from a year so close! What are yours?!

3 comments:

dayshaze said...

Filmigirl, great picks. I've only just started devouring B'wood flicks in mass quantity, and haven't seen most of these.

I saw Race, and thought it was amazing - not plotwise, of course, but because it bought Bollywood cinema to a completely new level of professionalism. The cinematography was spot on, the pacing was spot on. It was a suspense-thriller very similar to an American suspense-thriller, and I loved it.

It was also nice to Saif acting his age (as compared to Hum Tum when he's supposed to be in his mid-20s, or Salaam Namaste when he's supposed to be in his mid-20s, or any number of other movies when he's supposed to be mid-20s.) Someone needs to tell him he's almost 40.

And, of course, seeing Anil Kapoor in anything is always a treat.

That's it. I'll stop falling all over Race. I just liked it.

I have yet to see ANY movie with Aamir Khan in it (I should get on that,) I just saw my first two Hrithik Roshan films (that first one where he plays two identical strangers that fall in love with the rich girl). OMG - that movie was so bad I had to turn it off midway through and I NEVER do that. The other one was Dhoom 2 (where he was hot as hell.) He was seriously the best part of the movie. Argh, I need to see movies where Hrithik actually acts. Any suggestions?

Love the blog. I check it sporadically during the week and love that I don't have to leaf through the indiscernible "official" Bollywood blogs because you do it for me! Thanks!

Filmi Girl said...

Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your comment. :)

If you haven't seen anything with Aamir, you might try "Rangeela" - which is a little older (1996) but is a very cute film that goes "behind-the-scenes" in Bollywood.

lvrplfc4l said...

I like all your choices if I could add two they would be Black and White and Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! Black and White for Anil Kapoor and it's story. Oye Lucky for Abhay Deol who makes the most interesting choices of any young actor in Bollywood.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl